Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
If you want something that is 7inch and has a keyboard I recommend the Viliv S7 its probably the same price as the the eee pad Slider and it can run Windows, Android, Ubuntu or just about any other operating system you want. Plus the battery life is superb at nearly 10 hours and it weighs 1.8 pounds rather than two pounds. The Viliv S7 seems like a better choice for your needs. Here is some demonstrations
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TSuco9vNGU
Where to buy it
http://www.dynamism.com/viliv-s7-premium.shtml
Thanks for the links. A neat little toy, but not exactly what I'm looking for. It has the advantage of being able to run x86 software. Battery life looks impressive (for x86, but comparable to most tablets) I'll just say that for a variety of reasons, XP (or even linux) on a netbook tends to annoy me. Generally the screen resolution creates problems.

That said, for a little extra weight, I'd prefer the larger 10" screen. Not to mention, based on what I've seen, I like the Slider form factor (sliding vs swiveling) much better. Portability wise, it's comparable to a 10", in other words, not nearly as portable as a 7" tablet.

The tablets have the advantage of instant on (even if versus a couple of seconds). I love resistive, but I think capacitive works better for tablets. Most of the tablets have GPS and multiple cameras (mediocre thought they may be). The Viliv doesn't have an accelerometer, which I'd believe I'd find annoying pretty quickly.

Ideally, I'd love a 7" Slider, about 1.2 pounds, 1280x768, wifi only, full usb, gps, pen technology, insert other standard features here.

However, I fear if a couple competitive 7" tablets don't show up soon, the size may be dead for a while. Samsung could easily update the original Tab, and we haven't seen any sign of the 8.9 version. A lot of the delay in seeing a 7" may be due to waiting for 3.2 with support for the lower resolution screens (I'd prefer a higher res screen like the 10" anyway). It may just be the best idea to go with a 10", as I may be waiting forever for a decent 7".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Thanks for the links. A neat little toy, but not exactly what I'm looking for. It has the advantage of being able to run x86 software. Battery life looks impressive (for x86, but comparable to most tablets) I'll just say that for a variety of reasons, XP (or even linux) on a netbook tends to annoy me. Generally the screen resolution creates problems.

That said, for a little extra weight, I'd prefer the larger 10" screen. Not to mention, based on what I've seen, I like the Slider form factor (sliding vs swiveling) much better. Portability wise, it's comparable to a 10", in other words, not nearly as portable as a 7" tablet.

The tablets have the advantage of instant on (even if versus a couple of seconds). I love resistive, but I think capacitive works better for tablets. Most of the tablets have GPS and multiple cameras (mediocre thought they may be). The Viliv doesn't have an accelerometer, which I'd believe I'd find annoying pretty quickly.

Ideally, I'd love a 7" Slider, about 1.2 pounds, 1280x768, wifi only, full usb, gps, pen technology, insert other standard features here.

However, I fear if a couple competitive 7" tablets don't show up soon, the size may be dead for a while. Samsung could easily update the original Tab, and we haven't seen any sign of the 8.9 version. A lot of the delay in seeing a 7" may be due to waiting for 3.2 with support for the lower resolution screens (I'd prefer a higher res screen like the 10" anyway). It may just be the best idea to go with a 10", as I may be waiting forever for a decent 7".
The best 7 inch tablet that exist right now is the HTC Flyer at least in my opinion, because of sense, pen feature, and the build quality. Also the Flyer has a 1.5ghz processor that is single core so in single threaded applications (aka most applications) it is faster.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
It's as if it was meant to be. I was lurking and made it just in time for the 4000th post!

Congrats everyone!

Some of us are talking on Google+ (I will be begin more actively posting soon). Get an invite and join us!
Lets go for 10,000 and more until MaeMo is gone forever.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
The best 7 inch tablet that exist right now is the HTC Flyer at least in my opinion, because of sense, pen feature, and the build quality. Also the Flyer has a 1.5ghz processor that is single core so in single threaded applications (aka most applications) it is faster.
Also... already has Gingerbread (Android 2.3.x)--not stuck waiting like the rest of us Galaxy Tab people. I bumped into a guy at Best Buy while perusing demo units. He saw me listening to podcasts on my own Samsung Galaxy Tab using my Motorola S305 stereo bluetooth headset and started asking my questions about my tablet. He LOVED the fact that I was slipping it into my hip pocket (sharing my wallet in that same pocket) and that it didn't look like it took up too much room--very portable. He owns a business and he already had an iPad 2 and didn't like it for a myriad of reasons and wanted to give an Android tablet a shot--and he was already sold on the 7-inch size. We started talking over the demo devices and in the end it seemed like the HTC Flyer was the best, really. He didn't need a carrier (he already had a data plan on his phone and could tether from it, if he wanted to--but 90% of the time he'd be using SOME kind of wifi either at work, home, trips, etc. anyway). The single biggest clincher, to me, was that it already had Android 2.3.x and the pretty nice tablet-sized HTV SenseUI. He left pretty happy. Kinda wish I'd had my business cards with me to follow-up--but then, I'm not a salesperson. heh
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Lets go for 10,000 and more until MaeMo is gone forever.
Sadly, both look likely to happen pretty quickly at this rate. Remember, the first posting wasn't even a year ago yet. (August 24, 2010, by our esteemed colleague and fellow Galaxy Tab owner, etuoyo)

Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Also... already has Gingerbread (Android 2.3.x)--not stuck waiting like the rest of us Galaxy Tab people. I bumped into a guy at Best Buy while perusing demo units. He saw me listening to podcasts on my own Samsung Galaxy Tab using my Motorola S305 stereo bluetooth headset and started asking my questions about my tablet. He LOVED the fact that I was slipping it into my hip pocket (sharing my wallet in that same pocket) and that it didn't look like it took up too much room--very portable. He owns a business and he already had an iPad 2 and didn't like it for a myriad of reasons and wanted to give an Android tablet a shot--and he was already sold on the 7-inch size. We started talking over the demo devices and in the end it seemed like the HTC Flyer was the best, really. He didn't need a carrier (he already had a data plan on his phone and could tether from it, if he wanted to--but 90% of the time he'd be using SOME kind of wifi either at work, home, trips, etc. anyway). The single biggest clincher, to me, was that it already had Android 2.3.x and the pretty nice tablet-sized HTV SenseUI. He left pretty happy. Kinda wish I'd had my business cards with me to follow-up--but then, I'm not a salesperson. heh
Yah I wish I could own one but I have no money my gadget budget so I'm going to have to wait till my birthday in a month.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Sadly, both look likely to happen pretty quickly at this rate. Remember, the first posting wasn't even a year ago yet. (August 24, 2010, by our esteemed colleague and fellow Galaxy Tab owner, etuoyo)

i remember that first time I saw this thread. I was not aware of the OS named Android.

I kept reading and watching this thread, until someone posted the upcoming Samsung Captivate (which bootloader is open) on ATT. And then this thread became quite noisy at that moment. After a month of thinking, I decided to get an Android Device.

oh memories!

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJBgALfs1hI
The folks at USM (University of Southern Mississippi) are now providing Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1's to their students. The university will make special tailored apps and content for said tablet. Samsung must be happy and the students must be happy to get one atleast its a free distraction from the indentured servitude or student loans.
Edit: how about this link

Last edited by railroadmaster; 2011-08-02 at 18:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yA1WzEBE7
The folks at USM (University of Southern Mississippi) are now providing Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1's to their students. The university will make special tailored apps and content for said tablet. Samsung must be happy and the students must be happy to get one atleast its a free distraction from the indentured servitude or student loans.
You have a malformed video ID. Please correct it? I wanna see.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
If you want something that is 7inch and has a keyboard I recommend the Viliv S7 its probably the same price as the the eee pad Slider and it can run Windows, Android, Ubuntu or just about any other operating system you want. Plus the battery life is superb at nearly 10 hours and it weighs 1.8 pounds rather than two pounds. The Viliv S7 seems like a better choice for your needs. Here is some demonstrations
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TSuco9vNGU
Where to buy it
http://www.dynamism.com/viliv-s7-premium.shtml
Wow, sounds like the true successor to the Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200!

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy