I am really glad some others have started to point out how negative this forum can be. I have thought about getting an IT (already have an OQO, so not sure of the real need), but whenever I read this forum I realize that I will be constantly told "go look back" for almost any question. Sorry, if we are all not Linux experts and sorry if some people are not perfect when doing back searches. This is a FORUM, it exists to help people. Im sure some of the people here get tired of the same questions from "Newbies" but remember without "Newbies" thse devices will just be for you techies and will die since companies like Nokia are looking for mass market. Anyway, thanks to all of you that contribute with helpful thoughts.

Last edited by scottyb159; 2007-12-21 at 15:19. Reason: typo

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scottyb159 For This Useful Post:
Overall, I like OS2008. So I would have to give it a thumbs up.

Only complaint is the fact that they make it too difficult to get root access (I assume becomeroot isn't Nokia's work). To get my 800 to work with my phone, I have to uncomment a couple lines in a configuration file which requires root access.

I love the OS2008. I've only had my N800 for a few months and loved it. There wasn't too much I didn't like about OS2007, but now they've made a great thing awsome.

Visually it's way better! Larger icons make more finger friendly. Everything seems to be a little more faster especially the web browser.

So far I've installed:

Canola 2
Mplayer
Camera
Battle Gweled
CrazyParking

All of them installed with ease and seem to work pretty good. Canola2 is very nice although I haven't tried to add cover art yet. The photos sections is awsome!

My only issues that I have noticed with OS2008 so far are:

- When I use Mplayer the audio is off a bit from the video when using DivX. I started a post on this already. This kind of sucks because I use my N800 a lot for Divx movies.

- It seems when book marking multiple webpages it will use te same logo for all the bookmarks. I booked marked a local newpaper here and their bookmark was their logo. I then went on to book mark several other pages. When I went back to check them all, they all had the same logo, the newspaper one because I did that one first. So I deleted them all and started over. I found when you bookmarked a page I then closed the web browser, opened it again and then bookmarked a different page. This seemed to work and fix the problem. Not a big deal until you've put in a lot of bookmarks and have to go back and delete them all.

- On OS2007 whenever I pushed a text field with my finger it went to the large keyboard, now it goes to the little keyboard and I have to push the directional pad for it to go to the big keyboard. I've played with the settings and nothing has changed. Not a big deal for me though.

- Although this is not really a problem and more of a pet peeve and it was the same on OS2007, I don't know why the screen comes on when charging the unit when it is turned off. Even though it set to black, the screen is still on and using power. Wouldn't it charge faster if the screen was off?

I know what you mean. There are always a few losers out there that feel they need to be little everyone out there with a question.

" GeneralAntilles" seems to do this in every post. He mentions about wasting his time a lot. If thats the case then why does he always leave smart *** replies? Not everyone is well versed in this stuff and everyone is a newbie at some point. Not everyone literally "sleeps" with their N800 like he does.

So "GeneralAntilles " don't waste "OUR" time with your childish dribble. If you want to answer a question, then go ahead. If not, simply go onto the next.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm very pleased with OS2008 on my N800. It seems faster, my battery seems to last considerably longer between charges, and I like the map application a LOT. I have gotten GPE contacts and calendar to work. I have not been able to get Gnumeric or Aisleriot Solitaire to work. When I go to CNN.com and watch a video it seems a lot smotther than it was under OS2007.

Skype and GizmoProject both seem to work fine.

I used the backup program on the N800 prior to upgrading and it remembered my wifi login passwords, bookmarks, etc.

I would give it a thumb UP.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I have to catch a train, but I have time to put two thumbs up. I've downloaded almost everything important to me except Canola.

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
There are at least a dozen good threads on the subject (two of which are on the front page). Why, exactly, do we need another one?
Actually, this is exactly why the site -- and I mean the site itself -- needs a chat room. (Because no one wants to wade through a 20 page thread for a quick answer.)

Originally Posted by scottyb159 View Post
I am really glad some others have started to point out how negative this forum can be. I have thought about getting an IT (already have an OQO, so not sure of the real need), but whenever I read this forum I realize that I will be constantly told "go look back" for almost any question. Sorry, if we are all not Linux experts and sorry if some people are not perfect when doing back searches. This is a FORUM, it exists to help people. Im sure some of the people here get tired of the same questions from "Newbies" but remember without "Newbies" thse devices will just be for you techies and will die since companies like Nokia are looking for mass market. Anyway, thanks to all of you that contribute with helpful thoughts.
I totally agree with you, and other opinions alike. I´m new to Linux, and to internet tablets. I´m waiting my N800 (arrives in january), and I know I´ll need all the help I can get here. GeneralAntilles is always very helpful, and I think he could have been just more polite.

I think the type of forum the iT needs is like the Ubuntu's, that welcomes new users, and has a very helpful community. Even for the noobiest questions they get simple and polite answers. It makes new users more comfortable in the process of learning about a new technology.

Well, thanks for the excellent forum we have here. For us iTableteers , it´s like our home

(sorry for my bad english...)

Last edited by salomc; 2007-12-21 at 17:38.

Guys,

Many thanks.
I'm traveling now and as soon as I get to a PC I will definitely install. Based on your comments I can't wait!
I've had this bad boy for several months and it has converted a lot of unnamed fruit buyers when they see all the programs I run and how I can program it anyway I want and buy as many batteries as I want.
Any one discover any hidden treasures or come up with new tricks with this update? lol

It's a 45 degree thumbs up from me! The Mozilla browser actually seems MUCH less stable to me --- it consistently locks up my tablet and causes reboots. HOWEVER, I see a lot of potential with this browser moving forward --- it's good for a first-step, and it can only keep getting better!

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Originally Posted by hordeman View Post
It's a 45 degree thumbs up from me! The Mozilla browser actually seems MUCH less stable to me --- it consistently locks up my tablet and causes reboots. HOWEVER, I see a lot of potential with this browser moving forward --- it's good for a first-step, and it can only keep getting better!
Whoa... that certainly isn't normal. Are there certain sites you're seeing this on? I haven't tried the entire Web (yet ) but I haven't see a crash so far, or reboot. Did you happen to restore a backup after install OS2008? Many people have reported problems do to that.