Posts: 172 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Albuquerque, NM, USA
Can someone with lots of applications installed please post a good video of Catorize in action, in English somewhere? (Preferably YouTube)

There already is this one, but it is old, low res, poorly lit, not in English, and very shaky.

I'm so disappointed that every modern mobile linux DE does a horrible long list of apps in alphabetical order, instead of breaking things up into categories, especially when the metadata is already there for sanely organizing things.

Phosh is awful. Plasma Mobile is awful (mysteriously, since the "full screen applications menu" in plasma desktop does this well). Lomiri is awful. Nemomobile is awful. Sailfish is awful. Android is awful. iOS is awful. Hildon (without catorize) is awful. At least, on some of them, you can manually organize things into drawers, but WTF!?!? The metadata is already there!

It's really infuriating. If I install pulseffects, so that I can EQ my awful earbuds and do other neat tricks, it pulls in about 100 LADSPA effects as dependencies, which all clog up my app drawer. If they were neatly hidden behind the "multimedia" menu, like on my plasma desktop, It wouldn't be a problem at all. If I just want to launch a terminal, it has to be in "favorites" or I have to scroll through a few screens of stuff I'll never ever directly run.

I've been hacking on some annoying things in phosh myself. I'm considering forking it, because all the bad decisions I'm fixing were made very much on purpose (in accordance with GNOME philosophy of "insane defaults with no settings to change them"), but I have no idea how to un-suck the app drawer.

Anyhow, enough ranting. If you have a working N900 and can post a video demonstrating why Catorize is a sane and reasonable way to organize a mobile app menu, (feel free to include commentary!), it could be helpful for improving the other mobile DEs.

Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Albuquerque, NM, USA
The modern "app drawer" is an "ad drawer". The icons for the applications on iOS and Android are advertisements for them. They are intended to make you spend a long time looking for the application you actually want to run, get distracted, and run something else which will expose you to monetization opportunities.

It makes sense (cynically) for iOS and Android to refuse to organize their applications in a reasonable way automatically, as it makes money for them and their business associates.

On Android, when you go to the Google Play Store, the apps are organized by type, but not once installed. Curious, eh?

However, there is no reason for the Free Software environments to abuse their users in that way.

The Following User Says Thank You to preflex For This Useful Post: