This is so cool, I'm just struggling to figure out how I can justify buying one. I wonder if I could put one of these in my camera and wirelessly transfer the images to my IT... Hummmm.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7755961

The Following User Says Thank You to abarrow For This Useful Post:
It is a cool idea, and I was sore tempted to get one for my camera. But on 2nd thought I decided it was unable to [conveniently] do what I would most want with it: wirelessly connect to wifi hotspots while traveling to upload pix on the go.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by abarrow View Post
This is so cool, I'm just struggling to figure out how I can justify buying one. I wonder if I could put one of these in my camera and wirelessly transfer the images to my IT... Hummmm.
Nope. I did manage to justify the purchase to myself and I was disappointed. Not only does it require a PC, but it doesn't actually work as advertised. The card comes with an adapter that connects via usb, and of course the adapter is required to make the thing work, so using it for the IT is out.

In fact, just using it with my PC was unsatisfying to say the least. It started to upload the two test pictures I gave it but failed to upload them completely.. Even though it said 'upload complete', the files never made it. And the web interface was a joke (ancient look&feel, loading problems, etc).

No, this product definitely not the answer I was looking for

Well, thanks at least for testing this Greyghost, and telling it like it is, avoiding the rest of us the same disppointment... I had my own doubts and suspicions from the start about this stuff, as looking just a little too good to be true. Making dumb objects do intelligent things is like magic : just pretense :-)

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ corpus christi texas
Was checkin this out http://www.ikontools.com/articles/eyefi-dissected
nice that it has an atheros chip set. Looks like a sma connector could be added easily..No support for ad-hoc wifi connections, seems like a future good idea, but im not to impressed..

I had the same thought myself recently..

Recently someone managed to hack their own Eye-Fi server.

So my idea was.. maybe have that run in python on the tablet, then have the card connect to the n800 (maybe through ad hoc so they're on the same network). Thus having any pictures your camera take transfer over to your tablet.

It seems it is possible. Since the python script basically tricks the Eye-Fi card into thinking your computer is the access point. (having seen the Eye-Fi card myself that my Uncle has he can have his Nikon D90 (SWEET CAMERA!) auto transfer images and video onto his Windows laptop at home. Somebody else in the comments is trying a similar thing. But he/she coudn't get the n800 to act as a Wifi point.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2009-04-03 at 19:50.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post: