I installed jSpeed and speedo and both of them are showing a speed from 1 to 7 km/h while I stay still . I rebooted the phone and it doesn't solve anything . Is this a bug ? It could be fixed ?

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Which speeds do you get if you are moving? Preferably in a vehicle with known speed.

Depending on how the software calculates the speed and how it handles different satellite visibility, there might be several reasons for the results you're getting.

Well , while being in a car it shows correctly because I watched the speedometer of car and the jSpeed and they shows same speed , but while standing still it shows unstable speeds from 1 to 7 km/h , and few times 0 .

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
Its the rotation of the earth/satellites I would think. At the equator the earth moves at about 25 km/h

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 116 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Joorin View Post
Depending on how the software calculates the speed and how it handles different satellite visibility, there might be several reasons for the results you're getting.
I also think it's related to the accuracy of the gps measurement (thus also to the amount of satellites you've locked on to). I'm guessing it could be somehow tinkered to look nicer on the speedometer software but probably at the expense of accuracy of the reading in really slow speeds.

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Mike Fila View Post
Its the rotation of the earth/satellites I would think. At the equator the earth moves at about 25 km/h
The earth's circumference is, roughly, 40000 km at the equator.

It makes a full turn in, roughly, 24 hours.

So, the earth moves at, roughly, 1700km/h at the equator.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
The moving while stationary thing has been a problem for as long as GPS has existed. The math is complicated just as much as the reasons are for the problem - there are a long list of factors that are difficult to eliminate, so every measurement will have error.

Some units will go in to averaging mode when they think you are stationary - convolving all the points in to an ellipse of error with you in the middle more or less at zero kph, others just give it to you raw. If you track this slow movement you'll see the points all roughly surround where you actually are.

It's not a bug, it can't be fixed, it's just a result of some amazing human ingenuity, the accuracy of it is astounding. Though I do understand when you feel it isn't :-)

Last edited by dchky; 2011-07-08 at 08:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
Originally Posted by Joorin View Post
The earth's circumference is, roughly, 40000 km at the equator.

It makes a full turn in, roughly, 24 hours.

So, the earth moves at, roughly, 1700km/h at the equator.
I meant to write per min wrote per hour in stead. So its 28 km/m and change at the equator. Times that number by the cosine of latitude and that is the speed where you are.