Originally Posted by wesgreen View Post
all of the software solutions caused me problems sooner or later. go with the cable.
Can you elaborate? I've only and always used the software solution on my N810 and previously on the N800. I never had an issue using memory sticks, hubs, mouses or keyboards.

I've contacted the manufacturer of the male mini-B to female A USB adapter that I mentioned earlier in this thread. I'll keep you guys posted on what I find.

Sounds like what I'm looking for is a mini-B that has the ID pin shorted to ground (instead of floating). This triggers the OTG feature of the N800's USB port. Technically, this is a mini-A connector, but "mini-B" seems to be used as a generic term for the connector. If anybody has recommendations of plugs they know to work with the N800, and are <$5 with shipping, please let me know.

Ended up purchasing the adapter. It wasn't wired to engage OTG, so opened it up and made the necessary modification. Just posting this as an FYI.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Boston Harbor
I'm finally looking into the uses of USB host on this device. I have simply become dependent on the critical uses of this thing when I'm traveling. Despite my best efforts, it appears this holy Male Micro-B/Female A USB adapter is bloody impossible to find. I found one on amazon but it went to a Type B USB female end. I saw the Motorola cable you guys are modifying and it looks like a good idea but I don't have the patience for modifying that. I found a possible alternative on newegg for $5 but I don't know if it will work. Anyone try this with their N810?

Nippon Labs AD-USBAMCB-FM Adapter

It looks great but I have no idea if it will let me connect to flash drives/readers and the common lot. It appears to be a full 5-pin but I have no way of verifying continuity. If anyone has anything to say about it I'd love to hear it. I see myself requiring this capability more and more each time I go somewhere new. I can't depend on a hotel computer to move data between MP3 players and flash drives. Funny enough, if I can get this to work with either one, that's more than sufficient. Thanks!

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA

I don't understand what the problem is. I've used tons of different types of usb cables on my n810 without problems; cables came from Big Lots, hand-me-downs, other products, etc. There's nothing special about the cable unless you really "desire" one that automatically triggers host mode... which isn't required at all. I just use the software package to switch to host mode, and "walah!"... it just works.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Boston Harbor
I got my cheap adapter to work but I specifically have that problem where initializing host mode is a chore. USBcontrol is broken and the only way I get this working is with an app I don't want: Advanced Power Monitor. Is there any other way to get this working? I don't want an application that hijacks the D-bus for a minute at startup. :/

Originally Posted by daemonforce View Post
I got my cheap adapter to work but I specifically have that problem where initializing host mode is a chore. USBcontrol is broken
I've used USBControl for years without major issues. If anything, the only thing I have to do is press "Host" two or three times instead of once. Even then, I can switch everything in less than 30 seconds.

Maybe the issue you are having is that you are using devices that draw more power than the N810 can provide? In that case, you will need a powered USB hub.

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by ee_gary View Post
I should add this is for the N800.
Do you know which operating system you are running? OTG does not work on OS2007. You are getting replies specific to the N810, because this thread is for the N810. The N810 never used OS2007.

To make OTG work on the N800, you have to upgrade to the OS2008 operating system. Then you can have limited USB host operation either by software switching or by plugging in an adapter cable.

(For most users, the limitations are not even noticeable. Keyboards, hubs, mice and most mass-storage devices will work - though not all, as Fragos points out. Most cameras will not work. I have a card reader that sends my N800 crazy if I plug in the card from my camera, but it works fine with any other card I have tried.)

You have found out correctly that the relevant adapter cable has a mini-a plug, not the micro in previously quoted links (they are for the N810). You need something like this: http://cgi.ebay.ca/USB-Host-Cable-mi...item3cb22065f7 .

Last edited by scaler; 2010-11-08 at 02:59.

So today I got a Bamboo pen and touch tablet. I would like to know if it is possible to connect it to my Nokia N810 and use it somehow. i will do anything that will not permanetly block my Nokia. And i'd also like to know how to do this.