We should probably ask Jolla when they are going to produce some ETA about other regions. One month and one year are quite different.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 228 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Seeing as the phone seems to be compatible with Australian networks - Vodafone, anyone thinking of importing one?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
So... this will work with AT&T it seems like. Hmm... I'm on AT&T.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
So... this will work with AT&T it seems like. Hmm... I'm on AT&T.
Doesn't look like it, unless you are OK with 2G.

Jolla's device supported frequencies:

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
UMTS: 900/2100 MHz

AT&T mobility, USA: (from here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_Mobility#Network).

GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz PCS
UMTS/HSPA+: 850 MHz CLR, 1900 MHz PCS

Which means, 2G would probably work, 3G - no. LTE isn't clear, since we don't know what frequencies the device supports, and it's not enabled in software yet anyway.

Basically with T-Mobile is the same story. 2G would work, but nothing else so far.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Doesn't look like it, unless you are OK with 2G.

Jolla's device supported frequencies:

GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
UMTS: 900/2100 MHz

AT&T mobility, USA: (from here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_Mobility#Network).

GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz PCS
UMTS/HSPA+: 850 MHz CLR, 1900 MHz PCS

Which means, 2G would probably work, 3G - no. LTE isn't clear, since we don't know what frequencies the device supports, and it's not enabled in software yet anyway.
Well damn. I stand corrected...

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Perth, Australia
Originally Posted by skyjumper View Post
Seeing as the phone seems to be compatible with Australian networks - Vodafone, anyone thinking of importing one?
I'm getting one, I want to show my support for Jolla, and am putting my wallet where my mouth is . A bit of a risk with no warranty, but hopefully It'll be alright (I'd feel a lot happier if the flasher was released).

I'm on Virgin Mobile (Optus), so will see how compatible the device is, although I don't mind switching provider if I need to.

Last edited by mattaustin; 2013-12-02 at 05:19.

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by mattaustin View Post
I'm getting one, I want to show my support for Jolla, and am putting my wallet where my mouth is . A bit of a risk with no warranty, but hopefully I'll be alright (I'd feel a lot happier if the flasher was released).

I'm on Virgin Mobile (Optus), so will see how compatible the device is, although I don't mind switching provider if I need to.
Great work! It will be interesting to hear about your experiences from a local. Now we just have to hope the "retail" version isn't any different h/w wise to what you get. Now I just need some money....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbE9AV3S8xI&t=4m09s

We don't have any plans for North America at the moment
We'll have to wonder how long will that "at the moment" last. Alternatively, if they'll enable LTE and it would be compatible, it can be an option.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-12-03 at 04:40.

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbE9AV3S8xI&t=4m09s

We'll have to wonder how long will that "at the moment" last. Alternatively, if they'll enable LTE and it would be compatible, it can be an option.
It's unfortunate really when it boils down to a frequency limitation which appears unnecessary to build into any device these days. It seems to follow suit however with other areas of hardware corner-cutting and cost savings.

Canada is not much differernt from the US in terms of frequencies. T-Mobile is/was the parallel reference for a long time in relation to reasonably affordable service providers in Canada.

I would need to switch my carrier in order to use a Jolla in Canada. I'm not so sure it's worth the hassle. Certainly not the cost! It's looking more and more like next generation Jolla devices for us here in North America. At a glance Jolla LTE isn't looking promising for supported frequencies in Canada.

In US T-Mobile is the most sensible provider because it uses no contracts, offers a plan without data caps and has decent and responsive support. Anyway, the way things look now, it's probably good to wait.