Closed Thread
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Originally Posted by chainsawbike
If the trustee decides that something that is illegal is in the best interests of the legal entity they are a trustee for, then the legal entity is liable for the consequences, and in all honesty if you have sane laws then the legal consequences in their own right should make it not in their best interests. The trustee can also choose to step down.
And this is the exact scenario that caused my resignation. When I was unable to trust (root of the word "trustee") that acts being carried out were legal. So, not as bizarre a scenario as you may think, having already happened here.
OUCH! Read again your own answer and what you answered to. You probably want to correct that. The original statement is already non-conclusive - to put it politely *) - and the answer is :-x

*) I learned not to state a single word without lengthy explanation here, so: "If the trustee decides that something that is illegal is in the best interests of the legal entity" (assuming that implied "and acts accordingly" was meant, since a decision in itself doesn't establish any consequence) then definitely NOT "the legal entity is liable for the consequences". The trustee is. Or are you already talking about nonsense like "members of e.V acting in best interest of e.V"? Even then the trustee is the one liable, not the legal entity that trusts him.

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-10-02 at 03:13.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
You mean a new site with more or less the same look and feel using the freely usable parts in your pov ?
then it can be like scavange all floss/distributable contents set up a new site exclude the maemo with a new name and redirect or request users with a new banner the new home let hifo be there as it was to be the legal body so one has access to the xxx bits and in time the new site/repos/new board would be what needed to keep the community up and running .
just my naive thoughts
no frowning/bikering/couping pls .

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Though I do see the need for Council diminishing with the size of the community. Frankly, with the levels of participation right now (via recent polls, elections, and even site visit stats), the need for a focusing group to channel those voices into 3 or 5 is less needed. When we were thousands, or even hundreds, it was needed. The last vote total was what, 83? Do we really need 5 people to "focus" that small a group?
Quick reply...

83 voters, 10 candidates? That's just sad... I mean, I appreciate that 10 people were ready to take on position in the Council, but why were there so few votes? Was Banner not prominent enough? Did members not receive the notification to their email? By the way, a request: separate emails for thread-notifications and for official-elections. There is no way I would overwhelm my main email with thousands of notification from threads, and yet I would greatly appreciate receiving election-notices to my main email. Is it possible?

Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
OUCH! Read again your own answer and what you answered to. You probably want to correct that. The original statement is already non-conclusive - to put it politely *) - and the answer is :-x
The answer is what it is. I did not trust those acting on behalf of HiFo (mainly YOU, as Tech Staff). As a result, I foresaw there could be legal repercussions, which I would wind up being the scapegoat for. So, I resigned and left before I could be nailed to the cross you were forging.

Is that clear? Should I google-translate that into German to make it clearer for you?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
You mean a new site with more or less the same look and feel using the freely usable parts in your pov ?
Tell me about the URL that's not freely usable, which I can download via wget.
Tell me which parts would be missing when creating a complete mirror/clone of what's freely available under *.maemo.org, and filling in the gaps with FOSS stuff like midgard etc. I'm not aware of a single bit you (the user) could get from maemo.org that would be illegal (or impossible) to provide from a mirror.
Actually complete website already should be available from multiple sources like webarchive.org, and Nokia themselves encouraged users to create repository mirrors. Autobuilder is also free afaik. The rootstrap bits are probably bound to sombody "connecting his N900 to the server" to use them, since they are only provided under EULA and need authentication via IMEI. However publishing stuff built using them is again explicitly allowed, and cauldron (autobuilder) doesn't publish the rootstrap bits, it only *uses* them. (please forgive minor heissenbergs in the last one, since I'm not 100% into that, ask freemangordon for details, he's cauldron maintainer) Cauldron itself again is FOSS afaik.

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-10-02 at 03:28.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Quick reply...

83 voters, 10 candidates? That's just sad...
Those were the official election results. Over 5,000 ballots went out (it was 5,600-ish the last one I pulled the trigger on). There were no site outages during the election. There was a banner up for weeks before, during, and even after (took a while to get it to go away). But only 83 people bothered.

This is not new. Look at the past several elections. You have to go back to 2012 to get above 200 votes. Even the coding competition only had about 100 votes per category.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Is that clear? Should I google-translate that into German to make it clearer for you?
Try google-translate to whatever language YOU use! You basically say you stepped down since you decided to do something illegal in best interest of community, despite allegedly community was liable for what you decided.

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-10-02 at 03:34.

Tell me about the URL that's not freely usable, which I can download via wget.
What he's saying is: If it would be so easy to replicate, then go do it, and convince people to go to your "meamo.org", where you can be king of your own castle.

But you can't. Because as much as you can scrape every page off a web site, there's a difference between having a static copy of something, and having an active system serving it. If it were as simple as having a snapshot of it, why would we need this site at all? Google has a copy, we can scrap it now, right?

And no, there are plenty of parts that the general public does NOT have copies off. The database that is the heart of the system, for example. It's "all FOSS", right? Or at least CC. But we protect that, and don't allow even read access to 99% of it. Why is that?

Because it has value. And value is the only attribute companies see.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
It's utterly useless to argue with somebody who thinks IP can get defined based on a fuzzy "we paid for IT,

IP? Who's talking about IP? Right,, you are, clearly. Whatever.

Try google-translate to whatever language YOU use!
Ah, again, it's clearly not your problem interpreting things. Nope.. All everyone elses problem. And still you claim I "don't get it", pointing out the mote...

I give up. I'm just very pleased right now that I'm not at all involved or invested in the "Neo" project, based on your clear lack of understand of how companies and the legal world operates.

Fact of the matter is, most people here (thankfully) have a clear understanding of how the real world works, and realize what I'm saying is true. We've argued with you, around you, and have effectively circumvented you on occasion, just to keep things going. So long as that continues, the lights will stay on, I guess.

I've wasted too much time here. I'm off for a bit. Someone else will have to baby-sit Joerg for a while. Not my turn to watch him any more. I wish those here well, and hope there's a place to come back to if I decide to at some point.

Good luck Maemo.

Last edited by woody14619; 2014-10-02 at 03:40.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
What he's saying is: If it would be so easy to replicate, then go do it, and convince people to go to your "meamo.org", where you can be king of your own castle.

But you can't. Because as much as you can scrape every page off a web site, there's a difference between having a static copy of something, and having an active system serving it. If it were as simple as having a snapshot of it, why would we need this site at all? Google has a copy, we can scrap it now, right?

And no, there are plenty of parts that the general public does NOT have copies off. The database that is the heart of the system, for example. It's "all FOSS", right? Or at least CC. But we protect that, and don't allow even read access to 99% of it. Why is that?

Because it has value. And value is the only attribute companies see.
Blabla! show me the URL! (No, I have no ambitions to be king of anything. Unlike our MASTER a few posts above who already thinks he _is_. "...why is that?" Because I swore to protect user privacy data with "my life". Which happens to be exactly The Maemo Community you try to abolish now, and deprive them of their right to IGNORE votes. Good luck with your new MCeV rushing over all techstaff carefully selected professionals who know their business, unlike you evidently)

"watch jOERG" PATHETIC! Who failed to watch you? And no worries about Neo project, we got real professionals there, you wouldn't stand a chance to participate.
Just to help you out in case you have any ambitions to reach the needed level nevertheless: IP

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-10-02 at 04:23.

Closed Thread

Tags
discussion, legal body