Posts: 186 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Canada
I think the internet tablet is a great idea with much potential, but Nokia still has alot of work do if they wish to keep it going. What really frustrated me when I bought my n800 was the lack of business applications, such as a calendar/to-do list built into the UI. I guess they thought the developers would finish all that for them ...

I've been using mine more and more. Maemo mapper has been very good to me and I'm taking it on a road trip (probably wouldn't take it without the N800). I've been using the calendar and to do list (third party) pretty frequently. It's grown on me and I'd probably use Gizmo more if I could be moved to pay yet another party for phone service. I'm kinda annoyed by the codec limitations and the lack of Java and up to date flash, but I'm pretty satisfied with it. I think they ought to come down on the price of the Bluetooth GPS device though. Also the camera..the camera. I know they didn't want it to be a picture taking thing but I've had many opportunities to use the camera (e-mailing friends, etc) where a decent camera would have been priceless. i'd probably drop cash for an N900 if these issues were resolved. If not I'll probably hold onto the N800 until it no longer works.

This from someone who still has and uses a Fossil Wrist PDA.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
One thing I can pass along of the feedback I've gotten so far:

Nokia HAS heard you (us). There is going to be a "third quarter push" to get the momentum restarted (think American football, not yearly quarter). I don't know what that means specifically. I don't have a hard picture of what's coming. But I have renewed hope that the device is being supported in the right places-- and yes, that includes the most important piece: customer service.

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ Metro Detroit Michigan USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Heck, richie, fpp and I may just be feeling a bit of sophomore angst... lol. I do believe it's at a make-or-break point and the next major OS release will be a good indicator of whether it still has legs or not.

I do believe Nokia is solidly behind it, at least one program anyway. Devices like the N800 represent the next communications paradigm, so the company needs to be! But the sad experience of the N-Gage aptly demonstrates that executives will not hesitate to pull the plug even after investing a lot of money IF the product does not meet expectations. We'll see.

And thanks for the personal feedback. I'll try to do even better.

Hi Texrat,
Don't get too full of angst. You can also take it that the devices are doing what they're supposed to do. Both of mine are :-) There's allways little things to tweak, just not as earthshaking as a new os release. If you take a break, don't be gone too long. I also value your perspective and advice highly.

Best Regards,
Peter

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
One thing I can pass along of the feedback I've gotten so far:

Nokia HAS heard you (us). There is going to be a "third quarter push" to get the momentum restarted (think American football, not yearly quarter). I don't know what that means specifically. I don't have a hard picture of what's coming. But I have renewed hope that the device is being supported in the right places-- and yes, that includes the most important piece: customer service.
Thanks for the update. I sure hope they bring in a new "quarterback" who will rally the N800 team. I have $400.00 on them.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Third quarter push? Are you indicating that the game is more than half over with the N800?

They just shipped the first of the Navicore software to the US... You remember Navicore... it was on the device in all the photos they pushed on us pre-release. And how about the dang case? Their football team has been playing the first half without helmets then.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
No no YoDude-- please don't read any sort of life expectancy into that analogy. The point was a reinvigorated effort is underway, just as a team down at the half will implement. I'm eager to see how it manifests.

Ok Tex,

Gave this some more thought. I think Nokia is on the right track with the N800; apparently so does Intel. So to keep the analogy going, don't fall flat after the 2nd half. Nokia has a lead; use it or lose it.

The 'killer app' for the n800 is the screen, or more accurately the screens' view of the web. Give it what it deserves - the full web 2.0 experience. I hate that terrn but you know what I mean. Ditch opera and put effort into minimo if you have to. Update Flash. JVM would be nice too and it would open the device to more developers.

Ok, it's not a PDA. We get it. But to move in the states I think it *has* to have decent PIM and email. needs to be able to view .doc and .xls Corp america is what will get these moving & that's what they need. In large parts of US, wireless is not available everywhere ( los of dead space ) and data plans are still expen$ive - so the google/yahoo won't always cut it, we need local storage of contacts, calendar, etc.

Thumb keyboard is nice, but make it a transparent overlay so you can still see what you are typing into. And just to reiterate, make the darn thing rugged ( hard cover - cough cough ) so I am not afraid to take it anywhere I go. Make the usb port at least somewhat useful - host mode would be sweet but if nothing else let it charge from mini usb like half my other devices.

Better media payback - ok, it shows off screen. Skype/SIP - ehh. Nav - OK if it can orient itself like other $250 devices. Give us one-click root so mortals can tweak it - use UAC-like warning or turn screen red while root.

Oh yeah, one last thing - have it dispense CASH and beer!

I'm pulling for Nokia, but then again I'm a life-long Cubs fan.

The Following User Says Thank You to anderbr For This Useful Post:
Heck, richie, fpp and I may just be feeling a bit of sophomore angst... lol.
I wish, I wish... if anything, it'd be much more like midlife crisis over here unfortunately :-)

Oh, and don't you let the trolls bring you down, huh ? If you hunker down, they win, and *they* are not the useful ones :-)

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by anderbr View Post
Ok, it's not a PDA. We get it. But to move in the states I think it *has* to have decent PIM and email. needs to be able to view .doc and .xls Corp america is what will get these moving & that's what they need. In large parts of US, wireless is not available everywhere ( los of dead space ) and data plans are still expen$ive - so the google/yahoo won't always cut it, we need local storage of contacts, calendar, etc.
I tend to agree.

I think the problem with Internet Tablets is the way are being perceived - they're seen as frivilous, unecessary accessories because they're "just" internet tablets. Unlike PDAs the Internet Tablets offer no obviously essential functionality out of the box, and this is why they often receive positive reviews with downbeat conclusions such as "nice gadget if you have the spare change" or "useful device looking for a market". The same review for a PDA would have a totally different conclusion along with a strong "buy it" recommendation.

Nokia need to address the "need" factor of the tablets - offering the internet in your pocket is not, apparently, a compelling enough reason for the masses to buy into the Internet Tablet concept. Eventually the great internet browsing functionality will migrate up to higher spec Windows Mobile devices eroding the lead Nokia currently has.

Nokia must offer more compelling software functionality on the tablets - an excellent email client (ideally with push email support), calendar, contacts and todo list all of which can be synchronised with common desktop software will make the future Internet Tablets a far more compelling purchase for the masses. Without this functionality they will remain niche devices until ultimately being eclipsed by competing devices that steal the best ideas from Nokia.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-05-16 at 12:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post: