I've got the N800 an 8GB and a 2GB in it, right now booting '08 off the main memory. Recenty I've noticed the thing super slow, Ive got alot installed maybe 30 free on the main. Also I run out of free space it tells me when I am surfing even tho I didn't. Anyways what are the pros and cons of booting from the MMC, say if I were to boot from the 8SDHC in the internal slot. Would the system be faster in any way? Performance increase?

I know it's been talked about here many times, I just searched and read some stuff, however I'd like to read people's thoughts now.

PS> IM A N00B

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by JFX View Post
I've got the N800 an 8GB and a 2GB in it, right now booting '08 off the main memory. Recenty I've noticed the thing super slow, Ive got alot installed maybe 30 free on the main. Also I run out of free space it tells me when I am surfing even tho I didn't. Anyways what are the pros and cons of booting from the MMC, say if I were to boot from the 8SDHC in the internal slot. Would the system be faster in any way? Performance increase?

I know it's been talked about here many times, I just searched and read some stuff, however I'd like to read people's thoughts now.

PS> IM A N00B
I'm running OS2008 on a 4GB SDHC (Class 6?) card in the internal slot of my N800. I don't think there's that much of a speed-up. However, that being said, I rarely boot up. As has been mentioned elsewhere, these tablets are designed to be left booted up 24/7/365. At most, I put mine if off-line mode to conserve battery if I know I'm not going to be using it for a while. It also goes on the charger every night.

While running, it's hard to quantify speed increases. As I tell others when they talk about upgrading their PCs: Yes, you will see a speed increase by upgrading RAM/CPU/etc...however, human nature tends to "get used" to that speed increase over a short period of time, to the point that, a few months later, people are lamenting how slow their computers are, and it's time for an upgrade.

I remember, when I had my TI-99/4A, turning up the volume to max while running a BASIC program. You could "hear" the computer chugging through the code. It was quite rhythmic.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson