Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by wek View Post
....snip....
So what do you say.
What my userland-aproach would need is the same setup of the
wireless part but just without DHCP, an IP-Address and any NAT-Rules.
Instead of that you would just do e.g. an "ifconfig wlan0 0.0.0.0" to bring
the interface up and start an applciation pointing to wlan0.
A good place to host the two patched needed for qemu and what is
needed to build would probably be the mobilehotspot garage project.
Great, request access to the project and you can then put the patches up to the SVN repo directly.

I need to think about the best way to handle the kernel vs userland packages (need to be separate packages, question is how to reorganize the code so that as much as possible can be shared).

Easter I'm away from everything, the weekend after that I'm also busy and I've just been sick a week so I have a ton of backlog at work so I don't think I'm able to do much in the next 2-3 weeks.

However feel free to mail me (the usual garage alias works) your ideas (any code you want to work on just do it on the SVN repo, that's what it is there for anyway).

how do i download this to my n900? i dont wanna pay for joikuspot....

Originally Posted by killerjay View Post
how do i download this to my n900? i dont wanna pay for joikuspot....
While it may be considered bad form to reply with a quote I'll do it anyways since it's literally the first thing on the list in the first post of the thread. A little reading comprehension goes a long way...

Originally Posted by rambo View Post
1. Basic functionality is present, one can share the cellular data connection over Ad-Hoc Wifi. Requires a custom kernel with NAT support. See the project homepage for instructions.
I'll also quote a very important phrase from the instructions:

You need to know how to install stuff from the terminal (knowing how to reflash your device is highly recommended).
Also not that this not even in extras-devel (<- READ THAT PAGE) yet and for a reason: if it destroys your device or kills your pet that's your problem, not mine (though I would feel really bad if it killed your pet).

Last edited by rambo; 2010-03-31 at 08:36. Reason: minor typo fix

The Following User Says Thank You to rambo For This Useful Post:
After reading the threads, I figured, I'll try the commercial app for 10E and see if it works. I'm still gagging on the EULA, so I haven't gotten that far yet. "Use of ...Spot requires free registration with ...Soft. ...Soft will not rent or sell your account information to the third parties. ...Spot requires the ...Spot application to post is client-id and some other user, device, network, connection speed, network quality, location and usage related data to a secure network server for service activation and authentication, license management, preventing of piracy copies and for service quality, usage measurement, ad for promoting of additional services that may include marketing elements and reporting and usage analysis purposes. When you use ...Spot, you allow it to post any and all such client, user, location and service usage and quality information to the network based back end system defined by ...Spot. You further allow ...Soft, at ...sots option, to anonymously publish any such collected usange and usage context, profile and connection quality data without revealing the user identity or any personal user information that can be used to identify an individual user. Such potentially published ata may contain e.g. average ...Spot usage volumes in certain networks or locations, statistics of user profiles and locations of use, or network quality information across markets, and such publications may use web based mapping interfaces for visualization purposes."

Uploaded the mobilehotspot package to extras-devel, however it seems the packages interface cannot resolve Provides properly (kernel-modules-maemo provides kernel-feature-netfilter)

Anyways this is just a prelude to starting to think how to install this via HAM smoothly. While the extras-devel has higher version number it in fact has same code as the 0.2.0 blob in project SVN.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rambo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
I have just installed mobilehotspot. Should I just be able to use it as is or do I need to install other things in order to get it to work?
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

Originally Posted by cardiff-blues View Post
I have just installed mobilehotspot. Should I just be able to use it as is or do I need to install other things in order to get it to work?
Installed from where, using what instructions ? Are you using the -hotspot or -maemo custom kernels (or some other custom kernel that provides netfilter ?)

The fastest (and very dangerous) way to get a kernel usable with the mobilehotspot is to install titans -maemo kernel with the flasher package and then reboot.

The Following User Says Thank You to rambo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
i installed via the built in app manager.
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

A little off topic but just wondering,

Is there a way for our phones to connect the internet through our PC's internet (Via USB Cable). I have no router for wifi

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 78 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
A little off topic but just wondering,

Is there a way for our phones to connect the internet through our PC's internet (Via USB Cable). I have no router for wifi
if you have a pc or laptop with WLAN, it is easily possible.
I tried it with linux, everything is configurable using GUI-tools: e.g. http://jeremy.visser.name/2009/03/24...etworkmanager/
Windows can also share its internet-connection: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126/

If you don't have WLAN, you will have to configure a peer-to-peer network over USB. It should be possible, but I never used it. If the USB-Network works, you can use the methods above to share your internet connection.