Notices

*bump*

+1 for a alternative app

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Bangalore
once upon a time, but what I would wish for, if possible, would be a hotspot app whic would allow hot spotting and networking without having to connect with other devices(file sharing mostly)

move along..impossible to implement infrastructure hotspot on N9 without support from Nokia themselves.

just sail along wit Jolla. the chipset difnitely will be using infrastructure hotspot.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by soryuuha View Post
move along..impossible to implement infrastructure hotspot on N9 without support from Nokia themselves.

just sail along wit Jolla. the chipset difnitely will be using infrastructure hotspot.
Should not be impossible. Difficult, yes, but not impossible.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Should not be impossible. Difficult, yes, but not impossible.
you need to alter the driver, which is closed source. impossible in my book.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by soryuuha View Post
you need to alter the driver, which is closed source. impossible in my book.
Actually, all the needed components are open source. Only closed blob is the firmware (wl1271-fw-ap.bin) and that's available from TI.

Kernel sources in the latest plus can be patched from ti-utils to load the AP mode firmware. There's no need for any funny business with user-mode bouncers, you can just use NAT and wpasupplicant to launch up the network.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by danested View Post
once upon a time, but what I would wish for, if possible, would be a hotspot app whic would allow hot spotting and networking without having to connect with other devices(file sharing mostly)
Check out: Piratebox
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=88059

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Actually, all the needed components are open source. Only closed blob is the firmware (wl1271-fw-ap.bin) and that's available from TI.

Kernel sources in the latest plus can be patched from ti-utils to load the AP mode firmware. There's no need for any funny business with user-mode bouncers, you can just use NAT and wpasupplicant to launch up the network.
Totally agree, the firmware is a closed blob, but the driver code is available and actually, I am looking at what to do with that - regarding injection - and aligning used driver code with more current updates. It is a simple task I would say, not difficult at all - just timeconsuming when you only have nighttime to work :P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Germany
Hi!

And would it be also possible to implement WPA2 as a security protocol? WEP is kind of old and compromised...

Best regards,

Jaracz

Nokia 5110 --> Nokia 3210 --> Nokia 8210 --> Nokia 7250i --> Nokia 6500 Slide --> Nokia N97 mini --> Nokia N9 --> BB Z30 --> Jolla C

Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Totally agree, the firmware is a closed blob, but the driver code is available and actually, I am looking at what to do with that - regarding injection - and aligning used driver code with more current updates. It is a simple task I would say, not difficult at all - just timeconsuming when you only have nighttime to work :P
The most difficult thing in the task is to make it coexist nicely with the existing Harmattan infra which would like to see the WLAN connection just as a client device. The kernel part is the easy part

You need to hack the startup scripts so that when you do a normal wlan connect it will load the normal mode wl12xx drivers (wl12xx_spi, wl12xx_sdio) and push up the wl1271-fw.bin firmware to the chip, and when you set up the AP mode it will unload the normal mode cleanly, push up the wl1271-fw-ap.bin firmware and kll off the network manager without affecting the 3g connection...