Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
This is how a phone is supposed to take off upon announcement:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=nokia+n9%2C+iphone+5
guber says what?
http://www.google.com/trends?q=troll...ate=all&sort=0

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
This is how a phone is supposed to take off upon announcement:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=nokia+n9%2C+iphone+5
lol, the iphone 5 hasn't been announced, so this trend shows people disappointment
pretty impressive indeed!

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
I know it's tempting, but please don't feed the troll.

It is on a special diet to control its unfortunate condition. Responding to its FUD only encourages the production of yet more low-grade FUD.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Why do you keep turning it into porting.
I cited e.g's in response to what you were talking about in that section of your post.
And it had nothing to do with porting...

The Bionic's display is great, if the N9's is as good or slightly better overall it'll be an excellent screen.
As has been pointed out, it'll have limitations (in some respects) compared to RBG Stripe AMOLED (pentile, RGBG, 50% less sub-pixels etc).
This is what the bulk of these "complaints" are you're alluding to...
They're rarely genuine issues, just limitations of Pentile AMOLED compared to RBG Stripe AMOLED.

Translation? jk
Back in 2009 Samsung made the i8910 with Amoled screen (and before that nokia made the N85 and N86). They were all stripe RGB amoled's.

The Galaxy S came with a (stunning) Super Amoled, and that was pentile, because it had various advantages, like more brightness, longer lifetime and less power consumption. Now Samsung comes with the RGB stripe as Super Amoled Plus and now the stripe is the hot thing again

I will (the moment I find some time) post some close up pictures from various lcd and amoled screens, including pentile and rgb.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
I have the HD7 - Post Mango (it got the upgrade 2 days after I bought it).

Multi-tasking - not so much. Maybe when more apps are written to handle WP7's version of multi-sleeping it will be better. For now, 3rd party app restart on waking up.

The phone is fast, the UI smooth. It has some good integration of fb/twitter status info (though split between People and Me). No direct launch into the appropriate app from there, however.

If people don't like the grid of icons for applications on the N9, they're hardly going to love the single column on WP7!

Live tiles, when more apps make use of them will be good - Weather.com does a nice job of that. Being able to "pin" m.iCaltrain.com search results page for train times directly to the "Home" screen was also good.

There are swipe-like gestures in WP7 - but there are still buttons "off the screen to cause actions on the screen" - which goes against the design aesthetic of the Swipe experience. And I can't see MS letting go of the Windows button, can you?

I find the interface a little 'scattered' - even with the effort to pull things together into hubs.

There are things I miss about my N900 (h/w keyboard for one) - currently relegated to a drawer. The HD7 will follow it when my N9 turns up I'll cope with the absence of a h/w keyboard

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kjmackey For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Back in 2009 Samsung made the i8910 with Amoled screen (and before that nokia made the N85 and N86). They were all stripe RGB amoled's.
The Galaxy S came with a (stunning) Super Amoled, and that was pentile, because it had various advantages, like more brightness, longer lifetime and less power consumption. Now Samsung comes with the RGB stripe as Super Amoled Plus and now the stripe is the hot thing again.
As I understand it, what it did to AMOLED, is essentially what Nokia's done to their AMOLED

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_AMOLED

One of the main differences from other display technologies is that the layer that detects touch is integrated into the screen rather than being overlaid on top.
Compared with the first-generation AMOLED, some of the Super AMOLED advantages are brighter screens, less sunlight reflection and reduced power consumption.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active-matrix_OLED

Manufacturers have developed in-cell touch panels, integrating the production of capacitive sensor arrays in the AMOLED module fabrication process.
In-cell sensor AMOLED fabricators include AU Optronics and Samsung. Samsung has marketed their version of this technology as Super AMOLED.
Clear Black Display or CBD is an AMOLED display with a polarized filter on top.
AMOLED displays (10,000 cd/me2) may be difficult to view in direct sunlight compared to LCDs.[11] Samsung's Super AMOLED technology addresses this issue by reducing the size of gaps between layers of the screen.[12][13]
All stuff Nokia has done to their screen...
Except for the power consumption side of things, not sure about that.
Plus Nokia also uses CBD (is it just be a rebranding of what Samsung did in SAMOLED?)

Although there must be some differences, as Jakiman claims his N9 is brighter than his SAMOLED+*
I don't think the polariser causes that, AFAIK it just makes the screen more readable in high light environs?
But I guess that extra brightness may not be there when comparing it to phones with SAMOLED?
Plus some have claimed it's easier to read in bright light at the same brightness levels, than the SGSII.

I suspect "Super" is just Samsung's marketing name for what is 'basically' the same tech used by N9.
I suspect Super is trademarked, so Nokia can only use something like "AMOLED CBD" etc.
You look at all the commercial devices that officially use Super AMOLED, & they're all Samsung.

The only way to know for sure that it's not just a Pentile AMOLED, is to get some direct comparisons going.
I'd be surprised if it wasn't as good or better overall than SAMOLED screens though.
As anecdotally some have even felt it's as good or better -in some ways- than SAMOLED+.

Some other interesting links....
http://www.oled-info.com/super-amoled
http://www.tested.com/news/pentile-v...ifferent/1868/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PenTile_matrix_family

*2-month old SGSII

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-11 at 20:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
So apparently it is not possible to add anything to status menu in Harmattan: http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4117

And I assume that status menu bar is also locked.

This is so totally ******ed design choice that I can't find any justification for this.
when you say status menu, what are you referring to?

EDIT: serious question.

The Following User Says Thank You to unfuccwittable For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sunny Woollahra
Originally Posted by unfuccwittable View Post

from meego link
Just to mention some of them:
Display always on
Set alarm
Enable/Disable Wlan, Bluethoot, GSM
Switsch between 2G, 3G
Switch profile

Also on the N900 I like the status icons for:
Wlan strenght
CPU usage
The more I read about & use (the store's) N9 the less I want it.

When the N900 came out I HAD to have it - ended my contract early & paid $200 for the privilege.

Now the N9 is here and I am a bit "meh" - it's a phone. The N900 is / was the "Concorde" of mobile phones & I really do believe we'll never see anything like it again. Ever.

At this rate, unless I can pick up an N9 outright for <$300 I will probably wait for my contract to expire - in May. I realise this is quite likely to mean WP - but I can only hope that something worthwhile is announced at Nokia World (later this month).

My wife is happy to get the phone for me on her contract (which expires next month) & wants a candy bar (monoblock) Nokia with a decent camera for herself - but Nokia still doesn't make anything like the N78 (or even N73) - correct me if I'm wrong...

The N9 is still the best phone available NOW & if it's still available when I can get a new phone it will be my first choice - but it isn't anything like the NEED I had to get my N900

Last edited by rfa; 2011-10-11 at 19:59. Reason: Layout & spelling

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by rfa View Post
At this rate, unless I can pick up an N9 outright for <$300 I will probably wait for my contract to expire - in May. I realise this is quite likely to mean WP - but I can only hope that something worthwhile is announced at Nokia World (later this month).
Your post made a lot of sense to me...

...all except the paragraph above, which - for three key reasons - seems to me to be many miles west of reality and accelerating:
  1. You won't get an N9 for <$300 for the same reason you won't be able to buy a new BMW M3 for $10,000.
  2. Despite your obvious reverence for the N900, you are already planning a future for yourself which involves WP7.
  3. Nokia don't announce worthwhile things any more.

Sorry

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by unfuccwittable View Post

The menu that opens when tapping Status Area:
http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/...uidelines.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????