Notices

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Helsinki
Hi!
I'd like to announce the release of Oculo, a homescreen widget capable of bringing any web content into your home. Not only full web pages: you are usually not interested in advertisment and menu bars, right? So, Oculo allows you to pick specific parts of the web page.
I wrote a blog post about it, with more details and an explanatory video on how to configure it.

In this screenshot, there's the Flickr! featured image, Google local news, and Yahoo finance.

Note: for some reasons, homescreen widgets written in Qt are not visible if you are running the community SSU; it's a known problem, and I'm trying to investigate it.

Oculo is currently in the extras-testing repository.

The Following 85 Users Say Thank You to mardy For This Useful Post:
7thd, 9000, aanckar, anapospastos, bandora, Bazza, berlinermaxe, bigears5000, blipnl, BluesLee, Captwheeto, cfh11, Chrome, codeMonkey, corduroysack, couldvbb, CrckMc, D4rKlar, das_schlumpfie, drangina, dtergens, dtparikh, ejasmudar, elie-7, elipsoid, elros34, EmmaGx, EugeneS, ffha, flash, gabby131, generationally, gionni88, gunni, hawaii, Industreality, inkirby, ivyking, J4ZZ, jhwan, Joseph9560, Kee, kent_autistic, klinglerware, kolos, logicalsid, lolloo, MaDless, Maj3stic, Marshall Banana, marxian, Mentalist Traceur, misiak, MyNokiaN900, n900 lover, Natan_xy, pantera1989, Petteri, PUNK, pursueky, RAZOR, rebhana, Reflektorfalke, rizbert, rolfok, sbock, scifi.guy, shawwawa, Simply_Texan, slender, Spotfist, Stonik, sudarsan_avs, Tensuke, ThomasAH, tokag, Transcend, travla, Trestry, udaychaitanya16, uppercase, vetsin, wumpwoast, zdanee
Posts: 472 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India, Mumbai
i have installed the app but the content of the homescreen remain invisiable....the web content remain blank.... yes i have installed CSSU...is this the probs or something else....may be in next update it will be resolve

The Following User Says Thank You to cutehunk04 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Thanks for this. I have tried to achieve something like this for a long time. My approach has been with queen beecon windgets, but only with text. Full website rendering is superb. Sadly I am running also running CSSU, but I don't mind to wait, if you find the problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to Petteri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
This looks interesting and I'll try it as soon as the CSSU problem is solved.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
@Mardy,

Nice application it works just fine.

A couple of ideas

1. is there a way that the icon could be set as a small icon when inactive and once pressed the program becomes active and opens up to the users customised size?

2. also this would be great if it could be incorporated with Vlad Vasiliev and Tanya Makova's live wallpaper application. Football scores updated in the background of your main home screen and full screen would be great.

handhelds running mame really well, GP2x (mk2), GP2x wiz, JXD s7300

Samsung galaxy note 2 owner and of course mame on that too

ex - Xbox 360 user - here is the reason -

I am back Xboxing again - and here is what i did to correct it -

***UPDATE*** now 47 months on and x-clamp fix has just failed....not a bad run

Changing graphicssystem to native should work for CSSU.

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Helsinki
Oculo 0.8 is on its way to the extras-testing repository (it might be already there, by the time you read this), with the following changes:
  • Interval between updates is now configurable
  • Works with the Community SSU
  • Bugfix: remember the selected area when reconfiguring

Please test, and remember to vote for its inclusions into extras, if it behaves well.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to mardy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 597 | Thanked: 490 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Sweet Widget! Great Idea!

Some ideas:

1) Is it possible to support websites that require login?
2) Possibility to change/disable update interval when tapping the widget
3) Would it be possible to allow scrolling within the widget?

Last edited by Reflektorfalke; 2011-05-03 at 21:47.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reflektorfalke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 468 | Thanked: 775 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hereford, England
Great widget mardy. One thing I would say is that when you are trying to get a widget to the desired size, each time you go back into settings, I find that the sliders have reverted to default ( or sometimes somewhere completly different). Can you make the widget remember the last size it was set too - therefore making it easier to get to correct size. It's not a big problem, but would be nice. Thanks for your great work.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Thank you, Mardy, this is a very useful widget and is very easy to setup.

In the attached image you can see a problem: my text-based widget (taken from google results of "1 chf in eur") has black text on dark grey background and is hardly readable. The img widget instead (taken form foreca) is perfect.

Can I also suggest that image scaling is made with some other algorythm which preserves quality? You could use imagemagick as a dependency or use some other lib.
Thank you, again
Attached Images

Last edited by debernardis; 2011-05-04 at 08:41.