Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
I didn't check the ping or curl. I didn't realize that Nokia was using the Akamai CDN.

Seeing that Nokia is doing MAC address verification before allowing access to the image files, I suspect Nokia's origin servers are being used at least for database queries or some formulaic lookup on their MAC address range?

In our use of Akamai in the past, we used them for video hosting and large static content mirrors (PDF, MOV, MP4). We still had Akamai hit our origin (Informix, MySQL, and PostGREsql) servers when it came to lookups. Seeing Nokia's errors and your lookups, do you think Nokia is doing the same?

Interesting find, wetcoast. It certainly looks like Nokia isn't make effective use of Akamai's services.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by wjanowski View Post
Yeah, since I posted the N800 images yesterday, I've seen 83 visits and over 5.2gig in transfers. Not bad for word of mouth.
Indeed, I was one of those, thanks! I tried to downlaod the file from the official Nokia site and though it said it would take 4 hours, I figured, what the heck, and I let it run while I, like you, got some zzz. This am the file 'appears to be' on my desktop. Quotes because of course it's not complete and the update won't work.

Ok, curses, but undaunted, I go to the forum, found your post. Xlnt, downloaded the file in about three minutes!! and installed it literally as I walked out the door to go to work.

I *could* rant about Nokia's inexplicable inability to find the necessary server support, especially given that they could have 'done the math' and gotten the resources in place. But I won't, because I'd rather give kudos to you and the others who contribute so much to the community!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyghost For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by promethh View Post
Interesting find, wetcoast. It certainly looks like Nokia isn't make effective use of Akamai's services.
Quim Gil seemed to imply that the proximate fault lies with the service provider.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by wjanowski View Post
Yeah, since I posted the N800 images yesterday, I've seen 83 visits and over 5.2gig in transfers. Not bad for word of mouth.
just checked: 559 unique IPs that makes up for ~74Gb ?

wow!

Well that's actually people that tried to download it, no idea how much of actual data has been transferred.
The machine has been up for 31days and ifconfig reports:

RX bytes:1598884749 (1.4 GiB) TX bytes:784605522 (748.2 MiB)

So it can't be, can it ?

Last edited by anidel; 2007-12-19 at 16:40.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Quim Gil seemed to imply that the proximate fault lies with the service provider.
I'm certain he's given them a fair dose of what we've given him I say, kick som a** Gil!

Good luck with that one! Depending on how specifically written the Service Level Agreements (SLAs) between Akamai and Nokia were written, it might still be hard to prove it was Akamai's fault and not Nokia's.

If Nokia has it written such that Akamai is providing static content with touch-backs to Nokia origin servers for device validation or content lookups, it's still behooves Nokia to place a very fast server or server cluster behind that lookup. Any gateway errors between Nokia and Akamai might still be the fault of Nokia, not Akamai.

In the past, I have seen $300,000 to $3-million (USD) contracts between Akamai and my employers. Even in videohosting for conferences where we believed it *may* have been the fault of Akamai, it was eventually proven to be the fault of ours.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
You're absolutely right, promethh. Wouldn't it suck if the bottleneck was an old 10bt card on a server?

Don't laugh: at a former employee our entire division network was choked by a single 10bt switch-- surrounded by 100bt devices.

You're absolutely right, promethh. Wouldn't it suck if the bottleneck was an old 10bt card on a server?

Don't laugh: at a former employee our entire division network was choked by a single 10bt switch-- surrounded by 100bt devices.
I believe you. We're in the midst of installing 10G switches at all our datacenters, and IPv6 gear to do the IPv6/IPv4 translation between our outward-facing and intranet servers. I've been getting callings about bottlenecks for the past month.

Some of my data resides in Reston, VA, and Washington, DC. Multiple datacenters in the US hit server clusters in DC for lookups and propagation. 11 hours of hassle was caused by network engineers and I arguing about what they configured the switch for and what I configured the origin server cluster for.

10/100/1G/10G switching might make worlds of difference, but if you're configuring switches at 10G/Auto and I'm configuring SunFire servers at 1G/FDX across Cat-6, you're going to see bottlenecks as the switches step down. Might help if network engineers and system administrators spoke more often?

In the end, configuring the switches for 1G/FDX and my servers at 1G/FDX allows us to sync data across multiple datacenters with ease, no collisions, no errors. Would have saved me 11 hours of time if the neteng told me what he was doing, rather than "just doing it"?

*Sigh* I knew I shouldn't have updated. I can't get the application manager to read more than 19k of repo data.

It's really pretty shocking that it's this bad.

Originally Posted by Tuxedosteve View Post
*Sigh* I knew I shouldn't have updated. I can't get the application manager to read more than 19k of repo data.

It's really pretty shocking that it's this bad.
It's not the OS, it's just that maemo.org is so bogged down with all the OS2008 downloads.