I was using my n800 (os2008) last night with low battery, got the battery warning two or three times before it went into auto-shutdown. I didnt think much of it, just charged it up this morning.

It powers up just fine but now will not connect to my wireless network. It sees my network from the "Select Connection" screen but will not connect to it. Wifi icon just flashes a few times then goes dim. No error message or anything.

Its an open network so its not a wep or wpa issue. I've tried rebooting my router, turning off my n800 and removing the battery for a few minutes and just about everything else I can think of.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I SAID... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Could be your router/access point, of course nobody knows for sure as you haven't told us anything about it (ie. make/model/firmware revision, a/b/g/n?).

There's not much point discussing wireless problems unless we have all the specs and information about both parties involved - your N800 and the Access Point. If you've got an Access Point that is well known as "good" (eg. Linksys WRT54GS) then we can eliminate it as a likely problem.

Try upgrading your Access Point firmware to the latest available if you aren't running it already.

Try disabling Power Save Mode on your N800 wireless connection.

Check you or someone else hasn't enabled the seriously overrated MAC filter in the AP.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2008-01-24 at 02:28.

Why not go to a coffee shop or somewhere and see if you can get anything there? It would eliminate a few variables from the problem.

If that's impossible (no starbucks nearby?); do you have any other systems that connect to the wireless access point. Are they still working?

-Jonathan

D-link DGL 4300 firmware 1.8 the latest. My laptops connect to it fine.

I've had my n800 for close to a month now and this is the first time I experience any trouble connecting to any connection. I've tried it at two other locations and its the same thing.

The only thing "different" about today is how I shut down last night.

Did you delete the saved connection / profile for your router and recreate it?

At least a few times.

Not sure if this is helpful to you, but I had a wifi issue last night as well. I had run airodump-ng earlier and failed to take wlan0 out of promiscuous mode, which drained the battery. I plugged into AC, booted it up, and the wireless util wouldn't find my AP. I rebooted (Power, "Switch off!"), but still no wireless connections were found. I ran "resetwlan", but still nothing. I looked at ifconfig in Xterm, and there was no wlan0 interface. "ifconfig wlan0 up" brought it back up, but as soon as I opened the wireless util to connect to my AP, it went back down.

One or all of the following got me back up:
-uninstalled any wireless-related apps
-Xterm: sudo gainroot
-Xterm: reboot

I don't know why that worked, but it did.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
For starters grab some utilities such as wifinfo (have to go from pc) and see if they show any
PLEASE use the Wiki

The Following User Says Thank You to gemniii42 For This Useful Post: