I still do not understand why the discussion goes on and on talking about the good and the bads of both Ovi Store and App Manager and how bad or good is going to be if one of them goes away.

Again the subject is not that. I am not talking about discontinue one of them and stick with the other. I am talking about a Complete MERGE. Call it App Manager, call it Ovi Store call it MeeGo Store, MeeGo App Manager, I DO NOT CARE.

The point is to have ALL FUNCTIONS from both Ovi Store and App Manager under ONE ROOF. One simple, extremely well organized App manager that is able to handle downloads, uninstalls and software updates. All under one icon.

There is absolutely no reason of having two application managers in one device. Not a single logical reason. NONE

Last edited by nMIK-3; 2010-03-08 at 06:48.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nMIK-3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
Originally Posted by nMIK-3 View Post
On the N900, I love both. Even thought the Ovi Store on the N900 is nothing more that a mobile webpage, it is only a matter of time until Nokia transform it in in a real application. And even thought App Manager lacks major aspects like, Pictures, Reviews, Short by options etc is a great App Manager utility.

First of all having two different "doors" of software is simple annoying for everyone and confusing to the end/simple user.
And I agree N900/Maemo 5 was clearly aiming for geeks but with MeeGo going commercial, having two different "Applications Stores" in one device is simple WRONG.

I believe that Ovi Store and App Manager should be merge in MeeGo.

Nokia can simply add all Application Manager functions, like Application Catalogs/repositories, Updates and Uninstalls in Ovi Store. Then App Manager content can benefit from Ovi Store's abilities of Description, Pictures, Rating System, Reviews, Recommendations, the ability to filter apps by most popular, top free, top paid, most recent etc.

I really hope to see this happening on the upcoming Nokia Meego devices. What do you thing?
i think what your looking for is called an iphone. i think choice is awesome.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kryptoniankid17 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I think it would be interesting if Ovi just sells (digital) licenses to unlock premium apps and all the apps are distributed through app manager.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
The problem is the app manager basically runs of repositories and ALL the apps are FREE. Thus merging them is probably not a good idea.

However making it LOOK like they are merged would probably be better, so enhancing the app manager so that normal apps install no problem - BUT the paid apps are pulled from the Nokia OVI store and also shown there.

However this also presents problems, because I think the app manager is open source and as such could be easily circumvented to install apps free, this may also be the same with having each application have a license key.

It's not as easy as you make it sound - there are many things to be considered before Nokia proceeds.

For the time being it works fine - so stop complaining and let the Nokia developers do their work, stop pestering them, software development takes time. THis is the umpteenth thread from noobs saying I wish Nokia did this or that - Nokia will make this N900 better than the N97, it's just going to take time. Just enjoy it - within 10 days of asking for a feature some developer will start making creating it! I've had my N95 8GB for 2 years+ and I've not seen an app that can disable the red LED while recording, last week someone requested this and this week I'm using using it, the N900 can do things all other phones can only dream of! (although I miss MMS, video calling and a proper GPS app - but there is no way on this earth Nokia will not implement those features, it's all about time)

There is a fine line between having the N900 user friendly for the average joe with an IQ of 10 can use, and the developers who use it.

Stop complaining and see how much better the N900 is than ANY other phone!

Last edited by rash.m2k; 2010-03-08 at 08:47.

I personally would be already happy to even see a properly working OVI Store first.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
I am not talking about discontinue one of them and stick with the other. I am talking about a Complete MERGE. Call it App Manager, call it Ovi Store call it MeeGo Store, MeeGo App Manager, I DO NOT CARE.

The point is to have ALL FUNCTIONS from both Ovi Store and App Manager under ONE ROOF. One simple, extremely well organized App manager that is able to handle downloads, uninstalls and software updates. All under one icon.
You must take into account the interests of ALL stakeholders, not just your own. Commercial app developers (and thus Ovi itself) will NOT be happy if they get competition from Free apps. You might not care, but they do. At the same time Free app developers need Ovi like a fish needs a bicycle - you expect people to pay 50E per year, give up donations and accept restrictive licenses and liability just to be able to do what they are doing now ? So, what's your plan to overcome this fire/water divide ?

EDIT: spelling

Last edited by attila77; 2010-03-08 at 09:48.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
I like the simplicity of the App Manager - the idea of merging it into an OVI-based program makes me shudder (blech!).

I think the App Manager is perfectly fine the way it is.

However, what could be done is to create a new application that can merge the two "systems" together. You would only need to use a single application to view OVI and "free" content - that's fine. Nokia can market that anyway they like.

But leave the existing App Manager well alone - this is a fundemental building block.

Ubuntu seems to do well with two installer apps. There is an application on the main menu that allows you to install softrware.
The other installer is "synaptic" and this is buried in the "Administration" menu.

You can have one "user-visible" application manager that encompasses everything the other installer can be "hidden" away further in the ui.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
You must take into account the interests of ALL stakeholders, not just your own. Commercial app developers (and thus Ovi itself) will NOT be happy if they get competition from Free apps. You might not care, but they do. At the same time Free app developers need Ovi like a fish needs a bycicle - you expect people to pay 50E per year, give up donations and accept restrictive licenses and liability just to be able to do what they are doing now ? So, what's your plan to overcome this fire/water divide ?
I agree. Having two separate channels in not bad. OVI Store for commercial apps (and for those who cannot be bothered to find out what options are available) and maemo.org for community apps (and for those who actually know what "community" means).

The Following User Says Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kryptoniankid17 View Post
i think what your looking for is called an iphone. i think choice is awesome.
I think you are out of subject... Please read the previous postings before you reply. Plus I just hate when people compare anything and everything to icrap eemmmm sorry iPhone...

Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
I personally would be already happy to even see a properly working OVI Store first.
Yea right?!! lool

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
You must take into account the interests of ALL stakeholders, not just your own. Commercial app developers (and thus Ovi itself) will NOT be happy if they get competition from Free apps. You might not care, but they do. At the same time Free app developers need Ovi like a fish needs a bycicle - you expect people to pay 50E per year, give up donations and accept restrictive licenses and liability just to be able to do what they are doing now ? So, what's your plan to overcome this fire/water divide ?
You are right but again out of subject.

Here we go again. Nothing has to chance. Current repositories will stay as it is everything will stay as it is. So no license issues or hosting fees will be a problem. Second I do not get your point of competition? What is the problem if multiple apps free and not are available in the same place? This is the beauty of the App Stores. The users are smart enough to decide if a free app is great or not and if a paid app is worth the money. If you are a developer and you offer a paid App, Nokia will get its cut. If your app is free then you can add it either from Ovi's channel or Maemo's Extras repository.

Originally Posted by johnel View Post
I think the App Manager is perfectly fine the way it is.
I love App manager too but at its current stage lacks even basic functions. I do not want to deeply going into it right now I will only state that three updates after the originalN900 firmware and the App Manager doesn't even have the option to list new apps, or top downloads. Currently the only way to find out whats new for Maemo 5 is to visit http://maemo.org/downloads/Maemo5/ and then go download it from your phone. I am sure you agree is not that practical...

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
This is the beauty of the App Stores. The users are smart enough to decide if a free app is great or not and if a paid app is worth the money. If you are a developer and you offer a paid App, Nokia will get its cut. If your app is free then you can add it either from Ovi's channel or Maemo's Extras repository.
You're still thinking with a user head If you're a developer and you offer a paid app, you do NOT want a Free app with an identical purpose listed at the same place. In your scenario (if Extras keeps it's repository) it's the commercial vendors who draw the short straw - they have to pay through the nose and deal with the wreckage Ovi is, just to be listed next to an app offered for free and pray that it's bad enough so that users come back and buy their app. And as for Nokia (the Ovi division, to be more precise), it's the same problem. They are not getting any money if you DO choose the Free alternative. That's why Apple simply says 'you can be free to the users but not to US', and that's why there is so few Free apps there (compared to commercial ones).

list new apps, or top downloads. Currently the only way to find out whats new for Maemo 5 is to visit http://maemo.org/downloads/Maemo5/ and then go download it from your phone. I am sure you agree is not that practical...
And that is exactly why I created Appwatch.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post: