Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Can we get voice dialling, ovi maps with turn by turn instructions, a proper MMS in MeeGo1.2

ok, i am skeptical may be negative but I think that this just and attempt to give a basic OS with phone to the N900 users so that they can test the thing first before it can be released for the actual handset for MeeGo. Use us i.e.

sometimes there will be good ideas comming out of n900 community and they will adopt them for their hands.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by vivmak View Post
Can we get voice dialling, ovi maps with turn by turn instructions, a proper MMS in MeeGo1.2

ok, i am skeptical may be negative but I think that this just and attempt to give a basic OS with phone to the N900 users so that they can test the thing first before it can be released for the actual handset for MeeGo. Use us i.e.
Umm. Did you read the posts in this thread?

Voice calling is already possible according to stskeeps. (oops. seems I misunderstood what you asked for. )
But don't expect any full Nokia apps such as OVI maps etc.
MMS wasn't a priority with Maemo5. So doubt it will come.

You are 100% correct btw. It is to give basic OS with phone to N900 users to test/develop/hack/mod etc.
Using "us" is a bit harsh. We have 100% choice on deciding if we want to get "used" or actually "use" it to our benefit.

Last edited by jakiman; 2011-03-04 at 11:11.

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by vivmak View Post

sometimes there will be good ideas comming out of n900 community and they will adopt them for their hands.
Yes! Damn those nasty corporate behemoths that are only in it to take your money and not invest in R&D for a free upgrade OS to your N900!

....oh. that's right. wh else has offered a "usable" alternative OS to install on your existing mobile hardware platform?

don't forget that the sole purpose (there IS a reason why it's called "Developer Edition")of this release is to encourage people to create for Meego......

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post

To add to the fun mix, it seems like the idea is to mix Intel Tablet UX + Handset UX (replacing some of the bad apps in Handset) So we'll get Intel's QML components too which should make things a lot easier.
Then I could expect to see some UX in the near future now as tablet UX already has been introduced?

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on May 2010 @ limassol cyprus
i say screw nokia! they are a bunch of liars anyway, lets all get together and support our maemo community and devs, and forget about meego and winmo7 and symbian. i think im gonna scratch even the nokia logo on my n900 just so people dont ask me if my phone is a nokia or not.

because at the end of the day, it was the maemo community that gave us this brand new phone which i will call "maemo cssu n900"! if anyone has a better name feel free to change it! as well.... i was thinking, why not see if we can have some new housings for the n900 with the maemo community name on it, rather then the nokia brand.

(wishful thinking)maybe we can sue nokia for the codes to the rest of the closed source codes so we can turn this beast into a beauty!

Last edited by n900 lover; 2011-03-04 at 10:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to n900 lover For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Voice calling is already possible according to stskeeps.
I suspect by voice dialling vivmak meant speech recognition, e.g. "call John" type of thing, which won't be in the Developer Edition I'm sure.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post

From hardware adaptation, not UI:

1) Already works, I saw an awesome demo - front camera ("webcam") still in progress, but the big camera is the one of actual use.
2) Already works
3) Already works
4) Already works
5) Works for non-AGPS but still in labs due to us needing legal approval to redistributable bits. Who'd want to use Ovi Maps?
6) Works
7) Works (but we don't have a switcher dialog in UI)
8) Works
9) Works
one more...USB host?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by nman View Post
one more...USB host?
No. Someone would have to do the kernel work and get it accepted upstream ideally.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
The important thing to remember is when the n900 hardware adaption is complete (e.g. most/all hardware is fully supported) it doesn't matter what UI is runs on top.

If you don't like Nokia's implementation then use Meego UI or roll your own.

I imagine you can install a more traditional window manager on it and use it more like a desktop if you really wanted to.

I'm sure stuff like USB host will follow in time.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Yeah, as long as we have all the hardware working at low level, it just means we can just make a UI or an App for it.
So all those "works" next to the hw features I asked about just makes me very happy right now. Hope it's out soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:

Tags
best thread yet, meegohorny, nokia rox, stupid guys say, we want bada