Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
I would like propose that we start a community outreach team that helps members of our community in getting to Linux shows and Electronics Shows to help spread the word about Maemo and the Nokia Phone/Internet Tablets. Members who wish to be sponsored to go on outreach trips would have to request to be part of the outreach team and be evaluated by either maemo.org community council, or maybe paid members of maemo.org team. Once accepted to the outreach team members would then have to request sponsorship in some kind of a formal form 60 days prior to the event they wish to be sponsored to attend. The community council or who ever is put in charge of this would then decided if this event should be sponsored and how much to give in helping the team member getting there. Amount of sponsorship could depend on distance from show, length of show, what member would be doing at show(ie some shows require payment to have a table in their expo room).

If approved things like things like table fee would be paid straight to the show so team member never handles that money. Money for team member to go to show would be either paid up front or could be in reimbursement after the show. Large expenses like hotel rooms should require of registration for room, or receipt. Food/Gas could be paid in a set amount like $40 per day for food and so much per gas depending on distance. We could create kits of things like flyers and posters/banners for tables at event. Those would be created by who ever is put in charge of outreach team and would be mailed to team members before going to first event. They would keep kit after event and request more disposable supplies like flyers before new events.

Members should be required to be active and attend at least one event per calendar year. Those not going to events should be removed from team to make room for more people. Some requirements for team should include, owning at least one Nokia device that runs Maemo. This device should be run either Current OS or one generation back(no need in going out and showing off OS2005 at linux show). They should be an active member in community on either forums, IRC, or Mailing Lists. Team members must be able to talk to strangers about the maemo, explain what it is and if possible be able to do BoF or Session at the show they go to.

Now everyone might be thinking that this is a great idea but where would money come from. I am also requesting that Nokia would create a budget and give the money to maemo.org to cover this. Since we would be advertising not only the maemo.org community but the Nokia devices as well.

I look forward on hearing everyones idea on this and I hope this helps to grow the maemo.org communty.

Brainstorm Link

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Last edited by chemist; 2010-01-27 at 13:08.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Wow, this sounds like an excellent idea! You're right, we need to increase exposure and spread the word about Maemo so more people get involved!

About the budget, I certainly agree that Nokia should offer a budget for us to take matters into our own hands - but I have my doubts that Nokia will agree to this?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Um... Andrew? How did you miss my outreach project thread in the Community section?

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Sorry if I mistook your thread but I didn't read all 20 pages of it, looked like you were starting outreach in your locate area not the whole world, also I didn't see anything about helping people with the cost of going to these shows. Also think of proposal as going one step further and trying to help get resources to get more people to shows. I'm not trying to work against you

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

There's certainly nothing wrong with your proposal and in fact I plan to steal some of it. But a few points:

- I'm starting local as a pilot, with intent to create a template that can be used globally
- I didn't see this as a Brainstorm although I won't quibble with someone else seeing it that way
- ultimately my goals and scope are the same as yours

Bottom line, I got tired of inaction on the subject and decided to Just Do It rather than worry about Brainstorming. I've put a tremendous amount of work into it and am gaining momentum despite the occasional setback and fatigue. I am certainly looking for feedback because, again, the model I develop now should be able to work anywhere. And of course I can cover Dallas and possibly nearby areas but that's about it.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Um... Andrew? How did you miss my outreach project thread in the Community section?

lnk?
first I've heard about this. I've been doing this very thing from my own pocket for 4 yrs now. I'd love some community assistance, and even more to be a "paid" member of the community. Temporary consulting isn't cutting it, and I feel mobiles is my calling, but don't see a clear path to start. I'm almost ready to work for a carrier, but US carriers suck butt...

my project: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38247

A word of caution: word I have is that Nokia is not going to be throwing a lot of money at this, and they're looking for proof it's useful for Maemo. I have tentative approval for small dinner expenses right now but that's it. I have to build a business case for more.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Hi, http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...outreach_team/ needs a split between the explanation of the problem and listed solutions.

Originally Posted by Haus3r View Post
About the budget, I certainly agree that Nokia should offer a budget for us to take matters into our own hands - but I have my doubts that Nokia will agree to this?
Quite the opposite, I would say. We have an interest in increasing the presence and activity of the Maemo community in events. There is a growing interest and many organizers contact us directly to send people to give a talk, staff a stand... There is also a growing interest from Maemo contributors to jump out of the Internet to the physical World to spread the word and have fun, and again a problem is that we can't be everywhere.

Texrat asks about Texas, andrewfblack asks for other US events, mikhas asked yesterday about LinuxTag in Berlin and so on.

To me the solution would be to agree on a budget with the Council for such activities and they would decide how to operate with it (to be honest, we don't want to be in the discussion of who to support with how much money).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Hi, http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...outreach_team/ needs a split between the explanation of the problem and listed solutions.

Quite the opposite, I would say. We have an interest in increasing the presence and activity of the Maemo community in events. There is a growing interest and many organizers contact us directly to send people to give a talk, staff a stand... There is also a growing interest from Maemo contributors to jump out of the Internet to the physical World to spread the word and have fun, and again a problem is that we can't be everywhere.

Texrat asks about Texas, andrewfblack asks for other US events, mikhas asked yesterday about LinuxTag in Berlin and so on.

To me the solution would be to agree on a budget with the Council for such activities and they would decide how to operate with it (to be honest, we don't want to be in the discussion of who to support with how much money).
Looks like our next step would be to get You and Council to agree on a budget. Since I'm not part of Council I would assume that now I have to just wait and see what comes of this. I would like to be in with the planing and talks about this subject though I just don't want to over step the Council on this. I might be shooting for the stars here but I would really like to see a budget around $20,000 that should fully pay for forty, two-day shows or eighty one-day shows. Including, room, food and a little for gas. It might seem like a lot of money but considering how much Nokia spends on summit each year this is just a drop in the bucket.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post

Actually I only talk about Texas as a pilot. My ultimate scope is bigger.

I'm also wanting to look into other ways of funding .org activities besides hitting up Nokia. Maybe there are other forms of sponsorship we can tap...