Active Topics

Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by romu View Post
You know this won't happen guys!
Why? I ask only for technology that was already availlable 2/3 years ago on flagships about the same price (around 450€ for 808...) ?

What could also happen is that another bigger manufacturer (I like Sony with its Xperia Z range) can do something like this and put Sailfish OS on it. This would still be a win for Jolla by licensing Sailfish.
Still, no one ever made a good camera phone with HW keyboard, and manufacturers forgot that there was a time where high range phones had screens between 3.5" and 4"...

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ finland
Smaller bezel would be nice. 5" screen would fit the current frame and the top/bottom bezel would be alot smaller.
And 1 thing I'd really love is FM radio...from my experience, it uses ALOT less battery than internet radios.
possibly better camera, not too important for me tho.
720p screen. I think 1080p is just too power-hungry.
and ofcourse bigger battery, but only if its possible without increasing the thickness...(I kinda fell in love with thin phones :P)

there r other things too like memory and processor but I'm not gonna go there this time.

The Following User Says Thank You to TrD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
Why?
Because we're talking about the J2 here, and a different form factor would break the TOH hardware compatibility.

Because we're talking about the J2 here, and a different form factor would break the TOH hardware compatibility.
<devil mode> So I will never have a Jolla ? </devil mode>

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Australia
Ok Version 2 of the dream.

Extend TOH to include a Docking other half.
Clip your jolla into a dock, and hey presto full screen, keyboard, mouse and wired network.

This would require the grunt, i.e. cpu and ram to be increased significantly. And full system bus access to TOH for video, audio, usb and network etc.

Lets face it the devices are far better a computer than only a handfull of years ago.
Take my computer with me wherever I go.

Last edited by gd81n; 2014-02-23 at 22:55.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gd81n For This Useful Post:
Looks like Jaakko Roppola himself confirmed your saying.

From this article : http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/25/j...artphone-mold/
"It's one of the reasons why future incarnations of Jolla's Sailfish devices will retain that two-part modular design. As Roppola explained to me, the company wants to avoid the "culture of throwaway devices," which a shift to a unified design might encourage."

I understand this position, but doing so, it leaves me not much hope for the next device as I don't really like the current form factor (but seeing the devices presented at the MWC, it seems I am the only one)...
Anyway, we'll see. It is a bit early to take conclusions.

Edit: I didn't see there was still some text after the photo
Marc Dillon is a bit more hopeful : "New form factors are on the way, but much of the heavy lifting will be done through manufacturer partnerships"

Last edited by Zeta; 2014-02-27 at 21:08.

Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
the company wants to avoid the "culture of throwaway devices,"
That is a key point! At least, a company chooses a more sustainable way of business. Hope to see made.

But if Roppola says one thing, and Marc Dillon the opposite, this doesn't help to clarify the Jolla strategy. EDIT: Having read the article, I know understand what's Dillon said. It's just Sailfish will be available to other phone than Jolla's, and to other devices like smart-watches.

Google Ara project is another very interesting initiative to me, but Android...no thanks.

Last edited by romu; 2014-02-28 at 10:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TrD View Post
Smaller bezel would be nice. 5" screen would fit the current frame and the top/bottom bezel would be alot smaller.
As much as i'd prefer the look of a smaller bezel, it actually helps the up and down swipes, as you have more surface area to start the swipe

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
If they don't increase quality of screen and adding a bigger screen I see no point to ever release a J2.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
If they don't increase quality of screen and adding a bigger screen I see no point to ever release a J2.
they will do both, and they will no doubt do it with the next model, it is just a happy coincidence that they can do so within the existing chassis shape.

this being important if they are serious about this the-other-half business.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, jolla 2