Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Connecting people:

The SSU nightmare
http://blogs.igalia.com/vjaquez/2009...ssu-nightmare/

vjazquez is the developer in charge of implementing the 3rd Party Package Policy. Yesterday I put him in the CC of the bug.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
And for those interested in this discussion but not following the bug, a fix has been committed to the Application Manager. The new version is in its way to be integrated in the Fremantle release.

So you see, there is time to draft a policy, publish some code, discuss, fix problems... before any package makes it even to extras-testing. No harm done.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
So you see, there is time to draft a policy, publish some code, discuss, fix problems... before any package makes it even to extras-testing. No harm done.
Indeed, and the response to this issue has been fantastic. However, I hope you recognise that although there was time to go through this workflow; it'd've been better to avoid the issue altogether; by having design discussions for open components in the appropriate place. In this case, H-A-M's mailing list: maemo-developers.

This is especially important given that h-a-m is one of the few Nokia-owned and user-visible components which actually has volunteers submitting patches which end up getting shipped (such as myself and qwerty12).

So there was "harm done" to the perception that Nokia was increasingly getting "being open" right.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Yes, agreed. We are having more open source code released sooner and more often, but we haven't got into more solid open development, except in those components purely developed upstream.

To be honest, I didn't even know about this policy before it was implemented. I also believe the reason was that, as it was conceived, it was not even meant to affect anybody else than Nokia alone with the official releases.

Anyway, bug fixed and released. MadBomber installs and plays just fine in Maemo 5 now.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: