Active Topics

Yeah just what I need a another $100 dollar 770 dead LOLOLOL.

I will have to be careful, should I throw that WSOD screen into the new nokia I have coming to see if it works??

If so that will be the first thing I will do.

OK so if thats the regulator what are the 4 smaller IC's on the pcb?

I havn't researched thos as much but I wonder if those are what control color and contrast, maybe we should look into those also.

It seems like we have two GURU's when it comes to electronics and I am by no means one of them. Ezra and lucidity... I think we can slay this beast asd if so we can cut nokia out of the loop for this repair, I would personaly only ask that people pay for shipping and give me credit.

I mean honstly my goal is not to make money but help and knock nokia out of the loop for this repair as I imagine they plan on completely cutting off support for the 770 at some point.

Then it will be upto a nice person to help support it.

Originally Posted by ednevell View Post
Should I throw that WSOD screen into the new nokia I have coming to see if it works??
actually I would do the opposite= instead of taking the WSOD screen and putting it on the good device I would take the good screen and put it in on the 770 that had the WSOD screen.

The reason being: if indeed it is the chip on the WSOD screen sub-assy that is frying the controller, the last thing you need to do is plug it into the good device.(if infact the LCD controller is on the man PCB)

If you plug the good screen into the main PCB of the nokia that is WSOD and it works, then we know without a doubt that the screen sub-assy contains the bad IC.

Oh, and Ezra and Lucidity are the same lol, (but I am not really a guru, just been a gadgeteer since I was a kid; I love to tinker.)

-ezra

Last edited by luciditydigital; 2008-01-25 at 22:51.

I think we need a poll of how many people got there 770's back repaired with there files and the os?

Also maybe a few calls to nokia tech to fnd out if they repace just the screen or if the mainboard is replaced?

If they only replace the screen an people get their 770's back with original files then it has to be the pcb on the ribbon.

rick

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ TN, USA
ednevell, I guess you are gonna keep that 770. That's cool since you are helping the community. I shipped a 770 to Nokia last oct. They told me that my unit was unrepairable. But they sent me another. The instructions say to backup your files so it quite possibly does wipe everything clean.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
so basically, store everything on the memory card, and do not send the memory card with the device itself.

hrmf, im trying to reach nokia now, as i was in contact with them before christmas, still nothing...

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ TN, USA
I think I have a direct number to them and to the service center. I can PM you tomorrow with that info.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
sadly, im not from usa...

Hi All,

I tried changing the chip that you mentioned earlier in the forum, the 8 pin one. And..................... It did not fix those pesky gray lines!

I got the chip off my working 770 and swoped them over. Both worked just as they did before.

I spoke to a friend of mine adn he suggested that there will be a corupt eprom somewhare, probably corupted by static or an incorrect cap somewhare.

I have had enough of the broken one now so am selling it, If anyone has any ideas let me know and i will try it!

Good luck.

Nate.

Did anyone else hear a pop when their 770 WSOD'd? For me it happened when I plugged it in to charge it once. It was that kind of... high pitched sucking sound then a pop that you get with electronics sometimes... I don't know enough about electronic engineering to know what it is, but maybe someone has an idea? Eventually I'm going to open mine up and see if I can notice anything that appears to be visibly fried or damaged. I don't really know anything about soldering/desoldering though, so that would probably be the end of my usefulness.

I'm guessing I'm looking for something on the main board itself, since Nate (above) said that he swapped the screen chips and it made no difference. Has anyone tried putting a working screen on a non-working 770 or vice versa?

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by dreamscape86 View Post
Did anyone else hear a pop when their 770 WSOD'd? For me it happened when I plugged it in to charge it once. It was that kind of... high pitched sucking sound then a pop that you get with electronics sometimes... I don't know enough about electronic engineering to know what it is, but maybe someone has an idea? Eventually I'm going to open mine up and see if I can notice anything that appears to be visibly fried or damaged. I don't really know anything about soldering/desoldering though, so that would probably be the end of my usefulness.

I'm guessing I'm looking for something on the main board itself, since Nate (above) said that he swapped the screen chips and it made no difference. Has anyone tried putting a working screen on a non-working 770 or vice versa?
The high pithed sound likely came from the internal switching power supply inductor... What likely happened is that some component (the display controller?) failed shorting one supply rail, which caused the power supply to go into overload protection. (The power supply might have scaled it switching frequency down to audible range, or it entered into so called "hiccup" mode where it tries to start up, and shuts down if output is overloaded, and tries to start up again... until the fault is cleared.) Finally after few seconds, when did you hear the pop, the short circuit blew open, and no more high pitch sound?

What you should be looking for is maybe a blown capacitor, or look any IC's that may show signs of overheating (charred top).

The Following User Says Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post: