Active Topics

Originally Posted by tso View Post
quick guess is that nokia uses radios that have their frequencies set in hardware, and as such need to burn thru the existing stock of non-t-mobile chips before deploying ones that also work on t-mobile.

this based on t-mobile only recently getting its UTMS frequencies, iirc.
Actually, that's not correct. The frequencies they are tuned to and the frequencies they support via the chip are two whole different things. The frequency range is controlled by the chip's IOS. The specific frequencies it transmits on are controlled by software on the device they're installed in. The rest is semantics.

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
We have recently come to the conclusion that Nokia absolutely does not care about the US market. . . .
Agree also.

I'm counting on the fact that Nokia's market is really outside of the US in hopes of being able to get this device unlocked and unbranded.

Who knows what T-mobile will try to lock down if they subsidized the phone. Will they disallow VOIP? Will they throw a fit if I tried to put Android on it? I don't want to have to play the cat and mouse game with T-mo/Nokia for stuff as simple as gaining root whenever a new firmware update is available.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by klinglerware View Post
Who knows what T-mobile will try to lock down if they subsidized the phone. Will they disallow VOIP? Will they throw a fit if I tried to put Android on it? I don't want to have to play the cat and mouse game with T-mo/Nokia for stuff as simple as gaining root whenever a new firmware update is available.
I'd be very surprised if Nokia let T-Mobile fiddle with Maemo very much. If it is unmodified Maemo (as I suspect Nokia would insist) this will signal a bigger change in US carriers than the iPhone or Android ever did.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I'd be very surprised if Nokia let T-Mobile fiddle with Maemo very much. If it is unmodified Maemo (as I suspect Nokia would insist) this will signal a bigger change in US carriers than the iPhone or Android ever did.
Agreed (I've had fun debranding and unlocking simple T-Mobile candy-bar phones that aren't nothing special...) but even if, say, T-Mobile did **** up Maemo, it would still be less restricted than a non-jailbroken, SIM free, iPhone.

Also, with Phoenix, normal Nokia phones can be flashed to <whatever version> (and the N8x0s were already using BB5 stuff) so a device running Linux should be no problem whatsoever.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I'd be very surprised if Nokia let T-Mobile fiddle with Maemo very much.
I do hope so, but it's not as though previous Maemo devices have never been locked down by a carrier. See:
Did Singtel act without the knowledge and/or assistance of Nokia?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I wonder if they can lock the software and prevent it being updated from the linux flasher too?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
It's open source, they can pretty much do whatever they want with it... so who knows what's going to happen until the device is in your hands.

I had no idea any of the previous tablets suffered from lock-down before though.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Did Singtel act without the knowledge and/or assistance of Nokia?
That'd be my guess (or, perhaps, Nokia Singapore acted without knowledge from Nokia-proper or Maemo Software?).

The lock-down seemed more accidental than intentional, anyway. Mostly it seemed an issue of the update wizard only checking for a limited set of valid version strings.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Until I read this thread it never occurred to me that I might not be able to use the HSDPA / phone capabilities of the RX-51 in Canada at all. Can anyone comment on the likelihood of the device being compatible with Rogers (or any other Canadian providers)?

I have a sad, sinking feeling that I'll be forced to use this next device like a tablet... Please reassure me...

I'm pretty vague about the whole issue...

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Yeah, as a fellow Canadian, I'm also worried that either we won't be able to use it as a phone as intended or we might have to wait a year for it to cross the invisible 49th parallel.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:

Tags
at&t, rx51