Notices

Hi guys,

after some trying, several hours actually, I can't get my head around the following error:

insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.28.10maemo-omap1/cifs.ko': -1 Invalid module format

uname -a gives the following output:

Linux Nokia-N900 2.6.28-omap1 #1 PREEMPT Fri Aug 6 11:50:00 EEST 2010 armv7l unknown

I have reflashed my N900 to vanilla -> both mmc + rootfs with the latest available..
Can't get cifs.ko to load.

Someone got a bright idea?
thanks

I have an N900 that's just a few days old. I was looking for a way to mount a Windows share on it. I've done this before on a desktop Linux system with a "mount -t cifs ..." type command. When this didn't work on my N900, I realised that the stock device does not have an appropriate kernel module installed for CIFS. I found this thread with the .ko files in the first post and the mention that they're also in extras-testing; so I went to look in the repositories.

I found kernel-module-cifs in extras-testing, which I presume is the one that relates to this thread. However, I also found kernel-modules-maemo in the plain extras repo, a package whose Provides: list has a whole bunch of "kernel-feature-XXXXX" modules one of which is "kernel-feature-cifs", and according to the description "provides kernel modules for the enhanced Maemo 5 kernel 2.6.28.10". So I'm thinking maybe I want this instead, after all it's better to install stable stuff from extras rather than uncleared stuff from -testing or -devel that might "brick my device", right? And looking at the contents of the package, it's a ton of useful-looking .ko's (including cifs.ko and ntfs.ko) being installed to /lib/modules/2.6.28.10maemo-omap1/, loads more in fact than I've already got in the existing /lib/modules/2.6.28-omap1/. Seemingly I would have to install this "enhanced" kernel (2.6.28.10maemo-omap1, right?) to go with it; I had a quick look for that but it wasn't immediately clear where I can get it from and the talk of 'flashing' makes me doubly nervous about a bricking occurring. I don't want to overclock my device (not yet anyway).

Anyone got any comments about the difference between these two CIFS modules, and the reasons for choosing one or the other?

I would say just install the power kernel as it has a lot of fixes, and look into install CSSU for some other improvements.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU

The Following User Says Thank You to wickedgtr1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2010 @ The Netherlands
From the moment I got my N900 (over two years now), I used the package "kernel-module-cifs 1.55.0-maemo1". Works without any problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to luigi For This Useful Post:
I'm now using kernel-module-cifs successfully. Thanks for the pointer to CSSU too, I'll look into that for later.

Tags
cifs, ntfs, samba, smb, truecrypt