Notices

Dear All
its been a while that this issue has been discussed here. So I wonder what the current status is. I would like to use gpx tracks that have been generated by the great openrouteservice.org on the basis of bicycle tracks. These need to get imported and then get used to give me directions on the bike.

So the question is: what is currently the best application for this job?

Is there someone who has a overview?

Ahh, nearly forgot: I am talking about the N900

cheers

Tre

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
You might want to check out modRana from the location & navigation category in the application catalog.

ModRana supports displaying (multiple, differently colored) GPX tracks - just place them in a folder in /home/user/MyDocs/tracklogs/ and you are set.

If you have any questions, just drop by on the modRana discussion thread here on TMO.

Martin
thanks for the response. I see that you are rewriting the UI, great!!!! Modrana seems to have real capability which is sort of difficult to access in the old UI: I nver really got the hang of it. Now I have installed your current alpha or beta on my N900, which looks way better (well, only the initial stuff there).
As regards my issue and just to clarify: using some downloaded tracks for bicycle navigation will be possible, right.

I shall now closely follow dev in the modRana disc thread. Maybe something will be available til July

The Following User Says Thank You to tredlie For This Useful Post:
Another option might be marble. On the N9 it has the functionality you are looking for (except that voice navigation for bikes does not work for me), but I read somewhere the N900 features lag behind a bit.

In any case, might be worth a look.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by tredlie View Post
Martin
thanks for the response. I see that you are rewriting the UI, great!!!! Modrana seems to have real capability which is sort of difficult to access in the old UI: I nver really got the hang of it. Now I have installed your current alpha or beta on my N900, which looks way better (well, only the initial stuff there).
As regards my issue and just to clarify: using some downloaded tracks for bicycle navigation will be possible, right.

I shall now closely follow dev in the modRana disc thread. Maybe something will be available til July
Thanks, I'm glad you like the new UI (mockup). I'm currently rather preoccupied with our conference & some school matters. But both should be done in about a week - then I can focus on modRana development.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
Have you tried Navit? it works totally offline, and you have routing for bike also! (just set the vehicle to bike) it means you dont have to use openrouteservice anymore

The Navit version from bokomoko repo works good on N900: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38800&page=52

Thanks for the NAVIT pointer. But the idea is of course to prepare a two weeks bike trip with lodging etc in advance, and then to use this track.

But I shall have a look at navit anyhow.