Closed Thread
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
i am sure there are many talented programmers in this community that can start another new project to port whatsapp, tgallal is new to this forum?
I am sure many developers can port whatsapp with a couple of weeks of reverse engineering

I am not too sure you will find many developers willing to port whatsapp in a community like this simply because whatsapp is not so important if you can IM in other ways, developers do not need a closed pay-for-use protocol in such a platform

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pablocrossa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pablocrossa View Post
I am not too sure you will find many developers willing to port whatsapp in a community like this simply because whatsapp is not so important if you can IM in other ways, developers do not need a closed pay-for-use protocol in such a platform
I will disagree with you on this. Whatsapp is not the best IM app out there but it has achieved such popularity that it has become the de facto IM app for many users across platforms. There are hordes of N9 users wanting Whatsapp and is is the most asked for app in any forum.

However the way Whatsapp is being developed for N9 is not very encouraging. It is being developed behind closed doors by one person who disappears for long periods and refuses to share code or accept any help. There is no regular updates on project status. Yes, it may very well be a hoax.

Contrast this with the way NitDroid for N9 is being developed. There is one major mover but he is assisted by community effort. There were regular updates on its progress, even videos. Alpha versions have been released to show that this is not vapourware.

As for those who jump on others asking for project status don't be an idiot. The whole thing already smells bad so don't keep defending what you don't even know. Tgalal has created high expectations so it is perfectly reasonable for people to ask. The fact that he is doing it one his own time is no reason to keep everybody in the dark.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kein For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by Kein View Post
I will disagree with you on this. Whatsapp is not the best IM app out there but it has achieved such popularity that it has become the de facto IM app for many users across platforms. There are hordes of N9 users wanting Whatsapp and is is the most asked for app in any forum.
The problem is, open source developers and close-propietary alternatives to IM that you need to pay for just don't get alone well.

An open source developers cares about things (like openness) that whatsapp stands against (using a closed centralized protocol, etc). So it's not easy to get one that cares enough so as to develop a client, while he know there are things that are better (from his perspective).

Also, you'd me suprised how few developers/geeks use whatsapp. I'm a software developer, and most of my friends are either computer geeks or developers as well. None of them use whatsapp, while it's immensly popular amogst "Average Joe", just like WLM is pretty popular amogst teens.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hobarrera For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
send it from my n9, no wazzap, and hell yeah i still enjoying my n9, many option to chat, wazzap isnt everything, wakeup wakeup,

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
ebuddyxms on n9 is buggy?
skype, msn, yahoo, gtalk does not support push notifications?

people use whatsapp to replace normal sms as much as they could.

http://store.ovi.com/search?q=multi+user+chat

Hi tgalal, maybe this app can help in a way for having multi user chat capabilities for the whatsapp porting for n9.

@youmeego you definatelly haven' set your phone right, i have push from facebook,gtallk and skype,just go setting and enable push.
I agree with most of the users here,whatsapp is not really that important,i could care less if gets made or not,there are so many better alternatives.
Most important thing: If whatsapp development team did not bother to make an app for us the means they give a ***** about theyr users. It's not just about us meego users keeping in touch with android,ios,symbian users,it's about all getting in touch which for me this a total disrespect for all users not just us meego. That what means to be cross platform,but aparently it is not! I for one I can really live without this app,i can use gtalk and send a picture or video throught e-mail if needed.
Though if taglal takes it's time to make it,then my respect for it's work.

The Following User Says Thank You to Norocel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
Originally Posted by Norocel View Post
@youmeego you definatelly haven' set your phone right, i have push from facebook,gtallk and skype,just go setting and enable push.
No, really he doesn't now what "push" is. All Instant Messengers work by push, msn, facebook-chat, gtalk, whatsapp, skype, icq, aim... ALL.

Originally Posted by Kein View Post

However the way Whatsapp is being developed for N9 is not very encouraging. It is being developed behind closed doors by one person who disappears for long periods and refuses to share code or accept any help. There is no regular updates on project status. Yes, it may very well be a hoax.

Contrast this with the way NitDroid for N9 is being developed. There is one major mover but he is assisted by community effort. There were regular updates on its progress, even videos. Alpha versions have been released to show that this is not vapourware.

As for those who jump on others asking for project status don't be an idiot. The whole thing already smells bad so don't keep defending what you don't even know. Tgalal has created high expectations so it is perfectly reasonable for people to ask. The fact that he is doing it one his own time is no reason to keep everybody in the dark.
I fully agree on your opinion on development of whatsapp for N9 but I still consider facebook and emails as my most used protocol, all my friends use fb, but I am sure this is not the case of all N9 users but then again... If IMing friends on blackberries is your priority do not buy a phone that cannot do that

I thought whatsapp was using xmmp but with a quite closed and proprietary auth-mechanism?
Is it really that hard to reverse engineer that?
However, Ithink it's worth the efforts since this would also allow to log into whatsapp from any desktop computer as well, which would indeed be pretty cool...

Closed Thread

Tags
galal-t is da, kindergarten, mastar, new tmo low, shameful, tmo not cake, trollfest, whiny_girls