Poll: Will you be getting one?
Poll Options
Will you be getting one?

An amazing culmination of everything Nokia has learnt from past devices including the NITs,

I personally am really excited about this, it's a gorgeous device and has amazing features.

Nokia World Announcement

Official Nokia demonstration video (Quicktime movie)

Nokia N97 Datasheet (PDF)

Engadget hands on gallery

Last edited by flamingsnot; 2008-12-02 at 13:04.

Frankly, I'm disappointed. Yes, the N97 looks good but its just an iPhone/G1 competitor that hit the market a year late. By the time Nokia is shipping the N97, Apple will be selling their next generation iPhone and HTC/Google will be offering G2. I was really hoping for something new and game-changing, this is just a weak iPhone defense. I would have been much more excited for them to announce the next generation internet tablet aka N900 with a high resolution screen, faster processor, and full desktop browser.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
I wont be getting one.

If it Maemo, and could tether for my laptop/UMPC/netbook? Much more likely.
Those and T-Mobile-3G? yes.
All of that, and Dalvik? absolutely, the day it came out.

I do like the tilt screen, though :-)

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
All of that, and Dalvik? absolutely, the day it came out.
What is so attaractive above Dalvik? It is just another JVM, not quite standard compliant, but JVM all the same.

Originally Posted by fms View Post
What is so attaractive above Dalvik? It is just another JVM, not quite standard compliant, but JVM all the same.
As a programing platform, from the Computer Science angle? Not much of interest at all.

As a developers platform? the audience.

As a user's platform? the ecosystem.

Last edited by johnkzin; 2008-12-02 at 14:17.

I'm not going back to anything below 800x480. And I like my phone separate from my tablet...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
I'm with fpp. The whole point about having an internet tablet - for me - is that it acts as a "co-processor" for my phone. It offloads everything except for the making and receiving of phone calls and texts. OK so I still use the PIM on the phone too (yeah yeah I know! Take it to the wiki ) The last thing I want is a feature-rich phone complicating my life. Give me a simple phone with great battery life and looks and let me do the rest on my internet tablet.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Do you have an open source phone? Would you buy the N900 with 3G (data-only)? What kind of phone would you combine the N900 with then?

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
I'm not going back to anything below 800x480. And I like my phone separate from my tablet...
I honestly don't miss the extra pixels. Nor do I miss carrying 2 devices (don't miss that AT ALL). Nor do I miss having a lack of consistent/integrated/sync'ed contacts and calendar. Nor do I miss the stiff keyboard with lack of decent tactile feedback.

From my E61i, I miss tethering, and the SyncML client.

From my NIT, I miss having a real VNC viewer (the one available for Android doesn't support passwords, erroneously assuming that tunneling through SSH is a substitute for a VNC password; I use/require both), and I very slightly miss having access to the linux layer.

From this new device, what I would love to have is the style: horizontal slide (instead of the G1's arc slide), lack of the G1's "chin", dpad instead of trackball, and the tilt screen (OH YES THE TILT SCREEN).

C'mon, Nokia, give me something that has all of that.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Do you have an open source phone? Would you buy the N900 with 3G (data-only)? What kind of phone would you combine the N900 with then?
That's a good question. I currently have an E51 (see my sig for details) but I would definitely buy the N900, and I would then buy the cheapest phone I could get that provided: a) bluetooth (so I could use my NiT as a desktop hands-free or my handset for making VoIP calls), b) excellent battery life, c) small size.

Tags
nokia n97, s60, symbian