Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by vinca View Post
So will we ever see a Jolla phone successor?
I believe that Jolla never wanted to be a hardware manufacturer in the first place. Their true product is Sailfish, and they want to sell that product to manufacturers who would themselves create phones. So the Jolla Phone itself is a one-off, and future phones should come from companies like Intex.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
In the long run HW manufacturing will most likely cease, but I find it hard to believe that it would happen before there are additional manufacturers covering more than single country or continent. They have hinted that there might be something cooking and separation of HW development to different company also points towards that direction. Hopefully there is refresh coming... rather sooner than later.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I believe that Jolla never wanted to be a hardware manufacturer in the first place. Their true product is Sailfish, and they want to sell that product to manufacturers who would themselves create phones. So the Jolla Phone itself is a one-off, and future phones should come from companies like Intex.
It certainly looks more and more like that with every passing day. But it did not look like that at the beginning. If the product they are selling is the software, then the common sense would suggest presenting it on a bog-standard, pure-reference-design hardware. This is the case with the tablet but the phone and its TOH concept deviates from the standard (if only a little) and, for quite some time, they were pushing the TOH concept like the best thing since sliced bread. Either they changed their mind some time in the past two years or they were sending out mixed messages

Having said that, I agree with you. I do not expect any new phone coming out of Jolla Oy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Having said that, I agree with you. I do not expect any new phone coming out of Jolla Oy.
Well that is no surprise at all. Jolla said that long time ago.

But lets hope that Jolla Mobile Oy(or whatever it is going to be called in the future) brings a new phone.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
for quite some time, they were pushing the TOH concept like the best thing since sliced bread. Either they changed their mind some time in the past two years or they were sending out mixed messages
I don't think they really ever actively pushed the ToH concept - other well, other than that video from May 2013. If they really pushed it they would release (or partner with someone to release) some active hardware making use of the interface rather than just colored pieces of plastic.

Jolla did cooperate with the ToHKBD project, but that is still far from what could be done, such as helping to market the third party ToHs, selling them in the Jolla web store, etc.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Jolla did cooperate with the ToHKBD project, but that is still far from what could be done, such as helping to market the third party ToHs, selling them in the Jolla web store, etc.
What to make of this statement by Antti saarnio from July then?
We are very committed to build and conquer with Sailfish OS and we also want Jolla devices to show its full potential (with TOH). Thats why were are brave enough to me bold, Unlike moves
whole statement

The Following User Says Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
If they really pushed it they would release (or partner with someone to release) some active hardware making use of the interface rather than just colored pieces of plastic.
Maybe I am completely wrong but my reading of the Jolla's website is that that coloured piece of plastic is what makes them stand out.
"What makes us so unique, you ask? It is 1) a gesture based OS and 2) the TOH concept."

If that was not the intention then they completely misfired, at least with me

But then, marketing campaigns often do. Remember the youghurt TV commercial from a few years ago? They were running a "feel better in a week or your money back" campaign. A woman came to claim the refund and they showed her a secret footage, obtained by cameras hidden in dogs' collars, babies' bottles etc, of her doing all sorts of funky stuff. My reading of that ad was not, "we are so confident, we will gve you your money back". No, it was, "we will stop at nothing to prevent giving you your money back."

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK

My website

GitHub

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 357 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Europe
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
So the Jolla Phone itself is a one-off, and future phones should come from companies like Intex.
Yes, and as Intex (to my knowledge) isn't selling into Europe itself, then Jolla (or their hardware spin-off) could still strike a deal with them to be able to resell their product with as only difference/customization a cover that says Jolla but has all the internals identical to the product for the indian market. That would be much less risky than their own first phone which they designed (and had to fund the development of) themselves.

Within the next year or so, Jolla's current fanbase (which I think is >90% in Europe) will start looking at their next phone, and I for one would happily buy a Jolla-rebranded Intex phone. Perhaps they are hoping for companies that want to offer phones in Europe, but the reality is that there aren't any. Furthermore Google and Microsoft show you can have your own product and partner products.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post:
Hopefully they bring something better than just rebranded Intex phone. They already have some kind of reference platforms ranging from Snapdragon 200 to 800 series, so they should have at least something to build on. Another question is the Intel Atom X3 with LTE-modem, Jolla was specifically mentioned in Intel's press release, so there might be something in works with that platform also. Don't know how it will stack up with full HD display though, now that Tablet is shipping with 330ppi display, the next phone should showcase something seriously better than the current one.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla phone