Poll: What is your opinion about the migration to Moblin/RPM
Poll Options
What is your opinion about the migration to Moblin/RPM

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
I'm really feeling split on this. I'm no big fan of either systems. For me the ideal binary based system has always been slackware.

Frankly what I would love to see is more community distros for such devices. So if MeeGo will open it all up so that anyone will be able to grab the sources and roll their own any way they please then please please do so.

Let it be completly and fully open then we actually don't have to worry what one is using.

I'm not really happy with the way Maemo runs and I never really could understand Debian or Fedora or Suse(and how many probs I've had with Yast is just to damn weird).

I used to run Slackware until I switched to Source Mage and became a Source Mage dev.

But I started with RH3-something, Caldera, never could get Debian installed back then, Mandrake, a few others(and BSDs) but ended up with Slackware.

So I've experienced a few things. Slackware now-a-days with slapt-get is actually nice. And I thought one could use apt-get with rpm now-a-days? Wasn't there some work on that???

As said at the start my main hope for this is an ability to roll a completly own distro so if someone wants to they could run gentoo or slackware on it with the sources for the relevant packages and not have to rely on any specific vendor provided packges.
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by Tesno View Post
What reasons did Intel have, when they decided to use fedora base instead of debian?
Because RPM based commercial distributions didn't have problems, I think.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
I'm really feeling split on this. I'm no big fan of either systems. For me the ideal binary based system has always been slackware.
I like Slackware too but I think it is impossible to have a source-based distribution for phone devices yet. And slapt-get is a yesterday (as apt-get, actually). If you have experience to live with YaST2 level of service it is VERY difficult to return back to outdated (although powerful) apt-get.

Of course, HAM interface is a little better but buggy and not so powerful...

What reasons did Intel have, when they decided to use fedora base instead of debian?
Not sure, but I've always mostly associated rpms with commercial oriented distros and debs with community oriented distros. At least that was the way it seemed to me when I gave up on Mandrake (now Mandriva) almost ten years ago.

The difference, at least as I see it, is commercial distros want to officially support the least amount of packages they can get away with so their users are forced to look to outside repositories a lot more often than the users
of the more centralized community distros such as Debian.

Nowadays I prefer to deal with dependencies myself and use Gentoo which streamlines the process.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
I like Slackware too but I think it is impossible to have a source-based distribution for phone devices yet.
Technically not. Practically yes. A way to do this would be to have a build server/service that would do the crosscompile for you.

And slapt-get is a yesterday (as apt-get, actually). If you have experience to live with YaST2 level of service it is VERY difficult to return back to outdated (although powerful) apt-get.
Maybe you've read my post completly or not but basically I had nothing but issues with Yast so don't ever want to see it again.

apt/dpkg/slapt hasn't broken on me yet thus far. Yast... installed a new system, ran yast once... could never run it again and kept getting weild errors.

Of course, HAM interface is a little better but buggy and not so powerful...
You are joking? Right? Right???

HAM is the one piece of software that should be COMPLETLY removed. It brings nothing to the table. Replace it with a normal apt frontend. Then we are talking.

And the whole point of my previous post was:

I hope that we will get a fully Free and Open software stack we can build/install/run in any way we want and any way we care to package etc it... That will be true progress. Everything else is just: "Ow we have a new shiny for you"

If I want it I should be able to run the device using a slackware like approach or a source mage like approach or any other distro I might care for. I shoud be able to get to a plain console and do what I want there. And so on.
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

The Following User Says Thank You to ruskie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
In the meantime, everybody can brush-up on their OBS Debian packaging skills.
no, no, no : http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Build

well...
Hohndel was quoted as saying that the move to Fedora was largely a "technical decision based on the desire to adopt RPM (Red Hat Package Manager) for package management" instead of Ubuntu's Debian DEB extension. RPM offers the advantage of containing license information, Hohndel was said to have noted, thereby enabling developers to create collections of software by license type or exclude software by license type.

According to The Register,, the switch to Fedora is also occurring because Moblin has "failed to generate much interest" among developers. "Moblin one wasn't successful in creating this community push," Hohndel was quoted as saying. "Having a vibrant community push is the winning factor."
http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS2068665492.html

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ColdFusion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
It still does not explain much. We already have a bunch of custom package fields, license could be just another. Even now, the Application manager uses these package fields to determine which packages are shown to the user and which aren't.

On the second quote, community and OSS devs is exactly what Maemo brings to the table. It's completely unclear what community MeeGo's RPM switch wants to cater to here ? I'm not exactly sure Moblin has more community devs than Maemo does.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
I call it MeEgo as someone already said it a while ago.

It just fits it perfectly.

Tags
rabble-rousing, rpm vs. deb war, rpmligion vs debligion, vote attila77