Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Ok guys I normally try to avoid Apple news but this one really grabbed my attention, it seems Mr. Jobs is getting angry not only when users jailbreak their iPhone 4s but also when geeks,nerds, engineers, curious people, "unauthorized personnel" damn it ...pretty much everyone expect Apple who wants to even dismantle it and see or fix internals of their precious device

here take a look at this article

http://www.9to5mac.com/36308/service...orx-screws-why

Whether you hate Nokia or love I'm happy they didnt do this since I had to open my N900 couple of times One time becaue there was water under screen and other time I was just curious how it looks and what was colour of PCB

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Last edited by HellFlyer; 2010-11-24 at 05:03.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
Ok guys I normally try to avoid Apple news but this one really grabbed my attention, it seems Mr. Jobs is getting angry not only when users jailbreak their iPhone 4s but also when geeks,nerds, engineers, curious people, "unauthorized personnel" damn it ...pretty much everyone expect Apple who wants to even dismantle it and see or fix internals of their precious device

here take a look at this article

http://www.9to5mac.com/36308/service...orx-screws-why

Whether you hate Nokia or love I'm happy they didnt do this since I had to open my N900 couple of times One time becaue there was water under screen and other time I was just curious how it looks and what was colour of PCB
Who forbids you to get a box of Torx screwdrivers? For all different shapes and sizes...
EDIT: And all kinds of torx screws themselves to put in instead of destroyed.

By design, Torx head screws resist cam-out better.
Where Phillips heads were designed to cam out, to prevent over-tightening, Torx heads were designed to prevent cam-out.
The reason for this was the development of better torque-limiting automatic screwdrivers for use in factories.

Rather than rely on the tool slipping out of the screw head when a torque level is reached, risking damage to the driver tip, screw head and workpiece, the driver design achieves a desired torque consistently.

The manufacturer claims this can increase tool bit life by ten times or more.

http://www.amazon.com/SMALL-SCREWDRI.../dp/B000FIXXBA
http://www.tamperproof.com/categories/products.html

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2010-11-24 at 06:05.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Who forbids you to get a box of Torx screwdrivers? For all different shapes and sizes...
Well no one but take a close look at the pictures , its fairly hard to remove them and it is a know fact that if you apply to much force they break , having just torx screws is nothing new N900 has two of those but these are special anti-tampering (tamper resistant?) ones
afaik if you somehow manage to unscrew you cant use them again

Last edited by HellFlyer; 2010-11-24 at 05:22.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HellFlyer For This Useful Post:
Doesnt the N8 have these screws?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lullen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
mhm... i'm not sure what to think. i enjoy a good apple-bashing and i'm really looking forward to the day when apple is history, but i do understand that in a certain category of consumer products you want to prevent the end user from playing around with the unit: the typical end user will break things and then use the manufacturer's ressources to have them fixed. it's just better business-wise to prevent this.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
mhm... i'm not sure what to think. i enjoy a good apple-bashing and i'm really looking forward to the day when apple is history, but i do understand that in a certain category of consumer products you want to prevent the end user from playing around with the unit: the typical end user will break things and then use the manufacturer's ressources to have them fixed. it's just better business-wise to prevent this.
Couldn't agree more in every single word.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following User Says Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bracknell, UK
Moral of the story: If you buy Apple you are screwed forever.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pisthpeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I see your point ,you're right there is a demand for such devices and indeed its cost effective but again bear in mind that so called typical users "certain category" usually dont mess with their devices , hence I think Apple firstly did this to prevent people like "guys from iFixit etc to have ability to fix Apple products. Although I dont believe it will work but the fact remains.

p.s. Image the day when one of iPhone's screws gets connected/embedded to the PCB or gets wired some other way , so if you open it it will damage the phone unless you use Apple authorized screwdriver

Regarding N8 , please take a look at the iPhone's image and then N8 , clearly its a regular TorX on N8 its easily removable like N900

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9fUKzyuoz0...Nokia_N8-1.jpg

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
I also had to open my N900 to "fix" the USB fuse, i have been contacting various phone shops to ask if they could replace the fuse.

This would be done with me coming in the shop with the motherboard from my N900 only ready to "swap" fuse, but all the places i have asked have all said that they would have to send it in to nokia, and i don't want to miss my N900 for weeks...... I would of course pay to get it fixed, no probs since this is my own error.

I have soldered a thin wire (2 strands) to make a "fuse" this is not ideal since the normal fuse is "fast acting" and my wire is not....

This of course means no more experimenting at 3 o'clock at night hehe....

but at least my USB works again

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post: