Active Topics

am i the only one who doesn't see an option to "MUTE" during phone calls?

Originally Posted by Andraeseus View Post
am i the only one who doesn't see an option to "MUTE" during phone calls?
The mute button looks like a microphone with a red line through it. When it is muted the microphone is highlighted. When it is unmuted, it is not highlighted. It sits at the upper left hand side of the dial pad, during a phone call.

Speaking of phone experience (I haven't read through the complete thread, so sorry if this is a repeat)... I can't seem to use touch tone dialing in skype which limits the usefullness of skype for me since I spend so much time in conference calls which require touch tone dialing (10-15 hours a week at least). Any ideas?

Last edited by captainqtp; 2009-12-11 at 21:08.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to captainqtp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by rapante View Post
I've just read through the brainstorm and I would like to see a small addition to solution #2

the addition is specifically about "block calls from specific groups."

this should include being able to block incoming calls with numbers hidden.

Even though it is against the law (in Germany, don't know about other countries) to call someone with a business matter with a hidden number, still quite a lot of "spam" companies do hide their number.

I get quite a few of these calls per month and I just like to completely block those hidden calls and in addition would like them to not show on the "missed calls" entries.

Everybody I do have on my contact list and even all of the companies I have a contract with (bank, creditcards, electricity, water etc.) do show their numbers, so I really love to just block those bastards who try to sell me sh*t

Hi,

Instead on adding it to #2, I've added a new solution (#7) to what you describe.
Let me know if you have ideas on how to improve it.

Thx.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
I would like to see the addition of the voicemail symbol that is displayed when you have un-read voicemail. Visula voicemail would be even better.

The Following User Says Thank You to hawkey81 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by hawkey81 View Post
I would like to see the addition of the voicemail symbol that is displayed when you have un-read voicemail. Visula voicemail would be even better.
I'd like to see the traditional tape reel symbol in the notification area, obviously activated by the normal formatted SMS from operator - call me old school!

The Following User Says Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
I haven't read the entire thread either, so apologies in advance if this has been discussed.

When you have missed a phone call and tap corresponding entry in the phone application, you may expect the phone to call back to the very number you missed a call from. In case the call was from one of your contacts, and that contact has more than one phone number associated with it, you are instead asked to choose one of those numbers.

Am I the only one thinking this is not right? Or am I maybe missing something? The person might at the moment only be available on the number they called from and I can't see a way to even know which number that was.

Having just got an N900 after using a 6500 classic for 2 years (which was after using a 6230i, 6230, 6310i, 6210, 6110), one thing that is really bugging me about the N900 is a lack of notification symbols for SMS and voicemail.

for years now, whenever i have an unread SMS there's a little envelope at the top or for voicemail, a little tape recorder symbol...

It's only a little thing i know but those little reminders were ever so helpful in remember you had an sms to look at or a voicemail to listen to.

At the moment on vodafone (uk) the only voicemail notification i have is recieving an SMS. (i know that there's a widget to see all your unread SMS messages but still , it's mighty annoying to only get an SMS and a little alert that goes for good when you touch it.)

Would very much like to see these symbols implemented again in the status bar as it is really a reminder/notification you have something to read or listen to and not remember when you happen to go into Conversations.

At the moment this is really my only major gripe about the N900 (apart from the lack of a converter app and stopwatch/countdown timer app! (i've seen a stopwatch app being developed though!))

Here's hoping...

The Following User Says Thank You to enbeekay For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by nymajoak View Post
I haven't read the entire thread either, so apologies in advance if this has been discussed.

When you have missed a phone call and tap corresponding entry in the phone application, you may expect the phone to call back to the very number you missed a call from. In case the call was from one of your contacts, and that contact has more than one phone number associated with it, you are instead asked to choose one of those numbers.

Am I the only one thinking this is not right? Or am I maybe missing something? The person might at the moment only be available on the number they called from and I can't see a way to even know which number that was.
no you are not alone and if you have a look at this: http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...ne_experience/

you'll see that there are quite a few good solutions already added to the brainstorm. feel free to vote for them.

I've just thought about the missed calls again and I'd say the best solution is if you see the number your contact has called you with at the first button on top and all the other numbers below.

this would be a good solution for these kinds of scenarios:

A friend of yours calls, let us call him Steve

Steve calls you at 3pm, with his office number, but you've been in a meeting for another 4 hours (that's gotta be hell guys) and you are not able to call him back.

So you see you missed Steve's call at 3pm, but you know he is always in office until 5:30. now it's 6pm and it's a tuesday so it's his fitness day, which means you know you'll have to pick his private mobile phone, which is the second number on the list.

What do you think about this solution?

Last edited by rapante; 2009-12-15 at 21:53.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by enbeekay View Post
Having just got an N900 after using a 6500 classic for 2 years (which was after using a 6230i, 6230, 6310i, 6210, 6110), one thing that is really bugging me about the N900 is a lack of notification symbols for SMS and voicemail.

for years now, whenever i have an unread SMS there's a little envelope at the top or for voicemail, a little tape recorder symbol...

It's only a little thing i know but those little reminders were ever so helpful in remember you had an sms to look at or a voicemail to listen to.

At the moment on vodafone (uk) the only voicemail notification i have is recieving an SMS. (i know that there's a widget to see all your unread SMS messages but still , it's mighty annoying to only get an SMS and a little alert that goes for good when you touch it.)

Would very much like to see these symbols implemented again in the status bar as it is really a reminder/notification you have something to read or listen to and not remember when you happen to go into Conversations.

At the moment this is really my only major gripe about the N900 (apart from the lack of a converter app and stopwatch/countdown timer app! (i've seen a stopwatch app being developed though!))

Here's hoping...
There is actually a brainstorm on that. The thread about it is here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37005
In it you'll find a link to the actual brainstorm. Please vote if you like any of the proposed solutions. If you don't, feel free to add one yourself.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nymajoak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rapante View Post
no you are not alone and if you have a look at this: http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...ne_experience/

you'll see that there are quite a few good solutions already added to the brainstorm. feel free to vote for them.

I've just thought about the missed calls again and I'd say the best solution is if you see the number your contact has called you with at the first button on top and all the other numbers below.

this would be a good solution for these kinds of scenarios:

A friend of yours calls, let us call him Steve

Steve calls you at 3pm, with his office number, but you've been in a meeting for another 4 hours (that's gotta be hell guys) and you are not able to call him back.

So you see you missed Steve's call at 3pm, but you know he is always in office until 5:30. now it's 6pm and it's a tuesday so it's his fitness day, which means you know you'll have to pick his private mobile phone, which is the second number on the list.

What do you think about this solution?
This is the thread about that very brainstorm, so yes I am aware of it. Wanted to gauge if I had missed something obvious before carving my stupidity in stone in the brainstorm section..

I like your solution, I think it is nice to have quick access to all of Steve's numbers but I would like the number he called from to be highlighted. On top and with a different color or a small explanatory tag of some kind.. On top might not be clear enough imho.

Would you add it to the brainstorm?