Ok i have problem. The N900 unlocked that you can pre-order from NokiaUSA. What are people getting it for?? Obviously only T-mobile work on that device...but why are people so certain that Tmobile allow that phone on their 3G network?? If not, isn't that a waste of money to buy it and not be able to use the 3G??

I heard Tmobile has something called Pre-paid Sidekick that charged you $1/day for unlimited data and text messages. But it only work for locked phone and NOT UNLOCKED?? So if I were to order the N900, how do i know they allow it??

I think the problem is that Tmobile want to cripple N900 so that internet call like Skype call...ect..is not allowed because if people can call using internet, then there is no point of getting voice service...everybody will switch to pre-paid Sidekick. But i think that's where the future is headed. Voice data service will be obsolete in favor of internet phone call.

The Following User Says Thank You to romanianusa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by romanianusa View Post
I heard Tmobile has something called Pre-paid Sidekick that charged you $1/day for unlimited data and text messages. But it only work for locked phone and NOT UNLOCKED?? So if I were to order the N900, how do i know they allow it??
I too would like to know if the prepaid Sidekick plan will work for the N900 and which features it will support (3G, tethering, etc.).

I called my local T-Mobile store and asked about having an unlocked phone. They said just bring it in and setup an account. Based on another thread, I believe the issue is if T-Mobile would subsidize the N900.

Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
The N900 unlocked that you can pre-order from NokiaUSA. What are people getting it for?? Obviously only T-mobile work on that device...but why are people so certain that Tmobile allow that phone on their 3G network??
I talked to T-Mobile about this before I ordered an unlocked N900, just to be sure. I have a G1 right now on the $25 Android unlimited data + 400 message plan. I was told all I have to do is call them back when I get the phone and they will switch me to a special data plan for unlocked phones. A simple click-click re-configuration on their end of some sort and I'm good to go. No waiting for it to take effect. No change in price or service, still unlimited data + 400 messages.

So apparently no problem, but well find out for certain when that N900 arrives.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
I talked to T-Mobile about this before I ordered an unlocked N900, just to be sure. I have a G1 right now on the $25 Android unlimited data + 400 message plan. I was told all I have to do is call them back when I get the phone and they will switch me to a special data plan for unlocked phones. A simple click-click re-configuration on their end of some sort and I'm good to go. No waiting for it to take effect. No change in price or service, still unlimited data + 400 messages.

Wow good price! You get all the skype you can eat plus enough text for anyone who is not a teenager.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Why another thread on this so soon? The OP posted in a related one as well...

Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post

Wow...this is exciting to here that they allow N900 unlocked. Do you have voice data plan as well? Is your 400 messages included with the unlimited data or did you added separately?? Because i figure with unlimited data you can just message through the use of unlimited internet like AIM or Yahoo Messenger..no need for the 400+ limit messages.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Why another thread on this so soon? The OP posted in a related one as well...
Mod break?!

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Wow...this is exciting to here that they allow N900 unlocked. Do you have voice data plan as well? Is your 400 messages included with the unlimited data or did you added separately?? Because i figure with unlimited data you can just message through the use of unlimited internet like AIM or Yahoo Messenger..no need for the 400+ limit messages.
I don't know about the plan that was posted, but yes T-Mobile sells unlimited plans for unlocked phones that allow access to the whole Internet, including Yahoo. The 400 messages is for SMS (phone-to-phone) messages.

Boy Genius Report has a powerpoint from a T-Mobile presentation, showing new phone introductions for the next couple of months. The newly announced Moto Cliq is on the list, but no sign of the N900. That certainly doesn't rule out a N900 on T-Mobile sometime in the future, but it doesn't look like Christmas will include a subsidized N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mistermix For This Useful Post: