So I was looking around the TMO threads and found out some of interesting facts and how n900 is way better then other phones(OS)..
So if anyone can contribute some facts about it .. so it will be helpful..
(I'm making a project on n900(maemo5) so i need some facts about it tried it in wikipedia and google but found nothing)

something lyk dis:
Originally Posted by skykooler View Post
Show me a phone that can do all the N900 can (run Linux natively, Android natively, boot 6+ OS's, crack WEP, vnc, run OpenOffice, root without voiding warranty ... too many to list) and then maybe. Until then, the N900 will live on.
Sorry for my writing !
I tried my best to search but couldnt find some relating to it so I thought posting here would be appropriate !
(In wiki it shows the specs of n900 i wanted how n900 is better than other phones in terms of OS,hackability / customizability etc.. )

Last edited by G.One; 2012-02-08 at 17:17.

I don't mean this to be rude, but, you will get better responses if you

1) Try Wikipedia for a generic introduction
2) Ask specific questions, if there's something you don't understand.
3) Use conventional English - w3 d0n't d0 l33tsp34k.

Please take this advice in the constructive spirit in which it is meant. The open source community can be very welcoming, but, we have a concept usually denoted by the letters RTFM. Please research this first...

Last edited by magick777; 2012-02-08 at 16:52. Reason: Include relevant Wikipedia link

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to magick777 For This Useful Post:
This post may be of some help to you...

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post

thanks now my head hurts

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
@vi_
Really didn't know whether to laugh or cry on reading the post you referenced. The thought came to mind: "Who thinks like this and who believes writing like this is comprehensible or acceptable?" (with a level of outrage!). The language isn't even phonetic or using ackowledged acronyms, it's just crazy!

Thanks for bringing it to our attention as to how not to post!

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Legend for even knowing that post was there!

Enjoyed that...

Although if I wrote a post like that I would be looking for a new keyboard!

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

update 1st post with "felicitous" English

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G.One For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
"Who thinks like this and who believes writing like this is comprehensible or acceptable?"
Probably this guy.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Right, at least we now have something to talk about, thank you for clarifying. Writing this from an N900, so no links, but the principal benefit in terms of OS or customisability is the fact that the Maemo OS uses Linux, a FOSS operating system, as its core.

In terms of software, that means that millions of man/hours of work previously done on Linux can be ported easily. It also means the OS fundamentally handles multitasking and multiple desktops well, giving much more power to the UI than on (for instance) a S60 phone like the N96. Everyone uses that differently, of course.

The same fundamental truth applies to hacking and customising... such things as undervolting and overclocking weren't written from the ground up for the N900, but are made possible by the fact that it uses a relatively (for a phone) standard architecture - Linux on ARM.

The final thing that makes the difference, IMHO, is an almost unbreakable system to reflash the phone if you mess it up. This has permitted skilled users to play with their phones and develop all the clever (and not so clever) stuff.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to magick777 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Indore,India
Originally Posted by magick777 View Post
Right, at least we now have something to talk about, thank you for clarifying. Writing this from an N900, so no links, but the principal benefit in terms of OS or customisability is the fact that the Maemo OS uses Linux, a FOSS operating system, as its core.

In terms of software, that means that millions of man/hours of work previously done on Linux can be ported easily. It also means the OS fundamentally handles multitasking and multiple desktops well, giving much more power to the UI than on (for instance) a S60 phone like the N96. Everyone uses that differently, of course.

The same fundamental truth applies to hacking and customising... such things as undervolting and overclocking weren't written from the ground up for the N900, but are made possible by the fact that it uses a relatively (for a phone) standard architecture - Linux on ARM.

The final thing that makes the difference, IMHO, is an almost unbreakable system to reflash the phone if you mess it up. This has permitted skilled users to play with their phones and develop all the clever (and not so clever) stuff.
yeah .....

The Fastest Transition.ini file is here !! Along with Smooth transitions !!

Plz help in expanding the harmattan icons pack !!

Can i has thanks ?