Closed Thread
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
Not actually. It is supposed to be paid by Microsoft over 4 quarters at US$250 million per quarter. The first bribe was paid in Q4 2011. The second should have just been paid. I take it that Nokia's mega losses are despite these payouts.
That more or less was my understanding too, just not sure if it is 250m$ set in stone or depending on other factors (numbers sold, market share, devices introduced...)

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Wait! This was one-time only payback??? Had the understanding that as long as Nokia endorses WP those will trickle down... Would keep them lossless at least for some time

the one billion was to get them to use windows phone as their primary Os. But according to the deal. MS said (paraphrasing) nokia is allowed to make changes to wp at a core level. To understand why nokia choses wp you need to understand it from a investment perspective. Android is a lose in investment for nokia not because of customer size, but their brand. I tried explaining before it is hard, no one understood. For example. Ok nokia invest heavily in RND. So when ms told them they can do changes and improve wp, where they are market leaders a real world translation is-- you put your code in our Os and every phone with windows phone Os we sell you get royalties. So their Intellectual property is working, say htc uses wp, they have to pay ms and ms pays nokia for it's platform being built upon nokia's code. But on android, nokia will be the one paying royalties to google. The problem here is greed, nokia did not want it's investment go to waste. But seeing I cannot change what happened, I'm watching to see how ms-nokia does. I do think the way the situation was handled was wrong, I do think nokia handled it the wrong way. If they knew they were going to kill symbian they should not have said it in them way they did. Sony is an example of a company who made them transition very well. From sony ericsson xperia range, to SONY xperia. I am disappointed at the Nokia situation. But at the end of it all, all I can do is watch and see hating won't make a difference. And nokia is just a company like google, htc, samsung, all they care about is my money, so I'm look what works for my best interest. I don't understand though, why as end users do profit margins matter? Unless you guys have stocks? Ohh well.

Originally Posted by specc View Post
Plan A is not about phones, it's about ecosystems. (and yes, some people here don't like the word ecosystem). Plan A is to cooperate with MS creating a third ecosystem. Obviously there is no plan B, Nokia cannot create [a competitive] ecosystem for high end smartphones on their own, they tried and failed (Symbian, Maemo).

Nokia needs to lower the prices for Lumias. If they don't, WP will be gone forever, but Nokia will not be gone. As it looks right now (extremely regrettably I must admit) is that in one year we will see the first Nokia PureView running Android.
Dont think pureviews camera will work very well on android. I saw them doing trading your old smart phone for a lumia 800 at phones4u. Well the advert. I think the lumia are a bit expensive as well. i went to cpw and saw a lumia pay as you go for £399 plus ms is not subsidising the lumia/wp7 Os. Agreed with the point of the ecosystem. As not to offend anyone, you should say "services", don't like it's implementation, they are forcing it upon users, bad...

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Ashbeck View Post
Oddly, Little Olde symbian is still going strong, Poor thing. but then again, symbian is not limited to only smartphones.
I'm not sure I understand where that stat comes from. Is that counting web site hits? Sales? Activations? I'm not sure what they graph is showing us.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I'm not sure I understand where that stat comes from. Is that counting web site hits? Sales? Activations? I'm not sure what they graph is showing us.
While also not sure what data it is based on one thing is certain from this graph: Symbian grows

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
While also not sure what data it is based on one thing is certain from this graph: Symbian grows
Yeah.. that's what seems confusing. It doesn't seem to agree with most statistics I've seen. I'm wondering in what category Symbian is managing to hold such a high percentage. Web site hits? Certainly not activations.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Hope not based on webhits for symbian-life.com, it would still be a little encouraging though

Originally Posted by uTMY View Post
so no downside there then!
To be honest, I would actually prefer a PureView device running Android. The OS itself is not that important for a pure camera phone like that, but with Android tons of developers would make cool apps utilizing the camera to it's full potential.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Yeah.. that's what seems confusing. It doesn't seem to agree with most statistics I've seen. I'm wondering in what category Symbian is managing to hold such a high percentage. Web site hits? Certainly not activations.

You forget symbian is not limited to smartphone, plus, the stats are global.

their declaration. ata Sample Credit/Licensing Stats are based on aggregate data
collected by StatCounter on a sample
exceeding 15 billion pageviews per
month collected from across the
StatCounter network of more than 3
million websites. Stats are updated and made available every 4 hours, however
are subject to quality assurance testing
and revision for 14 days from
publication. Please don't ask mee to go looking for other sources to cross analyse, I'm on mobile. Maybe later.

Last edited by Ashbeck; 2012-04-21 at 10:57.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by Ashbeck View Post
the one billion was to get them to use windows phone as their primary Os. But according to the deal. MS said (paraphrasing) nokia is allowed to make changes to wp at a core level. To understand why nokia choses wp you need to understand it from a investment perspective. Android is a lose in investment for nokia not because of customer size, but their brand. I tried explaining before it is hard, no one understood. For example. Ok nokia invest heavily in RND. So when ms told them they can do changes and improve wp, where they are market leaders a real world translation is-- you put your code in our Os and every phone with windows phone Os we sell you get royalties. So their Intellectual property is working, say htc uses wp, they have to pay ms and ms pays nokia for it's platform being built upon nokia's code. But on android, nokia will be the one paying royalties to google. The problem here is greed, nokia did not want it's investment go to waste. But seeing I cannot change what happened, I'm watching to see how ms-nokia does. I do think the way the situation was handled was wrong, I do think nokia handled it the wrong way. If they knew they were going to kill symbian they should not have said it in them way they did. Sony is an example of a company who made them transition very well. From sony ericsson xperia range, to SONY xperia. I am disappointed at the Nokia situation. But at the end of it all, all I can do is watch and see hating won't make a difference. And nokia is just a company like google, htc, samsung, all they care about is my money, so I'm look what works for my best interest. I don't understand though, why as end users do profit margins matter? Unless you guys have stocks? Ohh well.

Ok I have a few questions. First of all does anyone know about a change nokia made to the WP code???? Second of all if nokia can actually make changes and then Microsoft offers WP to other manifacturers isn't Nokia doing R&D for free for companies like htc and samsung? Third of all where it was ever said that MS is to split royalty income with Nokia? Since when is google asking royalties for android????

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen