Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Hey guys.

I had my tablet stolen from my home a bit over two months ago with no possible leads to where it might be.

It doesn't have GPS enabled, because I am stupid and manually turned it off.

However, the person who is using my tablet has also been using my Pandora account.

I emailed Pandora and they gave me my account history which includes timestamps and the IP address from where they are streaming their music from.

Is it possible to get an exact address from this?

Cheers.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
Police can ask service provider for this information

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Okay.

The thing is here, I'm not a priority case with the police since I live in Murderville, USA.

Is there anything I can do on my own?

It's a theft, police should act. If you provide them IP address and to which ISP it belongs you did half of the job for them. ISP won't give you the details, but for a police inquiry in criminal case they will

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
no use police wont help as it isint the priority someone is happily using my both n900s.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
no use police wont help as it isint the priority someone is happily using my both n900s.
Well, is the IP address they use changing a lot or is it fairly static?

If it is more or less static you can expect they are propably using it from some house where they have a wlan AP and t is connected to either a wireless or wired broadband.

You can get the provider by digging around a bit, and if it is a wired connection you may be able to sweet-talk the operator into giving you street address, after all that's not classified info.

If it's a wireless broadband, you might not get the subscribes address so easily.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well, is the IP address they use changing a lot or is it fairly static?

If it is more or less static you can expect they are propably using it from some house where they have a wlan AP and t is connected to either a wireless or wired broadband.

You can get the provider by digging around a bit, and if it is a wired connection you may be able to sweet-talk the operator into giving you street address, after all that's not classified info.

If it's a wireless broadband, you might not get the subscribes address so easily.
Provider should be easy to pinpoint (traceroute the IP, last few hops should have enough info, at least in poland all providers use more or less such template near the end node
Code:
<jibberish>.acronymofprovider<somenumbers>.com.pl
or similar), still doubt they would give out info without some police letter/backing

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Could use http://ip-adress.com to get generic tracing. Sorry to hear about your loss man.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
juiceme then for my n900s as i dont have any clue can tmo help by giving the ip adress of the device as i posted with that can it be tracked ?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
juiceme then for my n900s as i dont have any clue can tmo help by giving the ip adress of the device as i posted with that can it be tracked ?
Unless you have some service running on your device that can be tracked it is not possible.
Why it is possible with the OP's device is because he had active pandora account and the thief is so stupid he's been using the account to listen to music. it was possible for OP to ask from pandora what IP has been used.

In your case, unless the thief uses something like that, it is absolutely impossible to track them with IP, as you don't know the IP they have

However, you know the IMEI of the devices, so in theory you could get police to find out from operator who is usein the evice with that IMEI. (but you say police will not help...)