Active Topics

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
this in my email

"Hi,

according to our bank records the order has come through successfully. The actual charge will be done at the time the device is actually shipped to you.

DDP team - please advise Vamsi on the expected shipment of the device and on the warranty matter, thanks.

BR,
Tuija
Forum Nokia Developer Programs"

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Thanks sachin007 (nice, we've got out own 007 to investigate for us )

What's this "please advise Vamsi on the expected shipment of the device and on the warranty matter, thanks." ?

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
hmmm, not entirely happy with the current warranty issue. I Should have bought one in the US last week when I was there, and I would have almost the same warranty as a device bought through the DDP... (no, I'm not willing to ship a broken unit all the way back to the US)

I'm seriously reconsidering my decision to go through the DDP: the thing that makes me remain "faithful" to the DDP is the fact that I would get a US keyboard instead of a localized one if I buy a device in Switzerland...

In any case, this looks like a bad move from Nokia, which I hope will get resolved in one way or in another. Furthermore a more clear communication from Nokia (or from Quim - but I understand that he has not much ties with the DDP) would have made everything easier for everybody...

oh well...

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
they are basically screwing over the active community/developer
Let me get this straight...

You're being offered what amounts to a several hundred dollar discount on a device. Yet, because it doesn't come with everything you want, you're being "screwed over"? Sounds more like a spoiled child than an abusive parent, personally.

The offer may not meet your needs/standards. That doesn't mean you're being screwed over. It means that the offer doesn't fit you. If the offer doesn't suit you, don't send them your money. No "screwing over" involved.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Indeed, and it should also be noted that the N810 hasn't been fault-free. Many units are inclined to have their touchscreen cables come lose, leading to inaccurate and unreliable touchscreen input and sometimes apparently "dead" LCDs.
Ah! that may be the reason why my N810 is behaving weird.. I have to re-calibrate it once a day.

I'll see if I can look at it inside...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
You're being offered what amounts to a several hundred dollar discount on a device. Yet, because it doesn't come with everything you want, you're being "screwed over"? Sounds more like a spoiled child than an abusive parent, personally.
Actually, it amounts to about an $110 discount when compared to Amazon. Not very good when you factor in the warranty.

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
The offer may not meet your needs/standards. That doesn't mean you're being screwed over. It means that the offer doesn't fit you. If the offer doesn't suit you, don't send them your money. No "screwing over" involved.
It's frustrating and damaging to both Nokia and the community to have an offer like this which isn't suitable for many of the people receiving it. There's an argument to made for your position, sure, however resorting to personal insults is neither productive nor civil.

Everybody here wants one thing: a discount program which is easy to use and is effective in its goals (namely, encouraging continued contribution to the platform and its community). This program seems to be failing here.

With a well executed program you should have a very limited refusal rate, but when I can come up with a dozen names (out of a total program list of about 180) who I know wont (or can't) be taking advantage of their discount and only because they've said so in public and I've noticed their comments, then you know there's a problem.

This isn't about being a "spoiled child" as you so eloquently put it, it's about trying to fix the problems with this program so that future programs don't experience the same issues.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
True, it is not "screwing over" anyone here.. but surely this is not the way to do it.

All of us are open source developers and do this for free.
Paying 250 euro for a device like the N900 is indeed a very good price, but 250 euro for a device like the N900 without a warranty, then it is not a good price.
It's a price for a device without a warranty.
It's not a discounted price.
And it does upset me, as free software developer.

The first devices were given for 99 euro with FULL warranty, and is not getting used to it, it's simply being fair to us.

I would pay 99 euro for a device without a warranty, but not 250 euro.
To me, it's a risk. And I am not willing to do take it. Even if I had'nt been given a loaned one.

Aniello

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
I suppose the idea behind the one-week warranty is that developers are more likely to be messing around with the internals of the device compared to regular customers.

If the discount is good enough, the one-week warranty may save lots of arguments about whether a fault is Nokia's responsibility or whether a developer has voided the warranty (by soldering to the USB pins or making a "will it blend video" or whatever).

If I were eligible, I'd be buying a developers' device, notwithstanding the short warranty.

Regards,
Roger

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Actually, it amounts to about an $110 discount when compared to Amazon. Not very good when you factor in the warranty.
This EUR/USD thing keeps fascinating me. On this side of the pond just the *discount* is roughly $530.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Yorkshire
I am far from a lawyer, however:

DIRECTIVE 1999/44/EC OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL
Time limits

1. The seller shall be held liable under Article 3 where the lack of conformity becomes apparent within two years as from delivery of the goods. If, under national legislation, the rights laid down in Article 3(2) are subject to a limitation period, that period shall not expire within a period of two years from the time of delivery.
I'm one of the few people that understands that an EU Directive is not a law. However, I believe Finland have ratified this directive.

Full directive.