Active Topics

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
theres no india

Last edited by nokiabot; 2013-11-05 at 16:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Coretech View Post
It's surely only illegal in the US The rest of the world would enjoy the open source/NSA free gsm stack. Sorry for the off-topic messages.
Actually, no. Certification issues make the device without it (so for instance, with replaced firmware) illegal to operate on public networks in most countries on the world. Of course you can use it on your own network - for which you need a permission to run :P

Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
Is it actually illegal to release the source code for a GSM stack?
Releasing the source code is not illegal, but see above.

Also, see https://trisquel.info/en/forum/true-...eo900-openmoko
I've wrote a bit about it there.

Hopefully that answers your questions. If not, I'll be happy to talk with you, but in some different topic please - don't make mess in this one.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Please stay on topic! On a sidenote a phone with FOSS GSM stack is illegal to operate, everywhere except in anarchies where they won't have any network provider to use it in. Please stop spreading false claims here! A GSM stack needs certification and that has to be done even by the network operators. Operating a transmitter is basically illegal everywhere on the world without a licence to do so. I'd appreciate when you simply would delete your posts. They are incorreect and OT.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Coretech View Post
The ultimate phone would be a phone with the hardware of the Neo900 (with osmocom firmware) and a rectangular case. But that's just wishful thinking. I bet the next Neo phone will be spherical
My ultimate phone has a hardware keyboard and i'm pretty sure people like me are the target group for this project since it obviously is an upgrade to the N900, which had a hardware keyboard.

Now, if only my monthly salary was not 350 euro

Last edited by Daneel; 2013-11-04 at 19:04.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
Please stay on topic! On a sidenote a phone with FOSS GSM stack is illegal to operate, everywhere except in anarchies where they won't have any network provider to use it in. Please stop spreading false claims here! A GSM stack needs certification and that has to be done even by the network operators. Operating a transmitter is basically illegal everywhere on the world without a licence to do so. I'd appreciate when you simply would delete your posts. They are incorrect and OT.

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Please stay on topic! On a sidenote a phone with FOSS GSM stack is illegal to operate, everywhere except in anarchies where they won't have any network provider to use it in. Please stop spreading false claims here! A GSM stack needs certification and that has to be done even by the network operators. Operating a transmitter is basically illegal everywhere on the world without a licence to do so. I'd appreciate when you simply would delete your posts. They are incorrect and OT.
Is this default answer Goldelico forces you to use whenever anyone asks about GSM stack? Screw the NSA-free part? I'll answer myself:

a phone with FOSS GSM stack is illegal to operate, everywhere except in anarchies where they won't have any network provider to use it in. Please stop spreading false claims here! A GSM stack needs certification and that has to be done even by the network operators. Operating a transmitter is basically illegal everywhere on the world without a licence to do so.

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
@mods
PLEASE NUKE THE LAST 20orso POSTS!
thanks!

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
btw the NSA doesn't need or want a spyware in the GSM firmware. As long as the modem works, it already does what the NSA needs, without any malware or patches. When somebody wants to spy on you, they need to make the phone pretend it's off while it isn't. For Neo900 this means they must place some spyware/malware on the linux system, not on the modem. The linux system is completely FOSS and under user's total absolute control. When the modem is off, then it's off, no malware inside modem could power it up on remote command. And particularly it could never start transmitting any data without the linux system noticing that. So it's up to user(land) to keep an eye on modem and holler when it acts strange.

On a sidenote: afaik all contemporary modem chipsets are tivoized. You can't run any firmware on them that's not signed by the owner of the private signature key, i.e. the chip manuf. Even the calypso had that option but TI didn't use it.
/j

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-11-04 at 21:13.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Is this default answer Goldelico forces you to use whenever anyone asks about GSM stack? Screw the NSA-free part? I'll answer myself:

a phone with FOSS GSM stack is illegal to operate, everywhere except in anarchies where they won't have any network provider to use it in. Please stop spreading false claims here! A GSM stack needs certification and that has to be done even by the network operators. Operating a transmitter is basically illegal everywhere on the world without a licence to do so.
which pretty fine shows what I failed to transport to your mind: STAY ON TOPIC is what you evidently missed to read and understand its meaning.

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Can someone explain the logo to me please. Why is the screaming phoenix going back into the fire? Shouldn't it be rising from the ashes? I don't want this project to crash and burn. Thanks in advance.

http://static.neo900.org/openphoenux.png
Its a burning broken NSA antenna telling the users its NSA free...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-11-05 at 18:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post: