Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
Well around 5 months ago, my usb port broke off and i read alotta ppl complaining about a fix/solution. http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37107
well recently, i got a solder gun coz i had alotta broken electronics and so i decided to fix the n900.
looked really hard but not really.
first up, the usb port doesnt have a complicated fix. its simple. superglue. thats for both, the ones who have a solid port but its shaky and for ones whos port broke out.
and the port is connected by around 5 tiny solder points that are hard to solder back and a couple more on sides to keep it firm *but they're weak, trust me.* good thing is, even if you did break the port, the solder points on the chip are not ripped out mainly coz the solder points aren't jus tiny, they're weak so its just the port thats damaged. in other words, you can still save alotta money and fix it urself..

so here's what i did. here in saudi arabia, its hard to find spare parts unless u find em on the streets LOL
so i took my dad's 5730 *they use the same port and is equally weak *even in 5800 coz i had it and the same thing happened, sold it later.. anyway, i guess its the port thats weak or its just nokia*
opening my dad's phone and desoldering it would take too long, he was sleeping and i stole the phone *he doesnt use usb too often, if not at all*.. so i decided not to open it but break the port out.
the port isn't broken by moving it up or down but rather left and right.
you all dont need that, if u still have ur old port, its still operational. coz mine came out but i can still place it in and if i place it the right way, it worked till i lost mine..

thats all you need to know..

now here's the step by step on what i did..
READ IT ALL BEFORE YOU DO IT AND I CANT MAKE THIS MORE NOOB FRIENDLY
DONT BLAME ME COZ YOU'RE NOT CAREFUL -__________-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVEHm325-z8

you dont need to follow the whole video through.. its jus for reference..
first, remove the back panel and remove 6 screws.. 4 are standard, 2 are the b*itchy ones, the t6 type.. be careful with those coz i dont think i can unscrew mine anymore..
for them, use a plastic stick and melt it.. and place it on top of it so it takes the screws shape and use it as a screw driver.. or use a standard one with the right size.. *i got the plastic idea late but its more effective and less damaging..*

the 4 standard ones remove the lcd and the 2 t6 remove the keyboard and give u access to the main board..
after you have all the screws out, dont tamper with the screen. there's a film connecting the screen to the rest.. the connection in on the main n900, not the back of the screen. so remove the film, as in gently pull it out. now place the screen aside and work on removing the keyboard and then getting access to the main board.
under the main board is a thing thats around a camera attached with a film and stuck with sticky glue, not permanent.. jus remove it but dont damage the film. its an obstruction to the usb port..
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/5918/img0504ib.jpg

you'll see that the usb area and solder points that are broken off and around 5 points that are hard to solder coz they're too tiny.. doesnt mean you have to solder them.
my dad's phone's usb port had broken points so the lenght was shortened but they were enough
i bent em down to around 45* downwards. i used the -- kinda screwdriver so its not bent left or right, jus down.
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6312/unledkuw.png
*its 45* on the pic, made a mistake, too lazy to correct*

then i used the super glue *liquid* *http://www.alteco.com.sg/products_superglue_sg2.shtml* and spilled a REALLY LITTLE AMOUNT around the solder area where i was gonna place the usb port. so that the port is above the glue. this is just to hold the usb port vaguely in place. we bent the connectors downwards so when u place the usb, they straighten up. for a noob, we place the new port in place of the old port that broke off in a way that the connectors are over the connecting area on the main board. so it connects without the need to solder. but make sure you dont spill any glue on the solder points itself..
after the glue dries up and the usb port wont move and the points are connected appropriately, i used a quick epoxy glue *thats what they call it here.. its like 2 gluey things, one called hardener and one risen, we mix it and apply it and when it dries up, its rock solid* and spread it around the usb port's back and sides and left it to dry.. after it did, it was rock solid..
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/9294/unledpeu.jpg

then close it all up, put back the screws.. patch em up tight.. and turn it on.. it will work unless u placed the liquid glue on the connectors *ure screwed so be careful, wont happen though if ure smart enough* or u didnt place the port correctly *make sure all the connectors on port are touching the appropriate connectors on the main board..*, use a magnifying glass or better yet, place the battery back in before applying the epoxy.. then plug in the usb port.. see if it boots up to charge.. will vibrate otherwise connect the screen back and then place the battery and then put in the usb.. the orange charging light should come up.. this way, you wont have to open up the n900 again and saves u from the damage. epoxy is hard to remove, the liquid one jus breaks off so u can reposition and place the glue again..

and yea, its 3am.. im not sleep and happy so felt like sharing my lil adventure.. sweet dreams to all my fellow saudi fags *trust me, they act gay in a harassing way, its normal for them*..
and hope this helped ya'll.
and no im not saudi -__-
i'm a terrorist :P

Last edited by fahadj2003; 2011-07-10 at 19:42.

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
Shoul've put some C4 in it while you're at it, for protection against theft :P u could use smscon to detonate

Thanks for sharing

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fasza2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fasza2 View Post
Shoul've put some C4 in it while you're at it, for protection against theft :P u could use smscon to detonate

Thanks for sharing
u think im kidding? :P
*blows himself up*
NOW LOOK AT WHAT YOU MADE ME DO

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Stole your dad's port, C4, etc.. you guys are nuts!

The Following User Says Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 298 | Thanked: 341 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ This world :)
If you are lucky (or unlucky) enough to work in Nigeria, they will fix it for you within one hour; done it twice already and cost less than fifty bucks.

Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
Stole your dad's port, C4, etc.. you guys are nuts!
my dad, being a doctor doesnt have C4..
and about his usb port.. well.. he wont find out.. even if he does, i'll blame it on him.. that he broke it :P
coz he had it since 8 months but never used the usb.. :/

Originally Posted by StefanL View Post
If you are lucky (or unlucky) enough to work in Nigeria, they will fix it for you within one hour; done it twice already and cost less than fifty bucks.
50$ is almost 200sr..
what i jus did costed me 10sr for the glue stuff..
i mean cmon.. i can buy a ps3 game instead of wasting it to repair nokia's fault..

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Prevention is better than cure.

I bought this Samsung charger from eBay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The plug goes into the N900 soooo much easier than the standard Nokia one. Whenever I plug the Nokia charger in or pull it out, it feels like I'm scraping my nails down a blackboard. But this Samsung charger just clicks in and out really nicely.

I'd recommend it to any N900 owner tbh.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by fahadj2003 View Post
i'm a terrorist :P
So it's true. Bin Laden is still alive!

Wait a minute. What are those guys doing outside your house. They're wearing black masks and carrying machine guns. Hang on, one of them is turning around. He's wearing a jacket with three letters on it. C.....I.....A.

My website

GitHub

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
So it's true. Bin Laden is still alive!

Wait a minute. What are those guys doing outside your house. They're wearing black masks and carrying machine guns. Hang on, one of them is turning around. He's wearing a jacket with three letters on it. C.....I.....A.
can you see a mushroom cloud in front on him? if not, then its not my house..

Jeddah? dammam? Riyadh? and also i got my usb broken twice got fixed twice by al haddad for free both times

Tags
deprecated!