Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I gave up and I restored the pr1.2 vkb. I somehow feel it is tad more accurate (maybe an algorithm to check push area is implemented instead of just taking the exact x, y). If I find some time I will try again because even so, I prefer the gestures and the vertical numpad.

rant time:
WHY DOES EVERYBODY HAVE TO COPY APPLE IN EVERY STUPID THING THEY DO?? WHO THE **** THOUGHT THAT HAVING THE NUMBERS IN A LINE IS BY ANY MEANS BETTER THAN HAVING THEM IN A NUMPAD LAYOUT??
finished ranting
________
Air One 5.0

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Just curious, how did the vkb look pre-PR 1.1?

Same as pr1.1
The only difference is that you could type a capital letter by dragging the letter button upwards. Similarly dragging left equaled a backspace, right a space, down a carriage return. It also missed the colored "preview" of the letter when you pressed it.
________
FaeKitty

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Here's the result from my first attempt of just copying over files, running hildon-im-recache and rebooting.

These are basically my copy routines:

Code:
mkdir /usr/lib/hildon-input-method/new
cp -a /usr/lib/hildon-input-method/{hil,w}* new
mkdir /usr/lib/hildon-input-method/old
cp -a <old /usr/lib/hildon-input-method>/{hil,w}* /usr/lib/hildon-input-method/old
cp -a /usr/lib/hildon-input-method/old/* /usr/lib/hildon-input-method
mkdir /usr/lib/new
mkdir /usr/lib/old
cp -a /usr/lib/libhildon-im-* /usr/lib/new
cp -a <old /usr/lib>/libhildon-im-* /usr/lib/old
cp -a /usr/lib/old/* /usr/lib
The bad: The actual keyboard didn't show up.

The good:
  • The pieces that did show up work.
  • All the code, new and old, that call the plugins are available.

I've been waiting for both the PR 1.2 SDK and the device PR 1.2 to be available. After looking at the HIM PR 1.2 changes, I decided to wait before trying to do my own stuff. But worst case, I might be able to bring some old code forward and thus have the original keyboard working again. Also, it might just be a matter of using some other old files, but I probably won't be able to look at this again until next week.

Name:  IMG_2441.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  29.2 KB

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post

that reminds me of my empty keyboard. Maybe reflash and try again? I didn't even have that. No response.
________
Buy Glass Bongs

the old virtual keyboard made it easy to type quickly, now i can't type correctly in the new layout, i hope we'll find a way to bring back the old fantastic vkb layout

Originally Posted by slipkornsaad View Post
the old virtual keyboard made it easy to type quickly, now i can't type correctly in the new layout, i hope we'll find a way to bring back the old fantastic vkb layout
I agree, the new keyboard is absolute pants. Bring back the old one - typing on the was so much faster and easier.

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 83 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Estonia
No luck replacing pr1.2 vkb yet?
Before 1.2 I used vkb mostly but now only hw keyboard. Because of smaller keys in 1.2 vkb I make too many typos.