Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
weird,

My version of mafw-dbus-daemon is 0.3.2010.36-1+0m5 (like yours) and when I list the package-owned files (with dpkg -L) the very last file (after /etc/osso-*) is /etc/X11/Xsession.post/32mafw

Can you do a apt-get --reinstall install mafw-dbus-daemon and see if 32mafw shows up?

Otherwise I could send you the file.

Could other people do the same and confirm/deny whether the 32mafw script is present on their system?

I have the same version of mafw-dbus-daemon installed, though there is no 32mafw file in /etc/X11/Xsession.post/ (and it's not listed in dpkg -L output). I have no sound problems, though.

OK. I found bug #5637 (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5637).

Apparently originally all mafw plugins were run by the 32mafw plugin. The bug was fixed by starting the plugins separately and removing 32mafw.

But 32mafw is NOT removed if it was there and you upgraded OTA. Which was my case (I originally had PR1.2 and upgraded to 1.3 OTA). I have never reflashed this particular N900.

So in theory I could go now and delete 32mafw. But this is what @jgbreezer has, and he has a problem.

[EDIT: I have deleted 32mafw after checking that, in theory, it shouldn't change anything. Have yet to reboot, but not now]

I don't really have much time to continue looking into this (music and video works for me, even though I rarely listen/watch anything on the N900).

Last edited by reinob; 2012-10-11 at 14:24.

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
Well could someone send me their 32mafw and I'll see if that helps me. Interested to know if your next reboot works too, after you removed it.

Yes, I definitely have a daemon package without the file and reinstalling doesn't put it there (attached a txt file listing info).
Attached Files
File Type: txt mafw-info.txt (2.2 KB, 60 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to jgbreezer For This Useful Post:
@jgbreezer,

Could you try to reboot, and, before running your mafw.sh start .. command type "ps ax | grep render"

You should see "/usr/bin/mafw-dbus-wrapper mafw-gst-renderer"

If NOT, it means that either the script was never run or that it stopped (shortly) after starting.

If YES, go to the media player and play something. Then go back to the terminal and check if the process is still there. I suppose that if the media player doesn't work (as you report in the first post) then the process will have died.

You might also want to have a look at /var/lib/dsme/stats/lifeguard_restarts
It lists how many times each dsme-controlled program has been restarted. In my case it says "1" time for mafw-gst-renderer. Check if you have a big number there.

In the restart counting file under /var/lib/..., I have no entries for gst-renderer! Not in that file or in the ".bak" suffixed version of it in the same dir either. Other processes have various no. of restarts; from systemui (1), hildon-home(8)/desktop(9), the camera-ui(591!).

"/usr/bin/mafw-dbus-wrapper mafw-dbus-wrapper" has an entry in there though at 10. I might have manually run the mafw start command twice at most on this boot, and on average a bit under once per boot for the last few weeks.

After a fresh boot, I see no render processes running (from the "ps ax") so it either died or never got started. I might try putting some debug log echo output into the other mafw x-session start script to a temporary/user-dir file and test it, but at this point I'd like to see what the "old" 32mafw command had in it that isn't on my phone anymore.

As usual, the media player doesn't work after a boot; but I did install Backupmenu and tried to create a backup of all filesystems on the SD card. Thought I'd fsck the drives while at it, they came up with a few errors and I presume that created some FSCK<nnnn>.REC files I now see on my SD card root dir in /media/mmc1

I don't see the backup systemBackups directory there though, there seems to be no indication that the backup is done (it just prints up a filename in the menu); I wasn't sure if it had finished so I pressed 'x' from that menu after waiting a bit, and it quit back to main menu. Wondering if it failed to write to the SD card. I'll try to the Docs folder next time, I should have enough space for it. Do you know if Backupmenu mounts the SD card writeable itself or should it be already? As I mentioned mine doesn't normally get mounted rw, so wondering if it failed to write the backup there for this reason.

The Following User Says Thank You to jgbreezer For This Useful Post:
Er, yeah; having tried to back up again to the internal eMMC flash (and needing to press the button twice on the menu to make it do it), it goes to a separate screen with progress report; so I dont think it even started before