Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
More bad news here http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04...de_nokia_junk/

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
You mean more good news. Why should we feel bad for the company that has sticked it in our behinds with every chance.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Zoxir View Post
You mean more good news. Why should we feel bad for the company that has sticked it in our behinds with every chance.
Because the vast majority of the people who will be hurt by Nokia failing are lower level employees who had nothing to do with the decision to abandon us. If Nokia goes bankrupt tomorrow, Elop will still be very wealthy. There's no chance that the people actually responsible for choosing Windoze will actually suffer if ZunePhones fail in the marketplace.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Nokia N9 is a good try, but not good enough. Its OS, while innovative is not revolutionary and was released as a beta version. It's not smooth. It lags, it stutters. It can't compete with the big boys. And how long did it take to get to N9? Five itinerarions? That is pathetic. Either Nokia engineers are real bad, or resources prior to Elop arriving were not spent appropriately.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
Because the vast majority of the people who will be hurt by Nokia failing are lower level employees who had nothing to do with the decision to abandon us. If Nokia goes bankrupt tomorrow, Elop will still be very wealthy. There's no chance that the people actually responsible for choosing Windoze will actually suffer if ZunePhones fail in the marketplace.
I understand what you're saying. I agree with you I only feel sorry for the workers there and for the guys that have already been fired.

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Nokia N9 is a good try, but not good enough. Its OS, while innovative is not revolutionary and was released as a beta version. It's not smooth. It lags, it stutters. It can't compete with the big boys. And how long did it take to get to N9? Five itinerarions? That is pathetic. Either Nokia engineers are real bad, or resources prior to Elop arriving were not spent appropriately.
Seriously, you are just trying to troll the boards now aren't you. Maybe you should do a little more research before commenting about the previous Maemo based Nokia Internet devices.

As for calling the N9 a beta device and not able to compete with "the big boys" just proves you are feeding on the MSFlop bull**** advertising machine. Ask youself this... What OS device is it that sinking Nokia into the whole ATM?

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Oslo - around
Wow. What a depressing conversation thread. At least for Nokia. I am actually much more positive about this. I think that this was well predicted, and that is why MS is giving NOKIA money, because NOKIA knew that Symbian wither fast, with or without Elop announcement, and MS money will help in transition.

The strategic alliance is not thinking quarters here, but many years. The true NOKIA-MS device was just released in the US, and more will come in the next 24 months. NOKIA is going thru transition, and it is natural that they will go through a nadir. I dont think NOKIA will go bankrupt, I do believe that they will rebound and BE a viable third ecosystem

All of this clearly depends on how well two companies interact together. If they dig in and work hard together, they will be successful. However, if finger pointing begins for poor results, that will be a disaster. Current financial results do not therefore predict much, and I still think that MS and NOKIA control their fate. My 50 cents
I will kill your hope of NOKIA and MS ever working together, the two companies are so different in culture and market that this is impossible. MS will go beely up first, and your assumption of the quick demise of the Symbian is also based on ignorance. The phones are all GSM phones, where all interfaces are according to STANDARDS. Ever heard of a standard that MS has agreed to adhere to? See how it has ignore TCP/IP for years? MS employees are former Radio Shack employees, ignorant with great ability to speak. NOKIA has developed their technology and contributed to the GSM standards. Their employees are PhD, code smith, with experience with those that buy their devices and the operators/carriers - and their systems.

The US has a problem that we cannot solve. We do not want a Marxist "ecosystem" - and I really doubt many Americans want it. So NOKIA as a very simple way out: Use Symbian for their phone - making all Qt coded apps available here, then work with Ubuntu and develop 2 Debian based variants - just upgrade the N900 with plain vanilla Ubuntu GNOME NotePad, and the N9 with the KDE. That should solve all issues related to availability of software.

The difference between these phones is in how the screen looks. Make my N900 a little bigger, fit with 2 batteries, increase CPU to 1.6GHz and keep the rest and call it N910. Do the same with the N9, and fire that reverse Pole. I left a company because the way my division made money caused envy, the reverse Pole should have the sense to know when to walk - when they still pay you for leaving, before they admit you and you plead insanity...

Do not post what you know NOTHING about.
The N9 is based on code that has been better tested than both Android and the iPhone, and not compared to MS WP. The core software is Linux, which is also very similar to MacOS (Unix BSD). The main difference to the N900 is how the frames are drawn and the colour used. Nokia made the N9 to comply with a project they had with Intel, and Samsung has made a prototype of a similar device. Finally: who are the "Big boys"? Look at the mobile handset market and tell me where the are the "Big boys". Android is a shot at a simplification of the same OS.

I have downgraded them a long time ago.
It is managed by people that does not have a clue about the market that they sell to, no idea about the technology they offer just firm believer in their own excellence. Any other sane person would have handed in their voluntary resignation a long time ago - but here, they keep on insisting that they are right.

Well, we will see. Ubuntu is coming with a phone that is based on the Android architecture. That will give those of us on N900 and N9 and exit path - to Samsung and HTC devices.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Seriously, you are just trying to troll the boards now aren't you. Maybe you should do a little more research before commenting about the previous Maemo based Nokia Internet devices.

As for calling the N9 a beta device and not able to compete with "the big boys" just proves you are feeding on the MSFlop bull**** advertising machine. Ask youself this... What OS device is it that sinking Nokia into the whole ATM?
I base my experience on N900 and N9. Have/had multiple of them. Beta OS, cant compete in the US. If you cant compete in the US, you will lose elsewhere. That is why NOKIA is so keen to penetrate the US market. Symbian couldnt do it. Meego is beta in every way possible. No American will put up with the laginess and stuttering and no apps. Apples iphone sold more than all of Symbian smartphones combined. NOKIA engineers just cant do it.

Tags
backdoors, buysomethinelse, danrantos, goodbye nokia, lumiadork, lumiaturd, nsa_cia_lumia, seasons in sun