Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
I'm back, *****es!
Welcome back, *****! It's nice to see the world of ultrabooks hasn't kept you completely from us

PayPal: okay, but is a community fund necessary this time? I mean, we have 20 N950!!!!
I'm not sure it's necessary but I think it could be nice to have it again, because it's another way for the community to be involved and show appreciation. If you remember back when the first competition was started I put $50 up as the prize, and quickly folks started pm'ing me as they wanted to contribute also. We started from a small weekend competition that snowballed into something a lot bigger! So I think there may be a willingness out there to have a bounty again. We could gauge the mood when the competition starts

But even if there wasn't, there are still ways for the community to participate in prizes. Last year i sponsored a programming book for a beginners prize, the year before we had the lazer cut stands and other bits and bobs. So it doesn't always have to be cash or paypal It was just a matter of pm'ing the winners for a postal address and sending the packages out.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Thanks for your thought, kojacker, I haven't seen it that way, but you're right. We should give the community an opportunity to show that they appreciate the developers work.

Do we already have a timeframe?
if someone has a little bit spare time, a wiki page would be awesome.

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2012-05-14 at 15:51.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,023 | Thanked: 4,421 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Argentina
Maybe I won't be able to participate, cause I've won a N9 on last competition.
But please, try to make it more organized.
You said that all shipment taxes has to be paid by winners
I've paid USD 300 for the N9, but nevermind, I love the phone
But I've donated the N900 that I won because I didn't have the money to pay taxes.
And after that, I've seen on last competition thread that nobody has paid for their N900.
I could have stayed with the N900, to sell it and get some money back from the N9 taxes.
Maybe those things should be clarified before the end of competition, and before another user rejects his prize because he doesn't have money to pay taxes.

Anyways, I'm really happy with my N9 and will keep working for it.

PS: my english sucks, sorry for that
CallBlocker for Harmattan

Support my work:
Paypal / Bitcoin

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CepiPerez For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by CepiPerez View Post
But please, try to make it more organized.
You said that all shipment taxes has to be paid by winners
I've paid USD 300 for the N9, but nevermind, I love the phone
But I've donated the N900 that I won because I didn't have the money to pay taxes.
And after that, I've seen on last competition thread that nobody has paid for their N900.
I could have stayed with the N900, to sell it and get some money back from the N9 taxes.
Maybe those things should be clarified before the end of competition, and before another user rejects his prize because he doesn't have money to pay taxes.

Anyways, I'm really happy with my N9 and will keep working for it.

PS: my english sucks, sorry for that
Hey CepiPerez, it sounds like you've been both lucky and unlucky with the competition. Congrats on being a winner, and it's great you love your N9! But rather than winning a free N9 you feel you have ended up with a discount because you had to pay shipping taxes on your prize, and I can understand why you'd feel bad about that

It's something we should keep in mind with the next competition, to be as clear as we can about shipping taxes etc. I remember from the competition thread that you did highlight your worry about taxes to us but it wasn't something that could be controlled when sending the package to you. Unfortunately, the truth is we won't know what these taxes would be until the package reaches you. As you know, custom fees is not something that's applied until the package reaches your country, and it's difficult to make these costs clear to entrants before the competition starts. Later, Zehjoktah reached out to Nokia for more information on shipping fees and offered some solution for the 3 entrants outside the EU, but it's not a perfect solution for everyone...

I know it's disappointing how the situation with the N900 worked out for you, but I hope it was still worthwhile for you to take part in the competition, CepiPerez

Having a community from all over the globe is one of the coolest things about talk.maemo.org, but it does make it trickier to send prizes to people! We don't want to exclude anyone from the competition ofcourse, just because of where they live, but it's really hard to know in advance how different countries will apply their own custom fees. It's also the same thing with paypal, in some countries it is not possible to use paypal. Zehjotkah had a problem with this before when paying out to Russian (I think it was Russia..) winners from the community bounty, and had to find a solution around it.

Oh, just because you're a winner last time doesn't mean you can't enter this time - in fact, I think it means you should return to defend your champion status! But this time we know about Argentina shipping taxes, so if you're lucky to win again we can work out some solution in advance

P.S. your English is fine, CepiPerez, it doesn't suck at all

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-05-14 at 13:25.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 747 | Thanked: 2,370 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Moscow, Russia
Greetings, can i enter into competition with huge update to existing application with was submitted by another maintainer last year? app was requested at community ideas section. some changes already done and released as night builds. uploading to extras-devel is in progress due to some tech problems.

Originally Posted by Custodian View Post
Greetings, can i enter into competition with huge update to existing application with was submitted by another maintainer last year? app was requested at community ideas section. some changes already done and released as night builds. uploading to extras-devel is in progress due to some tech problems.
Hey Custodian - the rules for the 2012 competition haven't been set yet but we did allow significant updates to existing applications to be entered in the previous two competitions. A significant update would be something like a new feature or functionality, rather than minor tweaks. Specifically, the competition rule for entries last year was:

•All applications, which are created and uploaded during the duration of the Competition will take part in the election. For existing programs, only progress which has been made during the Competition will be considered. When porting apps, only the work of porting will be considered, unless the original program is from the same programmer and was developed or extended in the Competition timeframe.
If you'd like to take a look at last year's competition wiki, it will give you a feel of what to expect this time around.

http://wiki.maemo.org/MeeGo_Coding_Competition_2011

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-05-14 at 14:16.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,023 | Thanked: 4,421 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Argentina
@kojacker:
Thanks for your reply
I'm not complaining about the competition. Zehjoktah did everything he could to help me and I understand it's not a community problem.
But as I can see, Nokia has covered all shipping costs for N900 and doesn't did the same for N9. That's all.

About new competition: can I participate?
I've made huge changes in flowplayer for N9 and I've made a last.fm radio, but I've already posted those apps. I have more things in mind. Should I wait for the competition opening to release something more?
CallBlocker for Harmattan

Support my work:
Paypal / Bitcoin

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CepiPerez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 747 | Thanked: 2,370 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Moscow, Russia
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
If you'd like to take a look at last year's competition wiki, it will give you a feel of what to expect this time around.
Thank you for reply, I have already studied the wiki of last year' competition

The Following User Says Thank You to Custodian For This Useful Post:
But as I can see, Nokia has covered all shipping costs for N900 and doesn't did the same for N9. That's all.
Hmm.. the two prizes might have been sourced differently, maybe someone who was involved with arranging the prizes with Nokia can confirm why there was a difference in shipping tax being paid/refunded. But in any case, you make a good point CepiPerez that we should do our best to know these things before packages are sent to winners so that nobody gets an unexpected bill on their doorstep!

About new competition: can I participate?
Gosh yes!

I've made huge changes in flowplayer for N9 and I've made a last.fm radio, but I've already posted those apps. I have more things in mind. Should I wait for the competition opening to release something more?
Hmm.. the original idea of the competition was to get everyone making and releasing more new stuff, so I suspect already completed code may not count again this year. It all depends what the rules will be for 2012 - it's too early to say for sure! But dont hold back on anything you can release because who knows when the competition will start. And now we know you have new stuff to release we become greedy and want it all now! hehe

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Hmm.. the two prizes might have been sourced differently, maybe someone who was involved with arranging the prizes with Nokia can confirm why there was a difference in shipping tax being paid/refunded.
I wasn't involved in last year's competition and I don't know the details right now. However, this year it will be sourced through the Nokia Developer infrastructure, and there it is usually Nokia who covers all the shipment costs. I have managed many device programs and I'm not aware of any participant involved that had to pay him/herself.

Conclusion: assume no shipping / tax costs for winners.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas