Notices

This is an advanced and very fast version of gpsd which should be compatible with the mapping program. It will log location (along with NMEA output) to KML (KMZ) files in a selectable location. I have a configuration/start/stop/status program written in Python, both statusbar and normal app versions.

GPL.

I haven't gotten the documentation down (help is welcome), but can provide some support in this thread or via PM.

It has a number of dependencies (in the deb) which may require extra repositories, but I don't have a clean tablet install to check which might need to be added (bluez-utils-test will probably require red-pill, but these aren't test utilities as much as configuration utilities like ping and ifconfig).

GPSGate is supported via TCP using an IMEI number.

The statusbar icon is initially blank but turns red when starting, has a red border when not locked and green when locked. Small dots go from blue to red-hot to white-hot depending on signal strength and there is a position indicator (needing improvement). It pops up the configuration menu to start/stop/set minigpsd. It uses more CPU than I would like and I'm fixing that. The standalone app is a near clone and does the same thing.

http://www.zdez.org/tzgps-0.30-pre1.tar

(Update - see later posts for fixed, with later preN.deb files - this tar has some of the base stuff which still might be useful)

contains the 3 debs and the source. minigpsdconf.txt in the minigpsd source tree describes the options.

This is an EARLY beta, and I plan on fixing a few things, but it is installable AFAIK, but want to see if anyone has problems.

Last edited by tz1; 2008-10-12 at 22:18. Reason: Noted updates in later posts

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ South Bend IN
Since I had to go find the file for bluez-utils-test I thought I'd post a link to help any one else scrambling:

http://repository.maemo.org/pool/dia...b/bluez-utils/

I have the repository in my list, but for some reason it isn't refreshing. I don't really understand why there are 3 of them anyways, extras and extras-devel should cover the 2 factions of end-user and power-user...

Looking forward to checking it out, and also to cpu optimization :-)

Last edited by hvacengi; 2008-10-10 at 22:06.

Well, that's not what they're there for; the distinction between extras and extras-devel is stability, but the difference of tools is that it's for power-users, or more accurately, developers.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by hvacengi View Post
I have the repository in my list, but for some reason it isn't refreshing.
How have you added it? I added it when the Diablo SDK was out :P and wrote up my settings for it:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3405#c6

Though to actually see any benefits to that repo, you need to use apt-get or the unrecommended, horrible

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ South Bend IN
Sorry tz1, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I just was trying to say that I thought the tools could fit in the devel repository. Qwerty, I installed the repository some time a while ago (I seem to think it was before the upgrade to diablo, but I could be remembering wrong if it is only around for diablo). At the time I just added "repository.maemo.org" with free and non free. But recently it's been giving me a 404 error. I noticed on the page you linked that the components are different. I'll have to try that, thanks!

Seems like the control app works fine, but I can't get the status bar icon to show up. I'll have to try and open it with python to see if I can get any error's loading the modules. Thanks for your work on this tz1!

No, I have a bug report or two about the app manager and things which Nokia calls "tools" but are utilities or libraries. So they are "stable", but are stuck in the red-pill black hole instead of extras or extras-devel. I might be able to duplicate something in Python or C, but it would be a big hassle. I just need to create the rfcomm instance and do l2pings.

bluez-utils-test should maybe be called something else and moved to extras, but I have no way of convincing anyone to make that happen. And there are a few other "test/developer" things which are actually utilities. Let them put the "not obtained from nokia", perhaps a non-nokia mirror of the tools in a "user/experimental" directory would work, but the debs themselves say which category they are in.

There seems to be a problem with the statusbar not enabling. Probably something the python hildon-desktop-applet integration needs or maybe even simpler. Does it work on anyone's system?

Also, for the configuration, you can specify a device so it works with USB modems in USB host mode (instead of BT:rfcommX:..., use /dev/ttyACM0 or /dev/ttyUSB0 for the external GPS). It uses a BT gps IN ADDITION to the n810s (if you leave the BT gps in the car, it will still track - I use a 10Hz or 5Hz when I'm on the motorcycle for the detail and precision).

All the NMEA sentences are logged so if you want to see the accuracy or signal strength you can view it, however if you load them in to GoogleEarth and save them, this information will be lost, but the files will be much smaller.

I just got one of those 16Gb microSDs so I'll be testing that today, but the files created aren't that large even with my engine data.

Fixed(?) statusbar

http://www.zdez.org/minigpsd-sb.py

put in /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/

import gnome.gconf v.s. import gconf. This should be fixed in the python module - I manually fixed my test platform but didn't get the backfill right.

Please try this

updated deb:

http://www.zdez.org/TZGPSD-Statusbar...-0.30-pre2.deb

Last edited by tz1; 2008-10-11 at 17:44. Reason: location and deb

Works great now stat icon and minigpsd . Gpsgate.com seems to be working good also Loged my tracks for the last few hours . don't know if gpsgate reconnects after disconnect from server .

It's is funny how fast your gpsd finds sats I can lock in 3d in under a minute . where the default gpsd sucks ... can take upto 5+ min... .

Great Works
Thanks
Computerfreek

Tags
gps, obd2