This update includes small feature enhancements and corrections which provide improved performance

Originally Posted by Hybride
This update includes small feature enhancements and corrections which provide improved performance
Thank you very much for the info. To the update page!
http://www.europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,79636,00.html

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ The Netherlands
Just installed the "update" which weighs over 59 mb on my PC. It seems to be an image, and you end up with a fresh out of the box 770 . luckily it urges you to make a backup first, just cancel away all wizards and restore your backed up files, additional installed apps are gone though...

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Hong Kong
Hmm... it's seems the backup software doesn't save the settings of the additional installed apps. I think I'll tar and backup the whole home dir just to be sure...

any noticable changes?

Have to write my excited first experiences: Three concurrent browser windows opened and pdf-reader, all windows much more responsive than with previous version. Actually with that load, previous version wasn't responsive at all. WLAN connects with first try, no more several retries and network not found error messages.
I'm impressed, but this is just very first five minutes, have to try WPA soon.

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Hong Kong
I tried to update using the the windows binaries, but I keep getting an error while unpacking Nokia_770_Software_Update.exe.

So instead I downloaded Nokia_770_0.2005.45-8.bin from http://www.maemo.org/downloads/nokia_770.

The system seems to be more responsive. I tried opening a large PDF file with images. I used to hang the system. Well it still does, but only the PDF application itself. I can still access the other menus and start new applications. Now I'm looking for a way to kill the PDF application (without starting xterm to kill the process)...

Thank you Samuel and others at Nokia! WPA works for us poor ones with only one AP on sight!
Original problem here:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...read.php?t=345

So, I wonder if this is why it's been delayed in the US. They were waiting for the new patch to pass QA and roll out. They may have a bunch of flashing of units to do.

If this is true it would have been nice if someone at Nokia said so. We'd all have happily waited instead of sitting here rabbling. :P

Mel

This is very very good. Browsing and loading through wifi is now really fast after the update. Everything runs very smooth!