Tons of people have documented how SmartSearch drains battery and eats up cpu. However, what exactly IS smartsearch?

I've done a ton of searching and I can't seem to find any answers... What is SmartSearch's intended purpose? What exactly is it doing that uses up so many resources?

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to Wowfunhappy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wowfunhappy View Post
Tons of people have documented how SmartSearch drains battery and eats up cpu. However, what exactly IS smartsearch?

I've done a ton of searching and I can't seem to find any answers... What is SmartSearch's intended purpose? What exactly is it doing that uses up so many resources?

Thanks!
I might be wrong, but my wild guessing is that it's related with all those auto searching for all those supported media (photos/documents/videos/musics/text) to make it ready to be show faster within the N9 once u need it... I myself also having wondering what different between the smartsearch vs the tracker...

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sydney
If you disable it you lose the ability to use the 'Search' application.

Originally Posted by sklchan View Post
I myself also having wondering what different between the smartsearch vs the tracker...
Exactly, isn't that what the tracker is for?

Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
well, tracker vs smart search is like kernel vs some app
tracker is developed to listen kernel events and track down things, while smartsearch is totally non kernel, that's why it needs so much power to exists. that would be very reasonable reason, but it needs full reversing of smartsearch...to be confirmed.
smartsearch idea is ok...though, but not as this, not in user mode...it needs full access to hardware so it can implement indexing methods better and less demanding.
anyway, if smartsearch is using kernel mode to index data, then it's developed by someone i really wouldn't like to comment...

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ India, Canada
Um hi, I didn't know where to post this. But I want to restore smartsearch but set its priority to 10. I had removed it a few months ago using the command
"chmod -x /usr/bin/smartsearch"
Anyone know how I can reactivate it?

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by nonikhanna View Post
Um hi, I didn't know where to post this. But I want to restore smartsearch but set its priority to 10. I had removed it a few months ago using the command
"chmod -x /usr/bin/smartsearch"
Anyone know how I can reactivate it?
chmod +x /usr/bin/smartsearch

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
chmod +x /usr/bin/smartsearch

to restore

edit: damn, somebody delete me!

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
I'd like to post here something I learned from an insightful conversation with pvanhoof on IRC #tracker:

- Tracker is an indexer that doesn't touch your data in any way except for reading it and allowing other programs to read it; the team behind it have worked real hard on making it as power efficient.

- Smart search was created by another team who created the Search app. The Search app required an index to function and the team behind it instead of using a plug-in via tracker decided to go it on their own due to regular Nokia politics.

- While you can get away with smart search if done on a PC, you certainly can't get away from it on a mobile device where power efficiency is very crucial.

- Smart search is basically repeating what tracker already does in the most power-inefficient way by running processes as user not as a built-in service hence it sucks up more power than tracker.

- The heads who were supposed to decide on going with one system for indexing decided that since smart search was only powering the Search app to extend its functionality to things like email attachments, choosing ring-tones etc hence we have 2 systems doing the same thing just 1 of them (tracker) being more useful and more power efficient while the other is something if you disable you end up losing some functionality.

- The team behind tracker was decommissioned even before November 2011! Two of them had their contracts expired in November 2011 so since then they have not been able to improve tracker or its bugs.

- The bugs that they received for tracker most of the time have not been related to tracker but assigned to tracker due to tracker being the "easy target". The team have tried numerous times to get other teams who they think may be responsible for issues to conference and fix bugs but they have got 0 positive response from any other team.

- The last bug they fixed was in pr1.2 after which they have had almost NIL contact. Different sub-contractors were commissioned for pr1.3 hence the royal mess we find ourselves with so-called tracker issues since pr1.3 has been out (I'll admit I have been guilty on blaming tracker too wrongly).

MEDIA DISAPPEARANCE
- Corruption of ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs is something not related to tracker and could be further investigated by us using block_dump. However, you would need to enable this and wait for the corruption to occur.

- Media disappearing due to the above error hence is not tracker's fault

- In fact media disappearing is to be blamed on apps using tracker's database; the default apps could be blamed for corruption of database too.

- Any app can corrupt the database with just one variable added hence this is not a tracker limitation but the way things have been arranged.

MESSAGING
- Messages coming from one contact but being assigned to another contact in messaging-ui is another bug that we always blame tracker for.

- This is not true as messaging-ui has its own database not related to tracker (again another mistake to have own db)

- If you check meta.db the messages are assigned correctly but messaging-ui is the one at fault as its own database screws things somewhere.

- In short the coding for messaging-ui has some short-comings hence this "unsolvable" issue

- abustany faces the same issues and when/if free he will try trouble-shooting this further but no guarantees on it being successful.

Finally, the above is what I understood from the conversation so it may mean that due to my re-collection I may have omitted some things or misinterpreted some so please don't blame any people I named above as they have all been very kind to have such a conversation in the first place when Nokia have expressly decided not to have relations with them going as far as to contract some other teams for pr1.3.

Edit: The original smart search issue was highlighted by pvanhoof in his blogpost

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-11-27 at 12:34.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Smartsearch i see it more as mallwareor spyware than useful thing, just hanging there but does nothing...is it spyware or something!