Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
"FYI: Nokia N900 is not a phone, its an internet tablet with phone functionality."

Your joking right? there is no way the N900 is a tablet... please go look at all the mobile phones on the market today as they all have more or less the same size screen and in fact some are bigger than the N900 and are still not classed as an internet tablet.

It is 100% a mobile telephone that kinda half works, could have been a lot lot better if Nokia kept up with the Maemo development.

Originally Posted by magick777 View Post
On one level, you're preaching to the converted - my servers are FreeBSD, my desktop is Debian, my router is DD-WRT and I didn't buy a Linux phone by accident. :-)

That said, I can pay for one contract SIM at a time, so the N900 is most definitely a phone - in fact, it is now my only phone, being the only GSM terminal I carry and also the SIP phone that fields all my landline calls when at home.
WARNING - OFF-TOPIC - SORRY!!

I have DDWRT at home too with Asterisk on it and it's working fine with VoIP ATA but can't find a configuration to make it work both ways (receiving audio and speaking) when connected to wlan and outside via HSDPA.

I know I could have spent more time debugging but actually is on my low-priority list.
Maybe you have some suggestion or a working config for me to test it?

Thanks and sorry for off-topic.

I'm afraid I haven't gotten round to playing with Asterisk yet, it's not included in the DD-WRT build for my (cheap and nasty Virgin Media freebie) DIR-615, so the SIP is all from third-party providers here.

As a statement of general principle, I haven't been able to get any form of VoIP to work over 3G on any of the UK mobile networks - I'm not sure if that's a network restriction or a purely technological one. SIP works fine over my home WiFi, and not at all over very much else.

The Following User Says Thank You to magick777 For This Useful Post:
To preserve the device for a long time it' surely necessary to handle the usb-port with care.

well ive recently got one with another two years warrenty. so if it breaks am asking for an N9

I'm afraid I haven't gotten round to playing with Asterisk yet, it's not included in the DD-WRT build for my (cheap and nasty Virgin Media freebie) DIR-615, so the SIP is all from third-party providers here.

As a statement of general principle, I haven't been able to get any form of VoIP to work over 3G on any of the UK mobile networks - I'm not sure if that's a network restriction or a purely technological one. SIP works fine over my home WiFi, and not at all over very much else.
I've found that this is usually is a restriction with most mobile plans that come with unlimited internet. If however you pay for mobile broadband the restrictions on speed and SIP are lifted.

I have used sip with '3 UK' and it works fine. I dont use it very much because it kills the battery very quickly.

Not sure about DIR-615, but if you can get openwrt on it then you could use asterisk packages which come along with it.

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
to preserve it as long as possible.

Take care of it

i don't overclock mine. i have a screen protector from day 1. i filed the usb connections on the cables so they won't pull it out. i say the battery will need to be changed. my warranty is up in feb 2012 so hopefully it lasts until then. i will probably be getting the N9 so will not use the n900 as much but i want to keep it as it's a one of a kind.

Hehe... to preserve it as long as possible, store in a cool, dry, dark place away from direct sunlight and strong odours, and out of the reach of children! All good points, I do use a screen protector, I'm careful with the USB and there's a Scud on the way from Lucia Lui at present.

My purpose in this thread, though, is about fixing the minor niggles, keeping up to speed with hardware and software developments and making it something I want to preserve as long as possible. If I can figure that out, and have confidence in my ability to restore from a bare-metal backup, I may just buy a spare N900...