Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
New Galaxy S 2 GL benchmarks show even higher top performance!
http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedeta...9100+Galaxy+S2

Very, very impressive results.
Well i am gone waiting - tomorrow I order one from the UK. Can't see the sensation beating that bastard and now that I realised its a quadband 3g phone and can use it with tmobile. I am sold ... now just have to justify the price to the missus. Maybe I can give up beer
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Well i am gone waiting - tomorrow I order one from the UK. Can't see the sensation beating that bastard and now that I realised its a quadband 3g phone and can use it with tmobile. I am sold ... now just have to justify the price to the missus. Maybe I can give up beer
I have a hard time taking other handsets seriously in all honesty. This phone is top notch in almost every category standing. For example, the last Galaxy S had superb audio from the headphone jack (loaded and unloaded) and I fully expect that this device will feature similar if not better audio. This type of thing seems generally an afterthought among OEMs.

The GPU performance is extremely impressive and it should be able to handle demanding games with relative ease. It's easily the fastest smartphone on the market currently, but that will surely change in a week at the rate this industry is moving

In all seriousness, expecting more out of another handset will come down to your opinion about the OS that it runs. In terms of hardware, the S II is tops.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
It's official, Honeycomb will not be open sourced!
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/11/0...e-Open-Sourced

The stated reason: busted phone functionality. Instead, Ice Cream Sandwich will be released.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Heh heh... Indeed, a very welcome feature, especially for increasingly capable devices.

I see Android as being the most popular user OS in the not so distant future. I forsee increasing devices moving over to this much-simplified method of computing -- even Apple seems to be moving away from intel which means that iOS may find a home on its macbook line. That said, I expect Android to become more competent as a desktop alternative as app support improves and the market shifts to ARM.

I couldn't use Android as my main system currently (I rely entirely to much on TL) but I wouldn't feel bad about adopting it *if* it could do what I needed. Certain aspects of the system are very enticing, but at the end of the day, it's power and legacy that holds me. I suspect that this will change in time.
Is Microsoft panicking yet? Oh right right... Microsoft already jumped the shark when Balmer threw that chair across the room at the mention of Google, I suppose.

Here's a little more controversy for the TL/Android discussion...

Andy Rubin explains why Android is not a Community Driven Project:

http://androidandme.com/2011/05/news...riven-project/

Have at it.
Actually--I tend to agree that that's what they're doing. Not sure I can argue anything here.

It's official, Honeycomb will not be open sourced!
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/11/0...e-Open-Sourced

The stated reason: busted phone functionality. Instead, Ice Cream Sandwich will be released.
Sounds reasonable to me, actually. At least they're promising to open-source the better, newer one.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Does anyone else see a problem with using a cloud based music service? Specifically the RIAA?

At some point you just have to think that the RIAA will start throwing subpoenas around just to see what if anything will stick. Their lawyers must be salivating thinking about all those people about to put large amounts of music online all in one place, with the ability to be shared out to multiple devices.

I don't think that they can really do much, but all they need is one judge who doesn't understand it to side with them. Certainly a lot of potential for abuse of the system. Enough to convince a judge to let them go fishing?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
NFC sharing in Android? Very nice:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/11/a...ream-sandwich/
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49L7z3rxz4Q (1hour)

A lovely addition!

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Does anyone else see a problem with using a cloud based music service? Specifically the RIAA?

At some point you just have to think that the RIAA will start throwing subpoenas around just to see what if anything will stick. Their lawyers must be salivating thinking about all those people about to put large amounts of music online all in one place, with the ability to be shared out to multiple devices.

I don't think that they can really do much, but all they need is one judge who doesn't understand it to side with them. Certainly a lot of potential for abuse of the system. Enough to convince a judge to let them go fishing?
It will be very interesting, especially since many major players are doing this. People with illegal music collections will likely not use it, but there's likely to be a bit of nervousness even if you have a legal collection.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Lightning Science and Ice Cream Sandwich promise drop-dead-simple home-automation for your lights:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/11/l...ses-dead-simpl

I'm really looking forward to this. If not just to control my speakers, lights, and home theater, this would be killer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
It will be very interesting, especially since many major players are doing this. People with illegal music collections will likely not use it, but there's likely to be a bit of nervousness even if you have a legal collection.
I'd be willing to bet that even someone with a "legal" collection has a track or two that may not be. Plus, there's the CD's I owned but lost, got scratched and disposed of, mp3's that were purchased from a now defunct site, mp3's that were purchased legally with drm, but have since had the drm removed (is that legal?), etc, etc.

Who could really "prove" that they had "legally" purchased each and every one of perhaps hundreds or thousands of digital music files? Not to mention the intimidation factor. If you choose to fight, and they can find even one illegitimate file, they'd press for the full fine ($150k per ?). IANAL, and don't know all the details (and I'm sure most folks don't either), so I have a choice between large legal fees, and a large fine, or pay the smaller amount they typically offer, or just don't take the chance at all, and keep my collection out of the cloud (at least until the risks have been better defined).

Ehh, just mere speculation anyway. I'm sure Google has considered all the legal ramifications they may face, so probably very little chance of that happening.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Aaaannnd everywhere is out of supply. Earliest idea of resupply is May 25th. Good times.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy