Active Topics

Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Originally Posted by Bubbless View Post
Little birds told me that the camera on Jolla C/Intex is (a lot) better than the one in Jolla.
Making it worse would be difficult

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
At least it has 2 GB of RAM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterMaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by romu View Post
Ports are great, but have all some kind of issues.
That's not the only consideration though...

I've been using the Fairphone 2 for quite a while now, and the small software related issues that I have (PPI not detected properly, very occasional ~2 weekly keyboard crash that causes a reboot) are far less annoying than the serious hardware issues that I had with Jolla 1 (earpiece speaker broke very quickly due to dodgy contact/bad build quality, something wrong with the SIM holder that repeatedly corrupted my SIM cards in a way that meant my data would stop working suddenly, and then eventually i'd have no service at all until I went into town and replaced the SIM).

How do you repair a Jolla 1? You can't even get spare parts for most of it. How do you repair a Fairphone? Hopefully you won't have to because the build quality is better to start with. If you do need to make a repair, you can order the parts from the manufacturer and do it yourself instead of sending it off to Finland...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 1,105 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
It's not that simple, and I can say that because I've used a N5 with SFOS as my primary phone for some months.

Ports are great, but have all some kind of issues. And more, I don't know any port usable on a daily basis on a good small phone, let say a Sony Zx Compact for example.
Just to be on the safe side: You know there's a cm12 based sfos for the nexus5 which improves battery life significantly, bluetooth stability and solves the video recording issue? As kodi is available natively (thanks to liar) i don't need sfdroid, getting back OTA for cm12 base is a matter time.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:
Making it worse would be difficult
LOL. Making it equally bad would be somewhat easier though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubbless For This Useful Post:
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Bubbless View Post
LOL. Making it equally bad would be somewhat easier though.
I'm not so sure - I think ODMs would find it very difficult to source any more 1-cent potato-based image sensors these days.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
I don't particularly see the point of this. At least not the transparent 'developer programme' / 'community device' stuff. Also seems like a poor value prospect when you'll be able to import the identical Intex device for significantly less (and with a proper warranty - albeit at distance - presumably).

Only way it makes sense is to gauge interest ahead of a possible larger run.

It does serve one useful purpose for the remnants of the community, though. We now know that Intex availability is aimed at July ... but as this is Jolla, that probably means December.

Frankly, I'm amazed Intex have stuck with them.

The only thing I'm really concerned with is that now we know C / Intex have a quad core, if they'll fix Sailfish to actually be able to use 2 cores or more properly. If not, they might as well have specified a dual core, as the extra 2 cores would be useless for all tasks except Alien Dalvik based ones.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
It IS a COMMUNITY device, where did you get the idea it is developers device from?
Isn't it should be the same and they should build developers community?
And how so to become a member of community you need just to pay the fee. What does it remind you btw? And how do I become member of community if i buy this device and not other Jolla device? Isn't anyone buying any Jolla device, even not Jolla's but device with ported SFOS part of the community. Don't you think actually that those who bought android devices to port and support Jolla. Those who donated refund to them. Those who active in community and create a lot of apps. Maybe those people deserve to get free one's from them. But if they just sell phone for full price with no warranty and as they out they check if they can sell more(reminds me second waves of tablets btw). I do not think is anything about community, but mostly about money chi-ching.

Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Any news/inside for second batch? Really want this device but missed the order...

The Following User Says Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
Also seems like a poor value prospect when you'll be able to import the identical Intex device for significantly less (and with a proper warranty - albeit at distance - presumably).
Care to specify that 'significantly less' with actual figures?

If you do, take into consideration proper VAT (for different countries) + postage.
How would you 'import' from Snapdeal - via agent or take a trip to India? Consider those, too.

What comes to warranty and distance: limitations exist e.g. you cannot ship mobile phones from UK to India, you cannot ship devices with batteries via post office from Finland to India (only via courier i.e. UPS/DHL, read: costly) etc... I'm sure other limitations exist. Of course, you can take (another) trip to India which is a bit pricey for that -as you put it- 'proper warranty' and IMO practically nullifies it altogether in usefulness.

Not saying you're wrong, I'd just like to see what 'significantly less' actually comes down to, proper warranty or not.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tmi For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla c, sailfish os