gentlemen/ ladies,

how are you all?

last night whilst out on the town i managed to drop my nokia n900 water.

the phone was powering up sometimes without screen working and sometimes screen working but responding very poorly

i am not too overly concerned because i have n96 and e90 in my drawer ready for use, but i will certainly be upset that my n900 has been put to spoils.

the battery died last night, and i hope after a charge, everything will be okay.

any other suggestions

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lima-Peru
Sure, you can put the n900 in rice so it can absorb the moisture

here is a video which show it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC9gW3Sfiig

My wife dropped her e63 into bucket of water. we took battery out straight away. took cover off stripped down and let dry for 48 hours. It worked just fine after.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
The general advice for water dipped electronic is:

Take out the battery immediately so as not to further damage the device.

Leave it to dry for a few days. Putting it together/inside a container of rice may help, because they abso moisture.

Optionally, if you're familiar with the device, take it apart before leaving it to dry. to speed upnthe process and ensure more thorough drying process.

Sorry to hear about your accident, hope it all works out for the best.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

the worse thing you can do for any device after getting it wet is keeping it on and/or turning it on. having juice flowing is what causes the actual damage in the form of a short somewhere.

anytime you get a device wet, IMMEDIATELY do as much of the following that applies: unplug it, turn it off, and remove the battery.

after that, you just want to allow the device to dry off. you do a bunch of things to help speed up the process like remove covers and such. you want it to be completely dry before you try turning it back on and testing for any damage.

Originally Posted by Shinigamijim View Post
Sure, you can put the n900 in rice so it can absorb the moisture

here is a video which show it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC9gW3Sfiig

thanks dude

certainly useful information

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California
The way I saved my GF's iPhone, after running through a full cycle of wash, was by:

--disassemble immediately
--soak in rubbing alcohol for a few seconds (so that alcohol repels water moisture and drying become quicker; as well as to wash away any water impurities that may show up after drying)
--blow dry with compressed air (make sure the streaming air if not to close or part of phone can get blown off and/or moisture could get forced into more places)
--then leave for a full day in a sunny hot car in a bowl of rice

All of that was immediately done after discovering the iPhone being soaked in water. Odds are, if you left it soaked overnight, that there's enough corrosion the next day for the device to be irreversibly damaged. This is especially true with salt/ocean water. My previous phone, BlackBerry, didn't even survive a couple of hours after being immersed into ocean water, as the metal contacts have crystallized by the time I got home.

Last edited by Swirnoff; 2011-02-06 at 22:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to Swirnoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
I've read that rice doesn't actually do anything to help absorb moisture, the results people see from it are largely due to the amount of time they leave it in the rice, but it won't hurt if you want to do it, though putting it somewhere warm would be better, and also dismantling will help.

it was not in water for an extensive time at all

i am just hoping my n900 can be salvaged

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
I've read that rice doesn't actually do anything to help absorb moisture, the results people see from it are largely due to the amount of time they leave it in the rice, but it won't hurt if you want to do it, though putting it somewhere warm would be better, and also dismantling will help.
Rice *does* help. Haven't you ever seen rice in the salt you use in the table?

Tags
set it on fire