I haven't been able to find this info elsewhere. When selecting contact pictures for the N900, it looks like it converts them to a format with significantly lower quality/size (jpeg by the looks of it). What is the "native" size of N900 contact pictures (so that I can convert the pictures with Photoshop beforehand and make sure they look better), and is there any way to influence the conversion parameters (quality)?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiSP For This Useful Post:
don't know

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ wales
then why feel the need to post then?

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver,Canada / Dubai,UAE
lol ,

If anyone knows a how to , please respond to the thread , I would like a better quality contact pictures too .

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
probably not. i quess the size is standardized and the standard is pretty lo-res

(something like 100x100 pix)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2010-04-15 at 03:50.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovakia
you have more options to assign photos to contacts
1. when viewing photos, you have the option "set as avatar", which as I remember will not allow you to crop the image (bad)
2. when editing individual contact, you can choose the avatar from image and after that you can crop the image (good)
3. If your contact has some IM account assigned, avatar is transferred from the IM network, resized and with very low compression (bad)

You actually cannot have larger images.

The Following User Says Thank You to lomo For This Useful Post:
It's a bit obvious but editing individual contacts is better than assigning form images. I have also found stock .jpgs taken with the N900 are much better than imported .jpgs dragged and dropped into it's mass memory or memory card from elsewhere. Even an N95's pictures dragged and dropped via a PC to my N900 seem grainy when assigned to a contact. I suppose there is a work around using photo shop or similar but my advice would be take a piccy with the N900 of what ever you want to use as a contact picture.

Originally Posted by dynomot View Post
my advice would be take a piccy with the N900 of what ever you want to use as a contact picture.
Not gonna happen, I suppose people understand this.

Well, here's another question, implying a possible solution: Where on the phone are the converted contact pictures saved? I haven't been able to find them.

Last edited by MiSP; 2010-04-15 at 21:39.

somewhere in root i guess when making a backup its where i found it after unzipping the backup file

i got a different problem with avatars not being imported from the IM accounts or actually it is imported but it is not placing them onto contacts (or didnt) it does only if the contact changing his avatar and i am online on my N900 to see it

anyone got an idea how to fix it?maybe some refreshing? anyways i made another post about it but no one is able to help me..